Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really just thought I would do a quick introduction. I have been reading posts for a couple of days and have found answers to many of my questions.

I have my consulation appointment with Dr. Rex Sherer in Shelby County, Alabama on 7/29/08. :biggrin2: I have been planning since the spring to be banded while school was out this summer but insurance (Tricare) issues have held things up.:thumbup:

I have been over weight my whole life but not like this until the past 10-12 years. I am beyond excited about this new and permanent change in my eating habits. :thumbup:I like to eat healthy foods, more so than most, I just don't know when to stop. I am very active and love "playing" with my family. I am looking forward to being able to be more active and hope that the benefits of my healthier lifestyle will influence my husband and children as well.

Since it doesn't look like my surgery will happen before the new school year starts for me on 8/25 and I only work outside the home on Mondays, what are the changes that I can have the surgery on Tuesday or Wednesday and return to teaching the next Monday? :confused2: I can hire a substitute but it costs at least $75.

Thanks!

PS - I don't have a ticker yet. My starting weight will be around 265 and my goal is 150. I am 5'4" so that is actually considered slightly over-weight but it has been a good weight for me in the past.

Hey,

Welcome from another Alabamian! I'm from Oneonta and had my surgery with Dr. Groves in Boaz. I was off work for 2 weeks. I know someone who was off for 1 week and she did Ok but wished she had taken an extra week. The first 3 days are the worst. After that you feel pretty weak and I also had bathroom issues ( liquids in- liquids out). Good Luck with your surgery!

First, I think Cahaba Valley only does the Lap Band surgery on Thursdays. That's when I had to have mine done. I was back to work on MONDAY. Of course, someone else had to drive me, but yeah, I was back at work. I was easy and careful about what I did, and I was really tired by the end of the day, but I felt fine, otherwise.

My starting weight was 271. I'm 5'2" (barely!) and like you, my goal weight is 150. I'll probably reassess when I get there, but for now, it's a good goal!

Hang in there. It will happen. It just takes a little time.

And, btw, you've picked a great group. CV's folks have been super!

A lot has changed since I posted originally. I spoke with CV yesterday. Dr. Sherer's surgery day is Friday so I know that Monday will be pushing it but we will see. They were hoping to be able to get me approved and scheduled for 8/22 because I am losing/changing insurance effective 9/1. I have done everything now and we are simply waiting on insurance approval. Hopefully, we will know something by Friday. I am really excited. The only thing that really bothered me with the nourishment class yesterday was the shrimp. I was counting on still being able to eat a shrimp or two every now and then. Thanks again for the support!

I don't know what the deal is with shrimp, but so far, I haven't had any problem eating them. I may later on, but I just take tiny bites and chew really well.

Watermelon, on the other hand, is apparently a BIG no-no with me.

I hope they get you scheduled and in before the big insurance change.

You have Tricare, right? Have you checked into getting Tricare Prime? You should talk to someone about it. Heck, it only costs us $115 every QUARTER!

My name is Kharissa, and I'm 26 years old as you all probally can see. I have three children and decided to have the lap band surgery. My first consultation visit is on August 19th 2008. I'm nervous and excited to get this part of my life started with. The first thing that I'm doing to start this out right is cutting back on my junk food. I hope this is a good way to start. I feel like I have to learn how to eat all over again and this I find to be the hardest part. Everyone is saying to me that you have to stop suddenly, but I find that changing the way the whole family eats is very slow process. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to start the whole family eating healthier that way when my operation gets approved I'll be ready.

We are actually on Tricare Prime because my husband is on active duty with the guard so we can choose Prime and I love it because I pay nothing out of pocket. The change comes in because he is planning to go on inactive status in September and go overseas as a contractor. We have been spinning our wheels trying to get out of debt for several years and we are hoping the added income will be the boost we need to get over the hump. We will have insurance after the change but from what I am reading it is with a company that makes it very difficult to get this approved. Tricare really has not caused me any issues. The issues have been that my husband's orders have been crazy this summer (a week here, two weeks there). He hasn't had a break in orders but because of a glitch we got dropped from Prime on June 1st and they just got it fixed last week but retro dated it to June 23rd. SOO I said all that say - I love Tricare Prime but we really think this move is what we need to do so we are taking a leap of faith and going for it. Also, it might help me with the diet because I won't have to feed him and my children don't mind eating spaghetti Os or something but I do want to make sure they are getting proper nutrition so that they don't have the same struggle I am having.

Tell me about setting goals. I am thinking about setting several mini goals like every 25 pounds and attaching increasing larger rewards according to the goals. For instance, for my 25 pound goal I would spend around $25 and have a pedicure or solar nails done and so forth.