Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't get fills - am I relying on band too much?

I had the surgery 2 months ago. I have lost no more than 20 pounds. I have had 3 fills and no real restriction - I can still eat large amounts of food. I called for another fill (unlimited for the first year as part of the overall payment for the surgery) and I can't be seen for 5 weeks. I vent to my friend who had the surgery at the same time and has lost a TON of weight, has good restriction, joined a gym and doing well. She said I am relying on the band too much. I am shocked. I am relying on it for SOMETHING. What is the point otherwise? No I have not worked out with her because I have a 1 year old at home alone with me and have no babysitter to meet her 4 days a week and I am trying the low-carb suggestions, but again, I have tried those before and the reason I got the band in the first place is to help me because I fail at these things.

I feel like a total failure. I am so screwed up I cannot even lose weight with a drastic surgical procedure. I feel pretty bad - like I wasted all this money and time and effort for nothing.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Noahsmom - you are on a rather frustrating plateau. I know it well - I ran into the same problem...hang in there it will get better.

Try to call your doctor/fill center back and tell them if they have a cancellation to call you. A lot of times you can get fit in and won't have to wait 5 weeks.

Keep doing what you are doing. Two-Three months out I hadn't lost hardly anything (other than on the liquids/mushies phase). I think our body hits a wall at that time and is trying to figure out what you are doing to it. It has been used to you eating tons of food and doing nothing...all of a sudden you are eating enough to keep a three year old alive and actually exercising. Don't quit. Keep following your doctor's guidlines. I know it is hard to stop yourself from eating when your tummy says it's not full yet. Measure out your food and eat to where you are satisified. Log what you eat. Measure yourself. I'm sure you are losing in inches and getting smaller. Eventually things will start turning around.

I Know how you feel!! I had surgery 2-5-08 and am down 40 pounds. I didn't have restriction at all until June after 7 fills. I thought my band was broken. What your going through is bandster hell! It sucks! Having a band and no restriction. You think your going to lose weight the day after your surgery. Wrong! My weight loss has been slow and steady. Now it's better because I'm not starving all the time. I have a 2 year old and no gym within 40 miles. I try to do push ups aerobics anything to move a little around the house more than normal. It is very hard to do anything with a one year old! Especially if your still breastfeeding. Don't be to hard on yourself. I met a new friend in the hospital. She and I email every week. She has been such a support. But it's been hard not to compare. She had restriction right away and was down 100 pounds in six months!! Very unusual for the band. She did out weigh me by 120 pounds but still. So try not to compare. She also has massive lose skin to deal with down the road. What matters is the weight is off for good even if it takes 2 years. Make sure your getting all your Protein. Hang in there! Chrissie

I had the surgery 2 months ago. I have lost no more than 20 pounds. I have had 3 fills and no real restriction - I can still eat large amounts of food. I called for another fill (unlimited for the first year as part of the overall payment for the surgery) and I can't be seen for 5 weeks. I vent to my friend who had the surgery at the same time and has lost a TON of weight, has good restriction, joined a gym and doing well. She said I am relying on the band too much. I am shocked. I am relying on it for SOMETHING. What is the point otherwise? No I have not worked out with her because I have a 1 year old at home alone with me and have no babysitter to meet her 4 days a week and I am trying the low-carb suggestions, but again, I have tried those before and the reason I got the band in the first place is to help me because I fail at these things.

I feel like a total failure. I am so screwed up I cannot even lose weight with a drastic surgical procedure. I feel pretty bad - like I wasted all this money and time and effort for nothing.

I am with you totally Noahsmom! I had surgery May 8 & have only lost 15 lbs so there!!! I bet you don't feel so bad now. I'm also exercising 6 days a week & still no weight loss in over 3 weeks. I think the only time there is a loss is after a fill when all I can have is liquids. I've had 4 fills & have restriction but once I get past the getting "stuck" at each meal I can eat way more than I should be able to. I didn't shell out all this cash to be on a diet AGAIN! I cannot stay on a diet for life that is what I want the band to do. I'm somewhat careful of what I eat but sometimes I just can't control the hunger with diet foods. If I could I would be $14K richer! I go for another fill next Monday & hopefully that will do the trick. Good luck to you as well. BTW, I'm surprised to hear you've had so many fills only 2 mos out.

Well i feel like your telling my story. I had my band late june of this year so i'm 10 weeks out this fri. I have had two fills that i have had to beg my dr. For he now tells me he does not like to give them very often even though his letutre says he gives them every two weeks as needed when i sighned with him. Unfortunatlly i have alot of family members and friends that would benifit from the procedure but i can't seem to give them encourging news since i to have only lost 20 lbs and am hungery all the time. I feel like i am on a strick diet and told my dr. That. So my husband and i will be going this sat to talk to him and see what we can come up with. I don't like how at first he seemed very aggrisive about what i would be getting with the band and now nothing. With that said my husband , niece, and cousin has backed out of getting they'res. And that is sad because my husband has health issuses do to his weight. So i am fustrated to say the least not to mention we spent a whole hell of alot of money to get this done. We also have two friends that had the band and each have lost lost and lost weight but they went with another dr.

noahsmom, i think you'll do best by not comparing your journey with someone else's. it's hard to do, i know that - i was banded the same day as my husband & he got to goal under 6 months. by month 4 i hadn't even lost 30lbs, and he was just about done. he didn't workout - like i did, he still ate crappy food - i didn't. i found coming to this site helped A LOT.

leslie makes a good point - journal your food; i still do this everyday. i may not like what's logged, but i can only get a good grasp of my calories by doing so.

it took me 7 fills for proper restriction (was able to go every 2wks) - just try to do better on food choices while waiting. exercise, throw the baby in a stroller and hit the street. start small, and increase your days & duration....you'll feel so much better moving; and it really does contribute to the loss column.

good luck to ya,

WHEW! Thank God I posted - you guys make me feel SO MUCH BETTER! I felt like my friend was saying if she can do it why can't I? We are different people - different lives (she is single and no kids - I was always thinner under those circumstances myself, but that is an excuse too) Anyway - I felt like a total loser and my doc also really bullsh--ed me on what he would do for me AFTER the surgery, now it is pretty obvious he wanted the money for the surgery and he is pretty much done. Bummer..... I am going to start writing everything down and I think maybe I am eating a lot less than I am thinking. THANKS!