Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stocking up on supplies - what are you buying?

Hello September Samurais!

I was wondering what supplies all of you are stocking up on now to prepare for surgery and the post-op diet?

Today at Walmart I found chewable Centrum adult Multivitamins for around $5. They aren't bad, taste like baby aspirin, kind of orangey.

I also found Speical K Vitamin Water powder, yes, just the little foil pouch that you put in your own water bottle. It was 5 grams of Protein, so I thought that would be a great way to get a little protein during the "clears" phase, without having to pay $1.50 a bottle. It comes in 3 flavors.

I plan on digging out my heating pad, in case I have shoulder pain, and I heard I should get gas-x strips, too, but Dr. K. in Denver said gas should not be a problem.

What are you all doing?:blush:

I bought some of the Special K Protein Water. It was sale so I thought I would give it a try. I didn't know it came powdered. I will have to get a few to throw in my purse.

I have been looking over all the Protein Powder options. I had no idea this stuff was so expensive. I guess it isn't that much when you figure in I won't be eating food for a couple of weeks after surgery. Dr. K told me 3 weeks for liquids. Is that what he told you?

I am also going to buy one of those individual blenders Walmart.com: Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender With Travel Lid: Appliances). That way I can mix up all my shakes and drinks without pulling out the big blender.

I haven't bought anything, but I like your ideas. I did however rearrange my kitchen so I have my blender right on the counter. I got it for christmas last year. I've used it twice. LOL

I only have to be on liquids for one week, purees for 2 weeks, and then full foods.

teri

I have to agree. I love the special K Protein Water. It only has 5 grams but hey...e ach one adds up.

Teri

I went to Target yesterday, and bought their all natural Water that just has a touch of fruit flavor without any added sweeteners. I like the flavored sugar free waters and other sugar free drinks (i.e. Crystal Lite), but these will be a nice change. They're made by Archer Farms.

I bought a set of collapsible measuring cups that fold flat at Williams Sonoma. When I get to the point of measuring my meals when I'm eating out, it'll be easy to tuck away in my purse.

I also splurged on a new set of scales at Target. The scales are made by Conair for Weight Watchers. I also bought my Magic Bullet blender a while ago on sale, but haven't gotten it out of the box yet.

Today is my first day on my pre-surgery diet, and I haven't drank my morning shake yet. I'm holding off, because it's scary to think once that's gone, Breakfast is over..lol I did try one of the Boost shakes yesterday, and I thought it was yummy, so I'm lucky that way. I know a lot of people have trouble getting them down.

Kiz...I have those scales and they are great. The memory feature is wonderful...JIC you forget to write down your last weight, and it shows you a running total of weight lost!!

I was pondering a magic bullet (I have a linens & things gift card burning a hole in my wallet!), but I see the hamilton beach one is a 1/3 the cost!

The mb comes with several "cups" and 2 blades though, so maybe it's still the best deal?

I just got the scales yesterday, so I don't know all the ins and outs yet. I didn't even realize it has a memory function. Thanks for the heads up, Sherri!!

I got my Magic Bullet on sale and with a coupon, or I probably would have opted for another brand too. I'm not so sure it's worth the full price.

I just thought of a couple more things I stocked up on. One is sugar-free Tums for my Calcium and the other is Dieter's Tea. It has a natural herb additive that helps with Constipation, if that becomes an issue. You can over-do it, but if you only drink the recommended dosage, it's safe for most people and works wonders.

Here's a list a received from a different board and wanted to share with you all.

Here are some lists I had saved in a word document I'm not sure who posted them originally. I also want to add baby spoons and shrimp forks for eating smaller portions.

LAP BAND SURGERY SHOPPING LIST

NON-FOOD ITEMS:

BBQ or Toilet tongs, for a good reach in the r.r. 4.98

Heating pad(12inx24in) 16.88

Flexible ice pack (hot/cold 12inx16in) 14.44

A few books or movies(your choice, I spent about 70.00us) xx.xx

Squishy pillow for car ride for seatbelt (shoulder pad) 16.88

Make sure you have a good blender 19.97

Kitchen timer (first few days, sip every 15 mins)(analog) 2.88

Kitchen timer (digital – better for travelling) 3.47

Pedo-meter(depending on the one you get – don’t forget to adjust to your stride) 4.88

PHARMACEUTICALS:

liquid Tylenol/Motrin (Check early in case pharmacy needs to order in advance) 4.98

Chewable or liquid gas-x(I got strips, you will pay more than shown here) 3.60

Gauze Pads 4x4 6.57

Paper/bandage tape 2.57

Wet Wipes 2.64

Pill crusher 3.89

Chewable Vitamins 8.97

Hospital Medicine cups (I got 3oz/88ml cups – 100ct) 1.48

Cough Drops(Halls big box) 6.88

Stool Softener (Dr. asked me not to get this, if needed talk to him) xx.xx

Moist and nice tasting Lip Balm(got chapstick – cherry – 2for deal) 0.88

food ITEMS:

Protein shakes(these vary from 22 – 55 dollars depending on quality and quantity) xx.xx

Plenty of water(bottled Water for me 3cases 16oz. bottles 10.00) 10.00

broth or stuff to make broth(several flavors but all about the same cost) 2.98

sugar free popsicles 2.66

Sugar free Jello 0.50

Sugar free breath mints (chewable) 1.33

Crystal Light "On the GO" assorted flavors(I don’t like CL so I got store brand/price per box) 2.50

Bouillon(several flavors but all about the same cost) 2.07

Cream of Wheat 2.92

Creamy Soups 0.66

Applesauce 1.82

FAT FREE yogurt 1.76

Soup-at-Hand - Soups - for creamy stage(on sale) 1.25

pudding cups (SF/FF) - helps w/ taking meds(got instant, more flavors, price per box) 0.50

Sugar free hot cocoa 1.87

Decaf tea(got regular, Decaf is a little more in cost) 2.12

CLOTHES POST-OP:

Loose fitting, easily removable(one size larger than I wear, sweats, top and bottom) 15.88

Buttons downs or pullover(sale rack found $5.00 per, one size larger) 5.00

Thong shoes/slip-on so no bending and tying(make sure they are a good pair) 12.88

Sports Bra! Sutures will be hurt by under wires(not sure where they shop?) 6.88

All these prices are from Wal-mart and I used my receipt for 4Oct07 to get most of the prices.

I did try to give explanations where I could and those are in braces, i.e. - ().

Good luck and remember, your positive attitude and positive resolve got you this far. You can get through this, be positive.

A well stocked bariatric kitchen has the proper tools at hand:

• Measuring spoons and cups
  • Food scale :
  • Individual food storage containers of various small sizes Ice cube trays for freezing small portions :
  • Snack size zipper lock bags
  • Plastic eating utensils for travel/work

A well stocked pantry has:

• <Canned tuna (or pouches) in Water,
  • canned lump crabmeat class:
  • Seasoning blends (i.e. Mrs. Dash)
  • #Apple cider and/or balsamic vinegar style="BACKGROUND: #Artificial sweetener (i.e. Splenda, Equal, Stevia, Sweet n’ Low)
  • Light or low-fat mayo,
  • mustard style calorie,
  • low-fat salad dressings for seasoning and marinating <LI
  • Individual sizes of packaged fruit packed in juice
  • Canned vegetables
  • Canned diced tomatoes,
  • jarred Tomato sauce,
  • salsa
  • Canned beans/legumes (garbanzo, kidney, black, red, fat-free refried)
  • Low sodium broths and Soup bases (chicken, beef, vegetable, seafood)
  • Whole grain, high Fiber, high Protein Pasta
  • High Fiber, protein rich hot Cereal packets (i.e. oatmeal, multigrain, farina, oat bran, etc.)
  • High fiber, high protein cold Cereal
  • >Whole grain crackers (such as WASA, Ry-Vita, Kashi, low-fat Triscuits)
  • Crystal Light, Diet Snapple and other low calorie beverages or powder mixes
  • Carnation Instant Breakfast, no sugar added
  • Pre-made diet Gelatin cups, diet pudding cups

A well stocked bariatric freezer has:

• frozen shrimp in a bag
  • Skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins style
  • Lean chopped meat frozen in small snack size zipper top bags
  • sugar-free ice pops, sugar-free fudge pops
  • Bags of frozen fruit pieces (no sugar added) for smoothies and snacking, either bought already frozen, or freeze your own sliced banana, berries or grapes to add to yogurt or cereal

A well stocked bariatric refrigerator has:

• <Pre-washed and cut fruits and vegetables (try the supermarket salad bar for variety)
  • Yogurt and yogurt smoothies (small containers, low-fat, artificially sweetened)
  • Part-skim ricotta cheese
  • Low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese (small containers)
  • Low-fat cheese wedges/mozzarella “string cheese” sticks (i.e. Laughing Cow brand, Polly-O brand)

Be creative…Need some creative, healthy easy combinations for meals or Snacks? The challenge is to keep food choices creative and flavorful; inspiring your taste buds is crucial in order to keep you interested in healthier food choices.

• <Romaine lettuce leaf wrapped around 2 slices deli turkey with mustard or low-fat Salad Dressing style
  • 4 oz. fat-free yogurt with 2 oz. fresh berries and 1 Tbsp. fiber rich cereal
  • Part skim mozzarella stick wrapped in sun-dried tomato slice or roasted red pepper (not packed in oil)
  • 2 oz. seared tuna steak with low-fat dill sauce (fat-free yogurt, capers, dill and lemon juice) :
  • Laughing Cow low-fat cheese wedge spread on multigrain WASA cracker <
  • 2 oz. fat-free milk, 2 oz. fat-free yogurt, 2 oz. fruit of choice a few ice cubes, sprinkle sweetener to desired taste and pulse in blender.
  • Freeze half of small banana or 10 frozen grapes
  • Hot cereal (one packet) mixed with water or skim milk, artificial sweetener and fresh fruit. Or try hot cereal add vanilla extract, artificial sweetener and cinnamon.
  • 3 oz. grilled chicken over salad greens and low-calorie dressing of choice, lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.

Sheila

Edited by sherich2008
had to remove some garbage

wow great post... but why bring a fork? we'll be on liquids

teri

I "ASSUME" my Diatician will tell me all about what I can eat, when and such. I have heard two weeks liquid, two "mushy" and then slow. Am I wrong? I have started drinking Glucerna and it tastes good, but I have heard the protien drinks are not too wonder.

I just can't believe we are getting closer

when i went to my dietary group meeting...they mentioned Vitalady website that had flavored Protein powders that you could buy in samples for $0.99 ea. that you can mix with Water or milk, and they also mentioned the Liquid Protein bullet... i ordered the bullets in 3 flavors, (orange, grape, an blue rasberry)...because they have 45 grams of Protein in each one...going to get the flavored powders, ordered chewable, liquid, and sublingual Vitamins, plus have Flinstones...got Calcium and vit D3, vit b complex, and one more i can't remember...also have a whey protein jug, and a powder called greens first to help get my fruit and veges in while i am on liquids...but have gotten nothing else cause they moved my date up...so i have to get busy. i have to be on 10 day liquid preop diet...then stay on liquids 1st 3 weeks, so over a month of liquids for me, that's why i have really focused on stocking up on that stuff 1st...there are so many awesome ideas that i never even thought of, thanks for the ideas.....:angry:

surgery date september 11

starting weight: 262

current weight: 250

personal goal: 170