Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band - don't do it!! Scarred for life

I am truly sorry to hear about the problems you have had. I really have to wonder why you would have allowed yourself to suffer for three long years though? If you were having those kinds of problems, and your doctor was unresponsive, the best thing to have done would have been to seek a second opinion. How experienced was your doctor in band placement? What type of post-op diet did he have you on?

I have had my band for 2 1/2 years. The first year was a dream. The second year, I had problems. I spent too long being too tight and throwing up every meal. I understand about ice cream, it does go down very well when nothing else does. The reason it went on too long was my own personal fault, because I did not go visit my surgeon. Once I did, he was very responsive to my problems and immediately set out to resolve the issues I had. Basically, by not going to see him after being so tight for so long and constantly throwing up, I caused my band to slip. So, I had to have a complete unfill. Then, again, due to my own silly fears of getting too tight again, it was a long time before I was ready to get filled again. In fact, I finally did because he called me and told me to come in. He gave me the kick in the butt I needed. He gave me a fill and told me I was not going to be happy with him because it was aggressive and it was going to force me to relearn all the bandster rules of eating, which I had abandoned. And, he was right. For the first couple of days, I hated him and my band again. I threw up everything. Finally, I took responsibility for myself. I started cutting my food in tiny, tiny bites again. I started chewing to mush again. I waited a bit between bites to make sure everything was going down well and to see if I got my stop sign. It was amazing, once I took responsibility and started following the bandster rules again, everything was beautiful. I am able to eat anything I want as long as I remember those rules. I am able to dine out with coworkers, family and friends without problems. And, I am losing weight.

The people you quoted were people who were having problems. However, everyone in this forum is having problems, that is why they are posting in here. How about quoting some of the hundreds and hundreds of members we have here on LBT who have been successful and love their bands? There are many, many who we also do not see here very often anymore. We miss them, but are happy for them because they have succeeded with their weight loss goals and are out living their wonderfully happy, healthier lives.

Gastric bypass surgery is not for everyone. DS is not for everyone. Lapband is not for everyone. Plain old dieting without wls is not for everyone as many have tried and tried but do not succeed. Everyone has to follow their own path and choose what is best for them. The most important thing is that we research, research and research some more to make sure we know what we are getting in to, understand what is going to be expected of us in order to be successful and are honest with ourselves about our willingness and ability to make the commitment to do what is required with whatever weight loss method we choose. And, if you have problems, as a patient, it is our right to receive proper and competent medical care and we should demand it from our doctors. If we do not receive the care we need from them, then it is our responsibility to seek a new doctor who will ensure we are successful and healthy.

Best of luck to you.

You sound very jaded. I'm new to lap band but I researched it well. It a trail and error eating challenge. You also have to be commited to changing you entire lifestyle. It sound like you took the easy way out.

I can find lots of things that go for and against the lap band on the internet. I still choose to point out that you did not seek medical help, throwing up is a BIG problem, why the hell let it go on for 3 years? Please...

I agree you were looking for an easy out. Well sorry the band isn't that! And for the record I have had the band for over 2 years now and THE only time I throw up is *if* I got a fill too tight, and I immediately would go back to the Dr to get it removed. Sorry you didn't take your life seriously enough to do that.

I pray that anyone contemplating the band does read this and sees what complete crap this is! My life with the band gets better everyday! That smile you see on top is there for a reason, and THAT was 30 pounds ago!

Your story is sad, but again I stress you made a choice to live 3 years that way. That is NOT the way my experience has been. My guess is you will not even have the guts to post here again!

I totally agree with what Susan has said. I know that I did not get enough information prior to banding and don't know if it was timing, surgeon or if I needed the trial and error of surgery which I wish I could have avoided.

The more problems you read here the more prepared a person can be in making the decision. Even though the lap band seems "mild" and less evasive than other WLS it's still surgery and can cause many complications and may not turn out as we expect. So the information needs to get out to all the patients prior to banding and I believe doctors need to do this as not all patients think to go outside their doctor's office for information on banding and that's just how it is unfortunately. Nancy:smile:

I don't know who you can blame for someone not doing their own educating on a surgery before they get it. There's a certain kind of ignorance in a person who would have a weight loss surgery and simply goess off of a 1 hour seminar, a psych counseling, and whatever small meeting they have with the surgeon.

Be an adult, no one should have to hold your hand and tell you how to educate yourself.

I don't know who you can blame for someone not doing their own educating on a surgery before they get it. There's a certain kind of ignorance in a person who would have a weight loss surgery and simply goess off of a 1 hour seminar, a psych counseling, and whatever small meeting they have with the surgeon.

Be an adult, no one should have to hold your hand and tell you how to educate yourself.

Well I met with my surgeon two years prior to surgery and for a few times. I met with the people in his clinic many times before my surgery and still did not feel prepared for the aftermath that ensued. I've had many surgeries in my lifetime and I suppose I was not as well prepared for those either as I only met with that particular surgeon and only met one or two times prior to that surgery but I seem to be doing well anyway.

I've had second opinions before prior to a surgery but did not get one with my lap band, probably should have but being as he was the only one in my area that did that surgery I didn't. Do most people get second opinions on WLS? I don't know. Maybe we should. I speak from my own experience and possibly if I had more information prior to my surgery and had listened to someone like "myself" I wouldn't have gone through it. I did not come to LBT until after I was researching on line problems with the lap band and found this forum. I then did my research here to see if there were others like me having issues. Maybe there are a lot or maybe there aren't a lot that are still here or maybe there aren't a lot at this current time.

Good luck to all of you who are doing well as that is what I had expected myself. To those of you who are having problems I hope you're able to get them resolved and find support here also, Nancy.:crying:

I think we all just have to remember - there are going to be potential complications with any surgery. ANY surgery. We could talk about C-sections gone bad, or screwed up laparascopic knee surgery. Or people who die on the table due to anesthesia complications. There are always risks with any type of surgery.

It's good to know the pros, and even better to know the cons, that's why this forum is here - for us to learn the good, bad, ugly, amazing, results of this life-changing surgery, and decide for ourselves if it is something we choose.

For me - a lifetime of being morbidly obese, the complications both mental and physical that arise from that disease, and the societal judgements from being obese far outweigh (pun intended) the risks associated with LB.

LAPBANDFREE - I'm sorry you had the complications you did, and I'm happy for you that you were successful in losing weight after the band. I'm glad you posted your opinion, because if anything - it gives people something to ponder and discuss with their own surgeons.

I hear what you're saying Kellster, and I know your trying to be nice, but If I had came to my surgeon with the attitude that LapBandFree had in regards to the Lap Band I wouldn't have the Lap band now. My surgeon would have told me to go back for another psych evaluation.

Boy! Ignorance must be bliss.

No way would I stand by for three years unfilled, and throwing up everyday without seeking a doctors help. HELL NO! If I had to go to 10,000.00 doctors until something was finally done about my condition then that is what i would have done. That's almost like walking around with a HOLE IN YOUR HEAD.

Well I like to tell everyone I feel good. I can eat salad, tea, chicken, beef, pizza, ect. and I can go on and on and on. Boy I need my first fill. The scale started going down one week after I had surgery I had biggest smile on my face. My breathing is a lot better too for someone who was diagnosed with asthma.

It would had been nice if you said "The Lap Band was not for me," and then give you're reason why it didn't work for you. But to put out a message like you did was totally wrong.

I have yet to see a post saying to everyone- Lap Band- Do it!! Be Happy For life.

No what I've seen is people talking about their experience both pro and con. You know the difference between you and them is that if something went wrong they'll admit just like I've posted that they did something to cause whatever problem it is.

LAPBANDFREE STOP THE MADNESS!:crying:

Edited by Melolo

So....you hated cheetos, chocolate and ice cream?

Wonderful! That's great success!

For life?!? Most Docs I know want at least a couple of follow up visits...

I've met those people too. I live in the rual south.

You must have had an extermely skilled surgeon

Well, at least we agree on this point. I wish everybody would think before they jump in. Don't you wish you'd have thought it out a little better? Although if you could lose more weight in the last 4 months than the previous 3 banded years, I wonder why you needed surgery in the first place? Likely you weren't as fat as me.

Plain- I asked her that same question earlier in the thread if she could loose the weight on her own to begin with then why did she get the band in the first place. :crying:

OMG! Is this the "dentist" from the other post? I think a moderator needs to step in here. I have a feeling that whomever is doing these posts is just a troublemaker with nothing better to do.

Are you calling me dentist or the OP? I'm confused.

Are you calling me dentist or the OP? I'm confused.

No Carrie, there is a threat in th R&R section from a dude that claims to be a DDS that started his thread off titled "Lapband- deciet and bullsh**t". Highly entertaining.