Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the symptoms of band erosion?

I'd really like to know this too. I'm beginning to believe that's what's going on with me. I can't get in to see my doctor until September though so I'll have to wait and see. Meanwhile my symptoms have been having a dull aching pain in my stomach (under my left ribcage area) off and on and now I have no restriction. I can eat as much as I want, as fast as I want and anything I want. I've never had a lot of problems with PBing or getting stuck anyway, but I have had good restriction in the past and now I have none.

I joined this forum because I was looking for an answer to that very question. I am having pain and discomfort in my port, and stomach. I have no appetite, and dont want to eat because of the pain. My doc has me in for an endoscopy on Friday. I am scared to death that it will be erosion. I would love more info about what the symptoms are.

I had the lapband placed about 1 year ago. No problems for a bit over a year. A couple of weeks after 1st anniversary, my doc said he had to remove the port which was giving me problems. A few weeks after the port removal, dr said that one sympthom of band erosion is infection of the port (?). Not sure about this, though. I did develop an infection during the removal of the port, but my port was not infected before being removed. Does anyone has any experience about port infection deriving from band erosion:confused::seeya::confused::blushing:

Heartburn is a common symptom.

My doctor fixed a hiatal hernia during my band surgery in Jan 08. It was amazing, zero hearburn for over a year. Then in Oct of last year, after a fill, I started getting heartburn. No reflux, just a dry burn.

Well, after umpteen adjustments, my restriction is perfect, but the heartburn continues. My bariatric doc said the band looks perfect with fluro, but my GP said he wants to see the inside.

This will require taking Fluid out of my band, putting camera down my throat, then putting Fluid back in. I'm certain this will totally mess with my restriction and cause me many more adjustments....I'm dreading this.

More importantly, what could it be if my band isn't too tight and hasn't slipped? (we have this confirmed via fluro) GP thinks maybe an ulcer...... Would that affect my band? I would die if I lost my band.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

I had my Band put in on May 19, 2008 I love this band of mine and a week ago I was told it needs to come out so next week December 9th I'm heading into the hospital to have it removed - I have band erosion I am not in pain they only realized my band had eroded due to my endoscope procedure I had stopped losing weight and i had 8 CC's in my band - I am so sad and worried about this process I have read that when the band is removed they do a cut on the abdomon another scare I am scared I'll gain all the weight back its been such a long road- 70 pounds gone with 30 to go I should be happy I made it this far but I am scared- anyone else ever have their band removed? what was the recovery time? Doc told me I'll be in the hospital for 3 days! to have the band put in I was there for one day! and back to work in three.

bodybutter64, I'm so sorry to hear about your band. Have they talked to you about putting another back in or about other possible solutions, like the sleeve?

Thank you, I am only 30 pounds away from Goal so the insurance won't cover a new band or any other Weight loss surgery- my Doctor also has a rule that he won't replace a band on someone that has erosion- with each passing day I am adjusting to the fact that its going to be gone as of Next Tuesday 12/8- I told my family tonight that was hard I know they are worried I will gain the weight back just like I am. But it has to come out and I'll just have to be very careful.

I will be glad when the surgery is over, I am abit worried about having to be in the hospital for 3 days with a drain that just sound nasty and painful- but I hear its necessary, so I'll do what I have to do. :sad:

I hope your surgery went well.

I've read on here where folks have said insurance will pay, even if you are AT goal, if you have complications with your band. It might be worth looking into. Search this site and see if you can find any info on it.

i have uncomfotable under my left rib cae but i notice its because i over eat and i think i get swollen in that area never the less i pray its not band erosion. my port site does not hurt no problems at all

I believe something is going on with my port. I have had the dull aching pain on the lower left side too.....under the rib cage. I have had such difficulty w/constipation that I went to my gastro dr. & he thought it might be diverticulosis, however, the CT scan was normal. Now I am headed to the bariatric surgeon & will likely have the endoscope or fluoroscope. It isn't a sharp pain, but gnawing pain & hurts especially when I move or take a deep breath. I still have some restriction though. My surgery will be one year next week and I still need to lose 30-35 pounds. We'll see. Thanks to all who posted here. It did help me to realize that my band is most likely the culprit.