Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of margarine/mayo do you use?

I'm looking for a decent tasting substitute to traditional mayo and butter/margarine. I don't like kraft lite I know that.

I really want a good tasting mayo substitute... I love tuna salad and would love to include it in my post op diet.

And butter... some are good, and some 'just do'. What do you like?

I use a 100% Vegan (non-dairy) Buttery Spread called "Earth Balance". It is NON-GMO 100% Expeller-Pressed Oils, Non-Hydrogenated, Trans Fat Free, Lactose Free, Gluten Free and it taste really good or I do organic real butter. I am a Helmann's mayonaise kinda girl. I don't do many substitutions there, sorry. You could go to a Whole Foods Market and get "Veganaise" I like it but can tell it's not Helmann's. Hope you find something you like.

I'm looking for a decent tasting substitute to traditional mayo and butter/margarine. I don't like kraft lite I know that.

I really want a good tasting mayo substitute... I love tuna salad and would love to include it in my post op diet.

And butter... some are good, and some 'just do'. What do you like?

Edited by health4life

Helmann's light is a good mayo....I have tried the other's and I don't like them as well. Kraft and Blue Plate are awful.

I use Land O'Lakes no salt added real butter for sticks, Brummel & Brown for tub and Hellman's Canola mayo.< /p>

Like Jack, on the rare occasion I want butter, I use butter.

For substitutions for mayo in things like tuna salad, I now use the spinach dip from Tostitas (this was on the suggestion of a bandster to use in chicken salad, and now I use it in tons of things...devilled eggs, chicken salad etc).

If it is something that just HAS to have mayo, I use the real thing. BUT I rarely (maybe once every few months) need to do so.

I hate the taste all of the lite mayo I've tried so I use Miracle Whip lite which I think tastes better than regular Miracle Whip. I use Smart Balance margarine.

I buy both products mainly for DH sake...as thin as he is, he found out two months ago that he had high cholesterol. (We were able to get it cut in half and back into the normal range in six weeks by modifying his diet!!!)

mayo makes me sick. Just the smell of it turns my stomach. I'm a Miracle Whip die hard. Nothing else......

I also don't do margarine. If I need fat for cooking it's either extra virgin olive oil or pure, real butter. I don't eat it often enough for it to matter, but I don't compromise on that either. I hate artificial anything. I don't do artificial sweetners either. We eat enough processed crap/chemicals in our diets without my adding to it......

I have these foods so seldom that I just eat the real thing. Real butter and real Mayonnaise.< /p>

I was a teenager in the 80's, the days of high carb low fat. Some things are ingrained, I will never ever drink full cream milk, I dont eat butter or mayonnaise and I dont have Condiments like mayonnaise, in fact I cant remember when we last had any in the house. So if I suddenly had a fancy, I would buy a good one and eat the real thing.

We cook with olive oil, I've never learned anything else.

I'm a fan of quality in smaller quantities though. I dont do sugar free either.

butter, in moderation

miracle whip - when making tuna/egg salad

really good extra virgin olive oil in just about every meal...LOL. i also like to use chili or sesame oil when making stir fry dishes.

sweetner - learning to go w/out, will use splenda on occassion with tea

I have a tip for tuna salad. The other day on a whim I stirred in some part-skim ricotta cheese into my tuna, added pickle relish and ate it with whole grain crackers. The ricotta added just the moisture and texture that I was looking for. I usually use a light mayo, but this was just as good to me.

I also use real butter. I cannot bring myself to touch margarine of any kind, so I try to make the portion small, but do use butter if I need to. I'll put a little dab, like 1/2 teaspoon on my steamed veggies. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to use less on my whole wheat toast. I just reintroduced whole wheat bread into my diet and can hardly stand toast without butter. I do like it with cottage cheese piled on top, but if I'm eating it mostly plain, I need butter. Plus, a 1/2 teaspoon of butter just doesn't cover the whole piece, so it's more than I should probably be using. Any suggestions for toast?

I have been known to use a buttery powder intended for popcorn on my sauteed mushrooms. I use olive oil in the pan, and put that butter flavor in with it. I don't know, though, it's still pretty artificial.

I've learned to eat toast plain, sandwiches too. I'm the same, 1/2 teaspoon covers nothing so I just dont bother. I just spread the Peanut Butter or vegemite or jam straight on. In a sandwich, I usually use avocado.

Cream cheese is good on toast (do you have the Philadelphia variety there, its good). So is avocado and Tomato. Hommus can be spread on toast too. But with things like Peanut Butter, you dont need butter too.

I'm mostly veggie, so I love using Earth Balance. For the rest of the family (who don't enjoy my hippy food, lol), I use I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Mediterranean Blend.

We're a Miracle Whip family, and always use the lite. The fat free Miracle Whip isn't as good.

Shinymommy..... Have you tried those pump sprays of butter? It's just a thought.... It might get it even on your toast, and you may end up using less this way....

I like Parkay Spray on steamed veggies (high in sodium though so I don't use much), Smart Balance Light, and have always used Helmanns Light...it is very good.