Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First patients to have Realize...let's hear from you!

I was had the Realize band in Sept 08, have had 2 fills. The first fill was 1/2cc and the second was 2 months ago of 2cc. I am really struggling, not losing weight and can still eat the house and everything in it. I can't get in to see my doc for 6 more weeks. :thumbdown:

weight.png

Create Your Own Ticker

Poor you!!! I can feel your frustration!! Why SOOO long between fills??? My 1st fill was 5 wks post op (could have done 4wks but 5 fit my work schedule better). My 2nd fill is scheduled July 10 (10 wks later, originally scheduled for 12 wks but i called and got it pushed up). I was really concerned at the time frame the office had set up between fills especially after hearing how quickly many otheres are getting filled, but I seem to be losing so I guess I shouldn't complain.

1st fill was 3cc....she told me they do up to 4 cc, but I thought I was already having some restriction and didn't wanna go overboard so I requested a little more conservative route.

Did they leave it up to you to schedule your fills as you saw fit, or it there protocal spaced that far apart?? Also does your doctor deal with lots of band patients or do he specialize in another procedure? I'm just wondering if your getting the same kind of aftercare/support as many others are receiving.

I'm sorry to hear this has been such a sloooow process for you so far, I hope you are able to get things back on track and get your band working for you as it was intended.

If you ever need to bend someone's ear feel free to look me up!!

~Monica

My surgery for realize band was 5/24/09. I seen my surgeon @ 4 wk for checkup but my first fill was not scheduled til 8 wk. After reviewing my records and wt lost they decided I still didn't need a fill. I am losing wt every week and really do not feel hungry. I have lost 32 lbs since surgery, a total of 57.5lbs. I can eat more than 1/2 cup but I try to stay close to that. It's really a head game. I still have restriction and I still have problems at time with food going down.So now I am scheduled for a fill 7/16. I try to make good choices in food and I write everything down that I eat and drink. I am also diabetic on insulin so I keep track of my blood sugars too. I have been able to decrease my insulin from 5 injections to 2. Off my oral med for diabetes, off b/p med, and am taking a holiday off cholestrol and tricor med. I have labwork in July to see if I can stay off it too. This surgery has been a good experience for me. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thank you Lord! MiMI

Poor you!!! I can feel your frustration!! Why SOOO long between fills??? My 1st fill was 5 wks post op (could have done 4wks but 5 fit my work schedule better). My 2nd fill is scheduled July 10 (10 wks later, originally scheduled for 12 wks but i called and got it pushed up). I was really concerned at the time frame the office had set up between fills especially after hearing how quickly many otheres are getting filled, but I seem to be losing so I guess I shouldn't complain.

1st fill was 3cc....she told me they do up to 4 cc, but I thought I was already having some restriction and didn't wanna go overboard so I requested a little more conservative route.

Did they leave it up to you to schedule your fills as you saw fit, or it there protocal spaced that far apart?? Also does your doctor deal with lots of band patients or do he specialize in another procedure? I'm just wondering if your getting the same kind of aftercare/support as many others are receiving.

I'm sorry to hear this has been such a sloooow process for you so far, I hope you are able to get things back on track and get your band working for you as it was intended.

If you ever need to bend someone's ear feel free to look me up!!

~Monica

Hi Monica,

Thanks for the reply. My MD is so busy, the office does all the bariatric surgeries and it takes months to get an appoinment and they only allow one appoinment to be set at a time because they need room for all their patiends. The office said they are giving small fills and far apart because I had problems after surgery and was in the hospital a week because I couldn't even drink Water. Then on my first fill which was only 1/2cc I couldn't drink water, but I don't have any restriction once the swelling from the fill goes down. I just so hope this starts work. I am so frustrated I have even joined weight watchers again for that extra help. I write down everything to show my doc when I do have my next appointment. :rolleyes2:

Hi everyone,

I'm now at 49 lbs down, that was a nice surprise the last time I weighed myself. I'm going to change my picture soon. I'll try to post a "before" & "after" pic soon. I'm even amazed how much different I look.

As for my wife, she still has not change in her weight lose goal, still not losing. (she is not Banded). Once in a while I ask her if she would be interested in being Banded. She does not say much but I know she has thought about it. She turns 65 in Dec '09 so would be covered by Medicare. Her BMI is 38 with medical problems so she would be eligible. Time will tell.

Love to all,

Don

Bandfriend - I am so sorry for your frustration. I can see where the doctor is coming from if you have had difficulty following the surgery and fill. All of us have some swelling after a fill, but they should try to get you scheduled a little sooner in order to help you through this. It sounds like you are coping as well as you can at this point. Good idea to keep track of everything to show the doctor. They should understand how hard you are trying to make this work.

Good luck to you. Come back and keep us posted.

I changed my Avatar picture and added two pictures to the Picture & Album link. I don't know how to put a picture to this area or anywhere else.

Don

This is an interesting read to me-I'm scheduled for 8/31/09 banding-the oly band my surgeon uses is the Realize band. I haven't got my "code" so that I can log into the support web site.

This is an interesting read to me-I'm scheduled for 8/31/09 banding-the oly band my surgeon uses is the Realize band. I haven't got my "code" so that I can log into the support web site.

Welcome pvgrl. Check with your doctor's office for the pre-surgery code. It lets you into the website for the pre-surgery stuff (obviously!). When you receive your band they should give you the number of the band you received to use as your code. The hospital was supposed to give me mine on a card at my discharge. Someone forgot, but I called the doctor's office and they were able to get me in. There are pre-surgery tips, and rah-rah! stuff in the area you can reach and it's worth checking out. I don't know about you, but I was devouring every bit of information I could find pre-surgery! Glad I did, too. It answered a lot of questions for me and made the post-surgery period a lot easier.

I love my Realize band. I can eat just about anything - even foods some of my band buddies can't tolerate. I love salads and have not had any difficulty with them. Some bandsters have trouble with chicken, some with beef, many can't eat bread or rice. I have to be careful with bread, but I am not inclined to eat much of it anyway, as I follow a more high Protein, carb limited plan. I do eat rice on occasion with no problem. While I say I can eat anything, my band does provide a lot of restriction. It was the 3rd fill before I really felt good restriction, and my 4th very small fill has put me exactly where I need to be. So be patient. My doctor said she could go ahead and give me 6cc - but I would be throwing everything up! yuck. She started me with 3cc, next month 2cc, 3rd month 1cc. In June I had another .5cc, and I am very well restricted. While you are waiting for all that to kick in, just be sure to follow the food plan your doctor suggests, and keep your portions small. That is a great time to learn what "full" really means. As fat chicks, we don't always know what that feels like. Knowing that will help you immeasurably as you go on.

I wish you the best! Come back and keep us posted.

Don - Love the new picture! You are a handsome dawg, ya know! I am happy that you are doing so well. You waited such a long time and were so patient. You deserve the best!

I was banded 6/1/09 and had my first fill today, 3cc. I had watched my daughter getting a fill a couple of weeks ago so I could see what the procedure was like. Clearly my doctor hasn't done it as much as hers. They just switched to the Realize band, so I'm also one of their test rats, lol. Just curious to hear from other Realize banders if the needle the doctor uses for your fill is huge? Thank gawd he did a numbing shot beforehand and luckily I really do like him and pretty much trust him, but I knew going in that he hadn't done hardly any bands, lots of bypasses, but I also knew he was a little more aggressive than the chief of surgery (who also attended while my dr. placed band).

My daughter's doctor, the needle she used didn't look much different than any other needle. My needle was about six inches long. My daughter thinks I'm exaggerating. So I'm taking a pic next time just to prove to her...lol.

Was very glad to get the fill because the last two weeks since swelling had gone down, I wasn't having any restriction. So life is good and go back again in five weeks. But I was released to eat veggies now and can't wait to have my first salad. Could care less about red meat and potatoes. :biggrin:

Trisha

Well I finally made it into the 250's. This was the first goal that I have been hoping to reach. I now weigh in at 258.6. I started out at 298, made it through the 290's, then the 280's, 270's, 260's and have arrived in the 250's! It feels great! People really seem to notice now and make comments. I have noticed that my energy levels have soared. I have an appointment with my primary care doctor the end of this month and can't wait. I haven't seen him since my surgery. In the past he would always say "so what are we going to do about your weight" , and I would say "I'm gonna get a fatter doctor"! I can't wait to get down to my goal weight and then look him in the eye and say " so what are we going to do about YOUR WEIGHT"!

What is a Realize Band? Is it the same thing as lap band surgery? Dixieland

I'm a realizebander! :) I was banded 12/08. I have done really well. I have had two fills. I really am due for another one. I have lost a total of 81 pounds. (counting pre diet) I am sooooo glad that I was banded. I feel sooo much better. More energy and all. It has been a psychological roller coaster though. The people that you think will support you don't always. And people that you never dreamed would, do. Strangers comment on how good I look. But never, never my husband. Not sure what gives. Any one else have this problem?

What is a Realize Band? Is it the same thing as lap band surgery? Dixieland

Yes, it is the same thing as the Lapband. May look a little different but does the same thing. Mostly just a different Brand & company.

Don

Don - Love the new picture! You are a handsome dawg, ya know! I am happy that you are doing so well. You waited such a long time and were so patient. You deserve the best!

Thank you so much for the compliment. It was a long time coming; now I can't believe it's been almost 9 months sense my surgery.

I think I'm about ready for a small fill. My next appt is Aug. 26th, So I'll see how I do by than.

Just this past week I noticed how good I feel and am in very good spirits.

I'm going to my next support group meeting Tuesday night (July 14th) and take my wife (Nina) to a seminar on the 23rd. I think these meeting are so important to keep you going.

Everyone keep up the good work.

Don

Edited by skinnydippn42
added something