Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Migraines

I seldom get Migraines but when I do, they pack a real mean punch. I get violently ill to the point were I can’t hold anything down. This is the first time I’ve had one since being banded and it really scares me to be so sick and to worry about if I might do any damage to the band. Does anyone else get migraines and if so what do you use for headaches and nausea? This is day three with a Migraine but I have to say it’s not as bad as it was on Saturday.

Hi there, I had the same worry (long term Migraine sufferer) and discussed it with my doctor last week. He said throwing up shouldn't be a real issue as there won't be much in the stomach to throw up at any time and anything below the band is fine enough to pass back up through it if need be. I believe violent throwing up for long periods can cause swelling and at worst, band slip, but he said this was unusual. Hopefully this helps a little, Cheers, melanie

I seldom get Migraines but when I do, they pack a real mean punch. I get violently ill to the point were I can’t hold anything down. This is the first time I’ve had one since being banded and it really scares me to be so sick and to worry about if I might do any damage to the band. Does anyone else get migraines and if so what do you use for headaches and nausea? This is day three with a Migraine but I have to say it’s not as bad as it was on Saturday.

I have a friend who has recently found that taking Ginger tablets has controlled her migraines. It also helps with the nausea. She gets them from the health food shop. Maybe you have shops like that over there. Very best wishes.

I get Migraines too. I take Imitrex for the headache. I still have a tube of the anti-nausea gel that they gave me for surgery. I haven't had to use it yet, but I'm keeping it for that purpose. You just rub a little on your wrist and it gets absorbed through the skin so you don't have to take anything orally. You might ask your doc about it if you don't have any. You have to go to a compounding pharmacy to get it because they have to make it for you. Anyway, good luck and I hope this helps. I know how miserable migraines are. I've suffered since I was a kid.

Just curious, but have you tried taking a Beta Blocker for your Migraines? I have been getting them since I was about 9. When I was in my late 20's my doc prescribed a Beta Blocker. I only get migraines maybe once every few months if that (it is truly a wonderful thing). I carry around this medication now, it's called Maxalt-MLT and is made by MERCK. They disolve on your tounge and work like you wouldn't believe. I had to take one a couple of weeks ago, as soon as you get that first feeling of a Migraine take the medication. I got absolutely no pain or nausea or any other symptoms. Again, it is truly a wonderful thing. Ask your PCP about it. Good luck.

My Migraines are triggered by food and hormones. I can't change the hormones but every Protein drink I have ever tried has caused migraines. I haven't tried many but I am honestly afraid to try anymore. Playing "Russian Rulet" with Migraine is scary. As I am headed toward this surgery, does anyone have suggestions for Protein drinks with fewer additives and perservatives? My next stop is the health food store and I am concerned about the cost of those.

I agree with the post about Maxalt. It is great but must be taken at the first signs to work.

Thanks for your input!

Rachelle

Thanks for all the replies. Since I posted this, I again suffered another Migraine on Tuesday so I called the doctor and he prescribed some pain meds and nausea medication. I also scheduled an appt with him when I was feeling better and he now prescribed me Imitrex which should take the migraine away in 15 min (god I hope so).

Best of luck with the Imitrex. It worked for me for a while. I also had to take it at the very first sign of a Migraine and I had more of the "hang over" effect with it than I do with Maxalt.

I have been coping with Migraines for over 10 years. I have tried every acute treatment (Imatrix, Relpax, Maxalt, etc) and almost every preventative treatment (e.g., Beta Blockers, Topamax, etc). Nothing preventative has worked long-term for me. I had the most success with Topamax, but you need to go to a doc that understands the side effects at higher doses (can become highly sensitive to sunlight and get painful rashes).

For acute relief, Relpax has worked the best for me. However, I am off it now because I have severe rebound on it (my body starts producing migraines just to get the next dose of Relpax). The rebound effect can happen with any Triptan drug, including Imitrix, so just monitor how you are reacting. I would get relief from the Migraine, but then I started getting more frequent migraines and eventually had to go cold turkey off all medications to stop the pattern.

Since getting the band, I have found the nausea has intensified (my doc does not know why). I have no real solution for you because I refuse to take anything because of potential side effects. The only thing that is helping is increased exercise, which helps keep my serotonin up.

One last thought...acupuncture can work wonders for some migraine sufferers. I have not tried it because it is not covered by insurance, but I have two friends that swear by it...both for headache and nausea relief.

Good luck. Hope you find a remedy that works.

I have had Migraines for about 13 years now. Started right after my first was born. My doctor has be on Midrin and phenergan (pill form) or zofran (these dissolve) and for maintenance he has me on Verapamil it is a Calcium blocker used for blood pressure generally, but it works like a charm. The constant daily headache is gone and now I only have a couple migraines a week instead of everyday. I would wish for less but I'll take what I can get. I saw somewhere that the weight loss with the band can sometimes resolve migraines or at least make them less. We'll see when I get banded. He also recommended Migravent (google it). Says it works wonders, just haven't gotten any yet, or 600 magnesium a day. magnesium helps your body use meds better especially long-term pain meds. Hope this helps.