Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HORRIFIC FILL experience right now.

Alexandrea)

Oh, Nykee, I'm so sorry you're going through this! Time will help and indeed, so will hot liquids sipped very cautiously.

Girl)

I couldnt sip once tiny sip of a hot liquid the entire time. It came up immediately. Everytime my own saliva seemed to subside, i tried a sip of diluted hot cocoa and it came up within seconds.

alexandrea)

Whatever you do, do NOT try to eat any solid food! You must give your esophagus and stoma time to rest and let the swelling go down. You will not starve, and it WILL get better when you give it some time.

girl)

Eating was the last thing on my mind.. I cannot explain how it felt to choke for 20 hours on saliva.

I been in the ER from 6am to 6pm... I had to have all my fill taken out by order of ORTIZ, he said it was an emergency and absolutlely necessary.

I fought it hard.. but I know HE knows the best.. dont want to lose my band later.

alexandea)

I don't understand having someone "test" a fill on solid food.

girl)

They were really trying to work with me.. I have NO money,.. to get a fill is the same amount of money as one month income for me.. and my kids. I prolly had no business trying to get this apband being poor white trash on welfare and SSI..

I am gonna try real hard to just diet until I find like 500$ so I can get a fill.... just keep trying ya know..I been fat for 20 yrs, I can not lose any weight for another year if I absolutely have to..

Thank you so much for your support...

I went through something like this immediately after banding, except that I wasn't trying to eat anything.

>>>>>>>>yeah, those two bites of banana bread was prolly the whole entire reason, then I tried to take my pills the next day and made it worse..

All becasue of those two little bites... THATS ALL my fault.. I see that..

How stupid can I be??!!! I guess I really could not believe it could be that simple.. I really thought people this happened too were trying to eat like something real bad, not a nibble..

THEN.. I wasnt even thinking that pills were "food" .. Stupid stupid stupid.

Your immediate problem is hydration while the stoma is swollen. Forget food. Do NOT try to eat anything solid...and I have no idea why you were not warned about that...but, forget any food for AT LEAST three days. The quesadilla irritated the stoma and the bread just made it worse. It needs a few days off.

>>>>>>>>>>Yeah, the tortilla lunch had no problems what so ever... he watched that it had passed through and the barium too and that measly .4cc more must of made ALL the diff in the world.

In fact, the stoma is so swollen that the brain thinks something is stuck, and is sending gallons of saliva down there to try to "wash through" whatever is stuck...which just gives you more stuff to pass through a really tiny hole.

>>>>>>>>Well tiny tiny little pills WERE stuck. I took two little pills half the size of a pea and almost 7 hours later they came out IN TACT..

This was the main reason ORTIZ KNEW I must be unfilled immediately.

Then, you have to get Water in and if you don't you'll end up getting fluids IV.

>>>>>>>>yeah, one sip of Water was impossible for over 35 hours.

What Rumbaut had me do was eat ice chips and the occasional teaspoon of Maalox. But focus on the ice. (I know that many people use WARM water, but rumbaut had me on ice chips. Whichever works better for you.)

>>>>>>>>That wasnt working.. I spent the last night in ER.. My stomach was completely closed,, they finally just did an unfill..

I cant beleive a doctor in my hospital with no kind of training in the band was able to remove my fill..

I was crying the whole time and they were like "your gonna feel so much better" and I was saying "I DONT CARE" I WANT MY FILL!!!!

Needless to say, lots of valium.

Also, spit. I know you're not getting any sleep. So plant yourself on several pillows the bed or the sofa with several layers of towels and a small trash can lined with trash bags and stop swallowing all that saliva and just spit it out.

You may finally fall asleep and drool a lot. Don't worry about it. Just pull out that towel and go to the next. The less slime you're trying to deal with, the better.

>>>>>>>Yeah, I had cups and towels and zip locks with me.. lol

I was doing all I could to wait this out. Thats really good advice and I know future fills can kinda be like this.. just not AS bad..

This will pass, but when it does you need to go back to Clear Liquids for a few days, the slowly add full liquids, the pureed, etc. If at any point you irritate the stoma and start with this routine again, go back to square one and go even slower.

>>>>>>>>I am clear fluids now for 5 days... I want my next fill to go as best as possible..

When I got the band done, I had to stay 2 extra days cuz of this kind of thing.. So I am assumeing I am sensitive to inflamation or something.

If you cannot get fluids in, you will need to go to an ER and get hydrated. I've met people who were very swollenlike this for a week or ten days post op. Now you know that you are someone who is very sensitive to fills.

>>>>>>>Yea, I just said that.. LOL

THANKS SO MUCH!!! you guys are awesome supportiing me like this!!

. I prolly had no business trying to get this apband being poor white trash on welfare and SSI....

Quit that talk. You deserve it as much as anyone. That's what that backpay was for. So go forward, make the best of it, work around it and do your best. You can do it! Don't kick yourself in the butt or I will! ((((hugs))))

Sorry.. I am feeling down is all..

This place makes me feel better..

Lamadame)

Nykee, Iam sorry to hear of all of this..

Dr. Ortiz had me go down and eat something as well one time before he sent me back across the border, it was my 2nd fiill, he told me the first fill may take some time to feel but the other fills there after should be felt right away. I ate and was fine and went on my merry way home.

girl)

YEah... the fill was amazing. he did the best job he could possibly do.

He had me under flourao and drinking so mych baruim and waiting for hours until it was perfect. I never exspected so much attention to perfection.

It was the DAM pills.. I cant believe I took those pills!

Lamadame)

Call Dr. Ortiz or Martinez, let them know what is goin on

girl)

I did, he ordered an emergency unfill.. and I been in ER and they did it..

I was in ER for 12 hours..

It was quite an experience

Thanks to everyone who responded here.. your support and info is invalueable to me!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Everything is OK now except I am not filled.... and if it takes me 6 months to get the monry to get back to Mexico for a fill then so be it.. I am still young.. lol

Nykee,

I am so sorry to hear about your pain. Did you call the doctor that filled you? Maybe you are overfilled. Hope you get better real soon girl.

Oh Nykee, I'm so glad you're o.k., I was so worried about you. You did the right thing. You would have gotten into serious trouble had you not. At least you still have your band.

Thank God you're alright. It will take a while for your stoma & esophagus to get back to normal....that gives you some time to save! Once you're in San Diego you can take the bus or trolley to the border, walk across & take a cheap taxi to the office. But don't even think about that now, think positive & concentrate on healing. That's all you have to do.

I'm also sensitive to fills, so as I said before, Dr. Martinez is more conservative with me. He had me filled to 2cc's, could have done more, and my daughter was there literally jumping up and down saying yes, yes, yes, after I said "after all my bad fill experiences, maybe you should take out .1cc". It just about killed me to say that! He did, now I'm at 1.9 cc's. Now that I have my period 2 weeks later when I thought I had no restriction, I'm really tight. Go figure!

Keep us posted, you're in all our prayers.

Best,

Hi NyKee,

I had something like that after surgery and I had to have shot of steriodes to get it to go down. I don't know if you can get your Dr. to give it to you or not. I was put in the hospital for hydra. and they gave it to me. You will be ther in a few days if you can't even keep your own saliva down that is what happened to me do something fast see Dr. Eubanks or Kelly for a unfill or other wise you might make your band slip with all the problems and Im sure you don't want that to happen. Good luck and let us know what happens. Tracey

Hi, I am not filled at all now, it was all taken out. I am back to no restriction at all. BUt as said, I am real lucky not to have lost my band!

I am doing fine. I feel no ill effects at this point... Thanks for asking. I am just sad is all. Frusterated too.. of course.

I have to go back to SanDiago/TJ (he said I could in a month after my tummy calms down) and all that but I cannot take a trolly or walk becasue I am unable to walk more than a few feet at a time. So I need the shuttle service at 130$ plus my plain 300$ and then I can go try again.

Thats alot of money to me now that all the money I saved for this procedure is used up... and so I hope within 6 months I can go.

At least I know I am sensitive to fills now and from now on I think I know I can do this right and get it done as soon as I can save some money.

Tracey... we were trying the IV full of steroids to get it down, that was my own idea and then when I called ORTIZ and he heard it took me almost 7 hours to PB uo two pills that came up intact.. he said no antiinflamitories would work and to get the fill out ASAP and was talking to the hospital and everything,,.. but that was me trying to save my fill at all cost.

Also... I heard my fill doctor here isnt doing fills for mexican patients anymore.. I spent ALOT of money on his office to be sure I had a fill doctor here... that sucks! (EUBANKS)

I need to find another and get the process rolling.. if I ever get in any trouble again like this, I rather be able to go get a small unfill (soon) rather than wait 40 hours of hell and then have to have my fill all taken out in an emergency.

Loves to all.. Thanks so much for your support.

Wow, sorry about this whole ordeal. Why were they thankful that your band was saved, was it in danger?

To save travel money, you could always rent a car in Mexico for about $50 plus $25.00 insurance. Good luck. Hope you're back to normal soon.

Dr. Ortiz sais this is how he saw people lose their bands in the end 'every time' becasue of this situation.

and thats when I stopped crying and complaining about having the unfill...

I didnt care i was choking on my own saliva for 40 hours, I ould of done it another 40 at least.. to save my fill.. BUT ORTIZ said It would lead to the loss of my band if I didnt do it.. he forced me to do it actuallly.. I am glad though.

I have to get into Mexico before I can rent a car so I dont really know what you mean. Plus I do not have a credit card.

I dont even have a running vehicle right now. I own a 91 mini van I paid 1800$ for and its my NICE car.

Plus my vehicles could never be trusted to drive that far, even if I could get the gas money.. If I broke down I dont know what I could do.

I am in Oregon, so its not all that far but still a few hundred in gas money. I could sleep in the car though, I dont need a motel.

money money money.. lol

Thats all I am thinking of right now, I want filled so badly!