Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First patients to have Realize...let's hear from you!

It sounds like you have a problem--have you had a flouroscopy done to make sure of the placement of the band?--just changing which brand of gastric band you have wouldn't necessarily take care of the problems you are reporting. I would get an x-ray/swallow done to make sure my band hadn't slipped. Just a thought.

Some people react this way to a band. Talk to WASaBubbleButt in particular about her experiences.

While switching bands may help, plenty of people with the Lap-band have had this problem too. If it was me, I'd look into one of the other surgery types and just assume I'm one of those people who can't tolerate a band.

I had surgery(realize band) Sept 10th and have lost 52lbs to date.

I have 7 cc's in my band.

I would have never been able to do this without my band.

Although I occasionally get into the sweets(like WAY to much)- it's nothing to compared to what I used to do.

I

Although I occasionally get into the sweets(like WAY to much)- it's nothing to compared to what I used to do.

but isn't it just amazing how the sweets still go down so easy when regular food doesn't!!!

but isn't it just amazing how the sweets still go down so easy when regular food doesn't!!!

Yes it is!!! It's actually scary being a binge eater.

The band is great but it still takes willpower on oneself.

Yes it is!!! It's actually scary being a binge eater.

The band is great but it still takes willpower on oneself.

that's why i get so frustrated when people refer to getting a band as "cheating". I think it takes MORE willpower to make sure you are eating the right things--when the soft stuff goes down so much easier

that's why i get so frustrated when people refer to getting a band as "cheating". I think it takes MORE willpower to make sure you are eating the right things--when the soft stuff goes down so much easier

Mary - you are soooo right. Just doesn't seem fair, does it??

I agree with you as well. It just burns me up when people speak so meanly about anyone who chooses a surgical option to their weight issues. NO ONE wants to be an out of control eater in my opinion. Seriously. Eating disorders aside, and I think overeating is as much a disorder as anorexia or bulemia, no one deserves to be judged for the decisions they have made.

I think one thing that is going to help those who come after us (and perhaps ourselves) is to confront people who make offhand remarks or try to simplify our decisions and educate them on the seriousness with which all (or nearly all) gastric surgery patients treat their situations. I think educating people on the fact that you don't just call up a surgery center on a Tuesday and get banded that Friday needs to be stated LOUDLY and CLEARLY, both in the commercials for bands and from those of us who've been through the process.

I take my hat off to everyone who has done this, whether you've been successful or not. I tell people who ask me that this is not for the faint hearted and that it takes a huge committment to make the decision to take a surgical weight loss option.

Kudos to us all!

I have not lost anything for about 3 weeks now. I have increased my treadmill time over 2 mph for 30 + minutes to every day & go Bowling mosts Fridays. I "think" I'm losing inches but no weight. I see my Doc on March 12th., maybe I need another FILL, not sure yet.

They say this banding weight loose is slow but this seems to be TOO slow.

Very few people know I have been banded, but the people that do know are very supportive. Only one person have said, Why can't you just diet, use this diet or or that diet, etc., but when I told my "story", the one we all have, she understude.

Hope to see the scales going down again soon.

Don

Hi everyone!

I was banded with my Realize Band on January 14, 2009.

So far I'm down 23 lbs, and I've had one fill.

Currently I have 3 cc's in and I have some restriction, but not as much as I want. I can still eat more than 1 cup of food per meal. I go in for my next fill on March 23rd.

I love, love, LOVE the website associated with this band. I log my daily weight and exercise, as well as keep my food journal on there. I will admit it was a huge 'bonus' for me to have the online access, as that is why I chose Realize vs Lap Band.

I am curious, did it take everyone awhile to feel restriction with your fills? Or did you start feeling good restriction after your first fill?

Hi everyone!

I was banded with my Realize Band on January 14, 2009.

So far I'm down 23 lbs, and I've had one fill.

Currently I have 3 cc's in and I have some restriction, but not as much as I want. I can still eat more than 1 cup of food per meal. I go in for my next fill on March 23rd.

I love, love, LOVE the website associated with this band. I log my daily weight and exercise, as well as keep my food journal on there. I will admit it was a huge 'bonus' for me to have the online access, as that is why I chose Realize vs Lap Band.

I am curious, did it take everyone awhile to feel restriction with your fills? Or did you start feeling good restriction after your first fill?

Oh Gosh, Maggie -- I had my 3rd fill yesterday. First was 3cc, 2nd was 2cc, yesterday was 1cc. After each I have felt a week or so of restriction (doc says after a few days the swelling goes down and you feel less). After the second fill it was better. Today I am quite tight - everything is going down, but very much slower. This is okay and where I think I should be. I think after the swelling goes down this time I will have pretty good restriction. My doctor told me yesterday that it does take several fills - she can't start me off with 5 or 6 cc, because I would be throwing everything back up. So she does it gradually, each fill a little bit smaller, until they get to the point where I have good restriction, and can comfortably keep my food intake to 1/2 to 1 cup per meal. I am scheduled for another fill on Mar 20. I may not need it, but I'll check in with her anyway. So plan on a few fills before the optimum restriction sets in. Meanwhile, eat healthy, lots of Protein, and Portion Control. You will have enough restriction to help you with that, and you will lose pounds.

Oh Gosh, Maggie -- I had my 3rd fill yesterday. First was 3cc, 2nd was 2cc, yesterday was 1cc. After each I have felt a week or so of restriction (doc says after a few days the swelling goes down and you feel less). After the second fill it was better. Today I am quite tight - everything is going down, but very much slower. This is okay and where I think I should be. I think after the swelling goes down this time I will have pretty good restriction. My doctor told me yesterday that it does take several fills - she can't start me off with 5 or 6 cc, because I would be throwing everything back up. So she does it gradually, each fill a little bit smaller, until they get to the point where I have good restriction, and can comfortably keep my food intake to 1/2 to 1 cup per meal. I am scheduled for another fill on Mar 20. I may not need it, but I'll check in with her anyway. So plan on a few fills before the optimum restriction sets in. Meanwhile, eat healthy, lots of Protein, and Portion Control. You will have enough restriction to help you with that, and you will lose pounds.

Thank you so much Joann! I appreciate your honesty:smile:

I had a feeling it would take another fill or two (maybe more) until I have good restriction.

I'll just keep on trucking making good food choices and sticking to my exercise.

Maggifer - I just noticed you are from Kansas. Where did you have your surgery? My surgeon is Bernita Berntsen at Tallgrass/St. Francis in Topeka.

Maggifer - I just noticed you are from Kansas. Where did you have your surgery? My surgeon is Bernita Berntsen at Tallgrass/St. Francis in Topeka.

We have the exact same surgeon and facility!

I love Dr. Berntsen, she is amazing :)

Next time you are in town for a fill or something maybe we could meet up for lunch or dinner?

We have the exact same surgeon and facility!

I love Dr. Berntsen, she is amazing :blush:

Next time you are in town for a fill or something maybe we could meet up for lunch or dinner?

Oh my goodness - I love that woman, too! She is all business and approachable, too - a great combination...

I would love to meet you. I am scheduled for a fill on Mar 20 at 10am. After my fill I always go to the Red Robin across the street for a cup of Soup - to make sure everything is going down okay before I drive 80 miles home. (I'd hate to have to make a return trip right away.) Wanna make a lunch date for Mar 20? PM me and we can plan the particulars.