Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My insurance does not require a psyc evaluation,but the Doctor does. So I have to go and get my own. I was wondering how long they take hours, days exct... does any one ever get turned down? Any one have a Dr. they saw in the Austin,tx area they can recommend? Thanks for any input.

I think it can vary. My psych visit lasted one hour and cost $250. Even though my insurance doesn't cover weight loss surgery, it did cover the psych visit. The psychiatrist was an older woman who has been banded for 7 years so she knows what the experience is like, what the ups and downs are. We really hit it off and had a great chat so maybe I was fortunate in that regard.

In Washington state it's a legal requirement that you have a psych eval prior to weight loss surgery, so it's not even up to the insurance company or the doctor.

I think certainly people can get turned down, but the vast majority of us do fine. Even those who get turned down, usually aren't just turned down flat forever.... sometimes the psychiatrist (or psychologist) wants to see you a few more times, for example, to help ensure that you're ready for the commitment. They want to know that you know what you're getting into, that you have a realistic expectation of what the lap band can, and can't do for you, and that you don't have an eating disorder like bulimia, among other things.

Don't be worried about it.... just be yourself and be honest, and you'll do fine.

I too went to a women and I had to pay $250.00 but some of it was covered by my insurance. It was the typical psych 45 minute session and basically I think she wanted to make sure I wasn't a cosmetic surgery addict or that I was of sound mind and I could handle the changes the surgery would bring to my life. It was actually a nice session, she offered up some nice suggestions for those days ahead when things would be tough.

My cousin did "fail" her 1st session because the doctor didn't think she was prepared to make the necessary changes in her life but she challenged the decision and was able to have the surgery.

how lucky - you spoke to someone who truely understood where you were coming from. I can only wish I could be so lucky.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches