Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grrrrr..... I'm hungry. I had my one week follow-up appt. today and the dietician told me it will only get worse until I get my fill (in 3 weeks). She also told me not to get discouraged if I gain a couple of pounds before my fill. Does anyone out there have any suggestions to satisfy hunger before getting the first fill? It's soooo frustrating... help.

I have found getting lots of Protein helps me, I get my first fill on the 12th and have found I dont get hungry but I so miss the tast of some foods lol. good luck

:smile:Hi there! Everytime I get hungry I eat a little yogurt or Jello it helps out a little. Seems like I'm eating all day. Talked to the dietician today she said it was okay. I really get full after drinking my 2 oz broth. in an hour or so I'm hungry again. Cream of Wheat milked down filled me up for about 2 hours. Keep sipping Water or Protein Drinks. sip, sip, sip. Hope that help out a little good luck yes it is hard but let it heal. I'm only 6 days out. I made my own Soup stock taste better. chicken soup, boiling chicken, onion, ginger and hawaiian salt altogether. (sea salt)

Edited by jeannierk

Hi everyone, I am exactly 2 weeks post op and am starting to get hungry. I also the SF Jello and puddings and it seems to help. 2oz of soup! I can eat a whole cup, I am getting nervous that I am just going to go back to eating all the time. A whole will usually do me good for like 2-3 hours but then I want more. Is this normal. and Does anyone know what the normal weight loss or average is for 2 weeks post? Some insite would be cool. thanks:drool:oh yeah, Lot s of water!!

I'm hungry! I was hungry after surgery (and not "head hunger" either! I had no nausea, no problems swallowing water...could've gulped it!)

I haven't had anything like food in so long I've forgotten what it is!

I have appt w/surgeon etc (post op 1 week follow up) tomorrow and I just pray they let us have something more to eat than Water, clear sugar free liquid broth and Jello. I'm hanging tough but my stomach is louder than the tv.

If i could have crackers I'd be a happy camper. But not yet.

Hello ALL,

OH my goodness, you don't have to tell me about being hungry! As a matter of fact last night I sat at the kitchen table and cried. When they say this is HELL :thumbup: before your first fill (mine is not until 9/11) they are not kidding.

As my husband tells me over and over hang in there YOU CAN DO IT! Today was a better day. Just keep telling yourself it will get better. I also found out if I keep myself busy doing something and not thinking about food it helps! Keep drinking Water and protien drinks.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!:party:

Grrrrr..... I'm hungry. I had my one week follow-up appt. today and the dietician told me it will only get worse until I get my fill (in 3 weeks). She also told me not to get discouraged if I gain a couple of pounds before my fill. Does anyone out there have any suggestions to satisfy hunger before getting the first fill? It's soooo frustrating... help.

It does get easier with time. I had my surgery on July 10..I have some of the same issues. Protein shakes really help when you get that hungry. And of course drink your Water...Stay strong it is getting easier for me...:party:

It gets much better once you can start on soft foods. I made my own broth and because I made it with real meat it had more Protein in it. Of course you can't eat the meat, but it was sooo tastey and seemed to ease the hunger pains. Here's what you do. Put 3 cans beef broth in a crockpot with 1 pkg. Italian dressing mix and a round steak or rump roast. Cook it all day on low. Shred the meat and serve it on Buns for the rest of the family and save the broth for you. I used a tea strainer to eliminate the meat. SF Jello and pudding helped alot too. Remember it may take a few fills to feel restriction. Everybody is different. I had six fills before I felt any restriction. Then I found out I had to have a hysterectomy and had to get unfilled. That set me back several months, talk about frustrating. But I'm back on track now. I eat about a cup and feel full. You just gotta get through the first month, so hang in there! I know it's hard, but remember why you did this and think of the skinny clothes you will be able to wear again.

I disagree with what the nurse said, it did not as she said "get worse until the first fill". Once I was able to get mushies, things got better then I was fine when I had solids. You are not completely there until you get the proper fill but it does get easier once you are off liquids.< /p>

call me crazy and i know this is a STUPID question! i understand you should follow the doctors orders............

but, if your band is not tight - then why can't you eat a little thicker food then liquids? will it cause damage? or are they just trying to starve you for 3 or 4 months just to drop the 1st 40 or 50 pounds? if i go on a liquid diet right now for 4 months (without the band) of course i would loose a bunch of weight.

every where i read on this site people are starving to death. its terrible!

i feel sooo bad for them!

i was homeless once for almost a year and starved - i lost like 40 pounds but the hunger pain is what i remember the most from that horrible time in my life! i promised myself i would never go hungry again if i got myself out of that situation. and oh boy, i made that promise. i have gained 100 lbs since then.

a couple of my family members had the bypass surgery and they never complained of being hungry. before or after.

how long does it take for the band to actually make you feel full or not hungry all the time. how many fills and how long does it take? how long do you have to starve to death?

Miss.Susan:

Because you have sutures holding the band in place. Until the sutures heal, you do not want your stomach churning or the sutures will get pulled out and your band will slip.

Nobody is starving to death and it doesn't last 3 or 4 months. For me, it was 2 weeks liquid pre-op (to shrink the liver) then post-op, two weeks liquid, two week puree (for healing) for a total of 1 1/2 months. In the end it is well worth the short-term sacrafice.

I was much less hungry once I started on puree(two weeks post op). I haven't really been hungry since solids...after surgery we are instructed to eat when we are hungry. As far as how many fills, that is different for everyone. Mine improved with each one and the third fill really put me where I wanted to be.

Edited by Jodi_620

Yes Jodi is right...we are healing and can't risk eating/digestion. What happens during this post op phase is different for everyone, however. For example, even after we are healed we are to eat only 3 meals a day. No Snacks. Not all docs are that strict. I have some problem distinguishing what I must not do because it will HURT me, and what I must not do because the nutritionist feels it is inappropriate. If I want to drink Brand X Protein Powder with o fat and 19 gms Protein, and no sugar or carbs, then I don't quite understand why I MUST drink her Brand Q protein powder with o fa and 19 gms proein and no carbs or sugar. I can't help it; I believe in that saying "Question Authority". I'm compliant for now but I feel a rebellion brewing.