Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone been banded at Birmingham Heartlands Hospital???

Hi again

i have spoken to my doctor again 2day and she is reffering me to Birmingham Heartlands Hospital just wandered if anyone has been banded there and was it ok??

Also while we were talking she asked me i smoked and i do, so she said well they will not do the surgery if you smoke so you will have to give up, is this true??:thumbup:

i dont mind too much as i was thinking about giving up anyway as it's is just way too expensive now, i just hope i can do it as getting refused for banding due to smoking would be devastating.

mind you it will be a great motivation for me to give up

Any response is really appreiciated (cant spell that word, lol):biggrin2:

Thanx

Natalie :cool2:

Im having surgery on 26th Sept at the Heartlands Under Dr Paul Super !

Not really sure about smoking , I guess they will check that out on my pre op , I only smoke socially , so I will also quit If they tell me I need to .

I need to stop anyway ! so maybe this is the kick up the ass I need :)

Tc

Sas x

Hi Sas

that's great news, not long to go now for you then, i am so pleased to hear that someone is going to the same place i could be (fingers crossed) we will have to stay in touch so you can let me know what Dr Super is like and how everything goes,

i'm still in the early stages doc has told me i should hear from Heartlands within the next month.

and yeah your right about the smoking it's a good thing for me too cuz it will make me determined to do it.

Spk soon

Natalie

Yeh ! sure keep in touch and I will keep u updated !

The heartlands seemed great and I heard very glowing reports about Dr Super and the care at the Heartlands , Hence I chose that Hospital .

I had the choice of another , but I spoke to a patient of Dr Supers whos is local to me and he had nothing but praise !

I have only been there once for my first appointment back in May , I have my pre op in 4 weeks so I will let u know how it was .

Tc

Sas x:rolleyes2:

that's gr8, thanks

just hope it aint to long before i hear from them, it's horrible being in limbo, just want to know if im gonna get approved

what is it like when u go for your assesment, ive heard it's just a chat with the nurses and basically telling them what u told the doc about why u want the band

i cant really see why i wont get approved my bmi is around the 50 mark i think (probably just over) but still it will be better when i know for deffo

Thanx again

Natalie

so I will also quit If they tell me I need to .

They don't need to tell you. You know you should quit - now. You need to be in the best shape you can be for the operation and the rest of your hopefully long life.

You may quess that I'm really anti-smoking. I lost my Dad to lung cancer and it upsets me to see young people ignore the undisputed warnings about smoking.

that's gr8, thanks

just hope it aint to long before i hear from them, it's horrible being in limbo, just want to know if im gonna get approved

what is it like when u go for your assesment, ive heard it's just a chat with the nurses and basically telling them what u told the doc about why u want the band

i cant really see why i wont get approved my bmi is around the 50 mark i think (probably just over) but still it will be better when i know for deffo

Thanx again

Natalie

Hi Nat :biggrin2:

When I went to The Heartlands I got weighed , blood pressure taken by the nurse .

I then seen the surgeons right hand man , we spoke about my obese life and how I had tried all diets and prescibed diet pills to no sucess .

He asked me what I knew about the lap band surgery and we spoke about the whole new approach to life and diet .

He offered me the surgery more or less straight away , due to my bmi being 51 .

I then went to a seminar with the dietician , again spoke about healthy foods and how to look after your band , we seen an animated band operation and that was that !

Wishing u the best of luck

Sas x :lol:

They don't need to tell you. You know you should quit - now. You need to be in the best shape you can be for the operation and the rest of your hopefully long life.

You may quess that I'm really anti-smoking. I lost my Dad to lung cancer and it upsets me to see young people ignore the undisputed warnings about smoking.

I dont ignore warnings at all , I did say I DO need to STOP !

Im only a social smoker , hardly a 20 a day habit .

I know its still wrong , but hey dont we all have bad addictions ...

FOOD being the main one on here ...

I have had a terrible 6 years with some real heart ache in my life and been through hell and back .

BUT i could do a damn lot worse than having an ODD ciggy ,

I have NEVER touched a DRUG in my life , I also only have an odd glass of wine on social occasions .

Ive never done anything BAD to hurt anyone in my life , Im a caring person and a law abiding citizen .

And having my car trashed last night by vandals ,upsets me ! :lol:

WHAT IM SAYING IS I HAVE HAD A CRAP TIME AND AN ODD CIGGY TO SAVE MY SANITY ISNT A CRIME , ESPECIALLY WHEN I SMOKE IT OUTSIDE HARMING NO-ONE BUT MYSELF !

And as for being fit for my surgery I have already lost a stone and I walk between 3-6 miles daily and I also attend the gym 3 times a week.

Rant over

Thank you ! :lol:

Sas

I dont ignore warnings at all , I did say I DO need to STOP !

Im only a social smoker , hardly a 20 a day habit .

I know its still wrong , but hey dont we all have bad addictions ...

FOOD being the main one on here ...

I have had a terrible 6 years with some real heart ache in my life and been through hell and back .

BUT i could do a damn lot worse than having an ODD ciggy ,

I have NEVER touched a DRUG in my life , I also only have an odd glass of wine on social occasions .

Ive never done anything BAD to hurt anyone in my life , Im a caring person and a law abiding citizen .

And having my car trashed last night by vandals ,upsets me ! :crying:

WHAT IM SAYING IS I HAVE HAD A CRAP TIME AND AN ODD CIGGY TO SAVE MY SANITY ISNT A CRIME , ESPECIALLY WHEN I SMOKE IT OUTSIDE HARMING NO-ONE BUT MYSELF !

And as for being fit for my surgery I have already lost a stone and I walk between 3-6 miles daily and I also attend the gym 3 times a week.

Rant over

Thank you ! :)

Sas

I really don't think I deserved that. If my post upset you, I' m sorry. But it did not warrant your response.

I really don't think I deserved that. If my post upset you, I' m sorry. But it did not warrant your response.

No you didn't Steve looks to me like you took the rough end of someones angry and frustrations at someone else :s

I thought this site was to encourage, support and help people not to have a go at well intentioned advice.

Edited by Vixon

People should think before posting comments then shudnt they !

No-one knows wat goes on with peoples lifes , and I always support and encourage people on here and on another wls site .

Not pick at peoples threads !

People should think before posting comments then shudnt they !

No-one knows wat goes on with peoples lifes , and I always support and encourage people on here and on another wls site .

Not pick at peoples threads !

You clearly have more problems than your weight. Stop bitching because you are making yourself look very stupid. I told you to stop smoking. If you think that is bad advice, then you are an idiot. Social smoking = denial.

Don't bother replying to this post as I won't be reading this thread, or maybe this forum, again. I've got better things to do with my time than deal with stupid women like you.

Sassy hon, Steve's advice to you was good, supportive advice. He didn't deserve you to attack him because you're in a bad mood, whatever your reasons for that bad mood. You can't just dismiss good advice because you don't like it.

You're going to be cut during this operation. Did you know that smoking impedes skin healing? That's on top of all the other bad things smoking does to your body, including added complications under general anaesthetic. The hospital know what they are talking about.

I know what I'm talking about too. I had a heart attack at 38 years old, mainly caused by smoking. I haven't had a cigarette since that day, it scared the life out of me. I know I was smoking more than you are, but it's all still very, very bad for you. I've now become the kind of ex-smoker I never wanted to be. I wish the Government would ban it although I know that's never going to happen. Like Steve I want to run up to children in the street & snatch cigs out of their hands & lecture them, but I know I can't do that.

I think you owe Steve an apology Sassy & I really hope he hasn't left this forum for good.

:unsure:Hi all as i am new to this forum i too would like to hopefully get support i have my pre op on the 8 sept 08 and if all goes well then i have my op on the 23rd of sept 08 cant wait counting the weeks but still wont believe it till i wake up and it over . Mr Super is my doctor and my partner work with someone that has already had a lapband and Mr Super did her,s so that is why i chose to go to birmingham .He was very nice when i met him but very nervous about the pre op keep thinking some thing will not be right But thats MY worst problem never believe thinks will happen till they do sandra