Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Guy from Houston

Hello all, I was doing some searches on the internet and found this message board. Seems pretty cool so I figure I might join up. I guess I'll give yall a little bio on myself. My name is Andrew I currently live in League City Texas which is in between Galveston and Houston Texas. I started doing research on the banding procedure about a year and a half ago and finally decided to go to a meeting. I am a verrrrry skeptical person and worry alot. After looking over all the info and talking to a few members in my family about it whom are in the medical field, I was told that if you are going to have a procedure this is the one to get. I decided to start doing all my insurance info etc. . . which included but wasn't limited to : several doctors visits, physical, pysch evaluation. I honestly didn't think I'd be a good candidate. I was over weight but had no early signs of any issues. My blood pressure ran at 117 over 78, I had no issues with sleep apnea, no reflux, etc... They only hoped that with a weight problem I could be approved. They sent the paper work off to Aetna POS and I was approved with in a few hours. I was told that has never happened before. Not sure if thats good or bad but who cares. They scheduled me to come in for surgery with in the next 3 weeks and I started getting ready for surgery. My weight from last doctors visit was 344 and I weighed in at 319 on day of surgery which was March 26, 2008. I had surgery that afternoon and it took I suppose around 30 minutes. I was released to go home and I passed out on my couch for about 2 hours. I woke up and had some gassiness so I began walking around my neighborhood for about 2 hours. I decided then that I should start doing alot of walking and had gotten up to 11 miles (when I worked nights walking) Too damn hot here for day walking. I don't walk as much on either nights or days now, I have upgraded to some running. I can run 2 miles now with no issues. It is now August 31, 2008 and I went from 319 on day of surgery to 245 today. not bad for a few monthes. And a total of 99 lbs this year.

Well anyways I tend to ramble so I'll leave it at that.

Welcome Andrew6! Sounds like you and the band are a great match! Thanks for your story!

thank you very much

Hi andrew6,

you are a true inspiration to us all. I am being banded sept 4 at loyola in chicago. I can only pray for the success you've had. Thanks

Yay, welcome Andrew! I just started the process toward banding, and your story is motivating to me.

I am over 300lbs but have no comorbities really, blood pressure/cholesterol/blood sugar has always been normal and healthy. My joints are iffy but that's hereditary and due to sports as a kid. It's great to hear of your success! And your approval too... I have Aetna and am kinda worried about the approval process. Any suggestions??

Again, welcome - this is a great site with so much info and support!

Yay, welcome Andrew! I just started the process toward banding, and your story is motivating to me.

I am over 300lbs but have no comorbities really, blood pressure/cholesterol/blood sugar has always been normal and healthy. My joints are iffy but that's hereditary and due to sports as a kid. It's great to hear of your success! And your approval too... I have Aetna and am kinda worried about the approval process. Any suggestions??

Again, welcome - this is a great site with so much info and support!

I did one extra visit more than required don't know if that helped? also love your avatar. I'm a huge Texans fan.

Hi Andrew. Welcome. My name is Becky and I am scheduled to have my surgery done in Houston on September 12th. Where did you have yours done and who was your doctor? Thank you for sharing your story - it is inspirational!!

Hi Andrew. Welcome. My name is Becky and I am scheduled to have my surgery done in Houston on September 12th. Where did you have yours done and who was your doctor? Thank you for sharing your story - it is inspirational!!

I had mine done at true results over by reliant stadium. Dr. Hollis did my surgery. any questions shoot me an email.

Welcome to the group, Andrew.

I was with True Results in Houston as well (Dr. Felts).

They are not always quick on the draw as far as follow-up. I have found that I have to make sure I keep up with things cause they won't.

But as far as the surgery and the care once you're inside the door, they are great.

Welcome to the group, Andrew.

I was with True Results in Houston as well (Dr. Felts).

They are not always quick on the draw as far as follow-up. I have found that I have to make sure I keep up with things cause they won't.

But as far as the surgery and the care once you're inside the door, they are great.

I never had a problem then again my wife and the nutrisionist are good friends too so they were always on me about follow up. I have a very tight busy schedule and they always found a way to get me in. The only problem I ever had was I kinda over did it on my wedding anniversary back in June and they just told me that i need to go on liquids for a couple days.

Just wanted to say that I too am going to True Results in Houston. Dr Hollis will be doing my surgery. Thanks Andrew for all of your help. Texas here I come!!!!