Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can this really be done?

I am a 45 yr old female. I am 5' 9'' and I weigh 290 lbs. I have been up and down with my weight for over 20 years. I have tried every diet known to man. I will lose weight and do great for a while and then I gain it back plus more.

What makes this diet better than all the rest? How is this diet going to work for me?

I am desperate?

Well Grammy this isn't a diet. It is a tool to help you through whichever diet you chose. It isn't the end all solution to weight loss, you still have to watch what you eat but if you check out this forum you will read about all the success stories here and you too can be a success story. You'll find the people on this forum are very helpful and nice. Best wishes to you.

This is still a diet but you have help with the band. I'd say it helps me about 30%.

If I don't exercise I don't lose weight. I walk at least 2 miles every day and that seems to be enough.

If I eat sweets and easy "slider" foods, I don't lose weight.

On the other hand, I can't eat as much as I used to - at least 50% to 75% less even if I am being a butt head and eating ice cream and stuff. So the band protects me from myself.

If I pig out I usually gain only a pound or so but I am a good exerciser so I get back on track pretty quick.

This is the most important part of the band for me- not gaining back all I lost and more. I can lose weight- it's keeping it off that I cannot seem to do. I just need that 30% help to stay thinner and the band gives me that. It takes work on my part but I am thankful for the help.

Getting used to eating slowly (and I mean slow!), not being able to eat lots of things at all (they just won't go down no matter how slow I eat), and PB'ing when you least expect it, is a pain.

It takes some resolution on your part to give up your current eating life and start a new eating life.

I, for one believe it is worth it and now cannot believe how much I used to eat even when I was "dieting". No wonder I was FAT!

I have been banded for 4 months and have lost 41 lbs and am very happy with that. Only 52 to go- I am sure I will make my goal in one year.

Sadie

All I know is I was the most skeptical out there. I finally did it on June 5th and have lost 30lbs in 5 weeks. Oh my god how my life has changed. I am 5'10, 270lbs at time of surgery. It's the most amazing thing I could've ever done for myself. Go for it! :thumbs_down:

I do still have to diet and work at it, but somehow it seems a whole lot easier with the band. I'm sure part of that is psychological but it is physical as well. My attitude towards food is changing. I have dieted plenty of times before (lost 100 lbs. three times over 20 years) but I feel so different this time. It's like the little voice in my head that has always said "eat, eat, eat, what can you have next?" has been stilled. Last weekend I had family over and I served barbecued shrimp. In the past, even when dieting, it would have been hard for me to control myself and leave enough for everyone else. But this time, I had several shrimp and I was just done. I didn't even have to think about it. Near the end of the meal, there were still several shrimp left in the bowl near me. It didn't even occur to me to think "oh I want them" or "I hope nobody eats them, I can have them later when everyone goes home". Without even thinking about it, I offered it to others at the table and didn't even get that little twinge of desire as I handed the bowl over to someone else. It doesn't sound like much but for me it was big.

Oh, and another interesting thing. I've always made way too much food when having friends or family over. With the barbecued shrimp this time, I made HALF as much as I usually would have made.... and there was plenty to go around. My whole perception of portion size is changing.

I still have my occasional little binges, but they don't even qualify as binges compared to how I used to slip up. And they usually consist of healthy food because that's all I have in the house. And... another big thing.... I no longer use that "slip" as an excuse to go ahead and "blow it" for a few days before getting back on track. I'm right back on track the next morning.

You do have to want this journey.... because the band isn't going to do all the work for you, and you can eat around it if you want. But if you want the journey and you're ready for it, the band is a powerful tool.

I haven't been banded yet but I am sold on the idea. As the other posters said this is a tool. What great things can be done with the right tools!! A good food plan, the right tools, exercise, and this web site will help you succeed. Good luck and keep posting and reading.

I forgot to say and this was probably the most important thing-

food just doesn't matter that much to me anymore and I don't get as hungry as before.

The band is placed right over the area that secrets appetite hormones and can supress your appetite. The nurse told me that for some people their appetite comes back but mine has not.

I just don't care that much about food so I don't obcess about it anymore. What a relief for me! It reminds me of being on diet pills without the pills and the jittery feeling.

Good luck on your journey!

Sadie

Hi Grammy,

I'm 44, and I've been banded just 17 days. I was dreading the first weeks, because you start out with no fill, and a full liquid diet. My surgeon put me on two weeks of liquid diet, and I thought I would never be able to follow it, but low and behold, I did. The poster below is right. It simply changed how I felt about eating. It is a powerful tool. If you look at my profile, you will see I have been WAY up, and WAY down. Through all the diets, and all the success...I never lost the feeling of food having power over me. That just seems to be gone. I sincerely believe that food is a worse ism than alcohol, or heroin. The reason I believe that is that you can completely avoid contact with either of those, but food is always going to be in your life.

The Band:

It's not magic...but it's darn close.

I'm 49 years old, 5'8" and started at 270 lbs. I'm now at 182 lbs. Yes, I'd say it can be done. I am so happy with the band. I would not trade it for anything. Hell, I'd give up my kids before giving up the band!! LOL Seriously, being banded has been the best decision I've made for myself in my life. It is my best friend. For now and for always.

Sorry about the multiple postings. It kept telling me there was an error, and I kept trying again. Apparently they all worked.

It is working for me. I am the worlds worst dieter and I had serious doubts as to whether it would work for me. I have only had the band for less than 5 months but it has totally changed my life for the better!! The band tells you when to stop so that you don't overeat. Best of luck to you!

I am a 45 year old female, 5 foot even and started my journey at 286. I like you, tried every diet known to man. Yes, I would lose it... then get tired, hungry and gain it all back plus more. I have always been heavy. Even as a child.

I can only say that the band makes it so much easier. Yes, you still have to watch what you eat. You have to modify what, when, how and how much you eat. It is a true learning process, everyones journey is different. What works for me,, may not for the next person.

I can truely say that I am not hungry, and dont want to eat ALL of what I fix. Once you have the restriction, your hunger is curbed. Making it so much easier to stay on plan.

I just know that this is my last DIET. A new way of life and eating.

No more yoyo.. I am done

I was self pay, and I can not put a price on the way I FEEL now and the Health benifits that have occured since my journey started.

I AM WORTH THE MONEY....

Good Luck to you in whatever you decide.

We have virtually the same stats. I am 5'9" and will soon be 44. My highest weight ever was 295 lbs. I was at 285 when I started the pre-surgery diet. I have lost 40 lbs. since the end of March. The head hunger is a continuing struggle but much easier since the band. I had lots of health issues (high blood pressure, diabetes, GERD, back pain, etc. - all now resolved with no more medications) and I felt like I had to do something drastic. Now it doesn't seem all that drastic - just reasonable and workable. Good luck!

Hi Grammy, I am 5'8" tall and we have similiar stats. I weighed 320 at my highest and was banded at 282. I am now 215, about 20 lbs from goal. The lapband is the best tool there is. You have control over your portion sizes and your hunger. I can go hours and hours without eating in between meals. I have no food cravings whatsoever. My relationship with food has totally changed. I now eat for nutrition as appose to cravings. Good luck in your decision. Its totally worth it.

It has worked for me to get me 90 lbs down. I have never been thin. I weigh less now than I did when I graduated from High School. I hope it takes me where I have never been before.

It is a combination of things. First it is motivation, the weight coming off is motivation. Then your new life becomes a habit. The band provides restriction which prevents you from being able to eat, plain and simple.