Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So - who actually did damage their band?

I followed my doctors orders probably 95% of the time, and those couple of times I didn't I communicated where I didn't. If I didn't follow, I got back on plan asap. I don't have any complications now, I don't want any complications in the future and I am taking the health of my band seriously. I don't know if I will have a problem in the future, but if I do, I want to be able to say to myself that I made a strong go of this and I put forth my best effort.

I am really becoming disturbed by all the threads lately with the theme "I didn't follow doctors orders and don't intend to" or "I got off my diet plan, so please validate me by telling me everything is OK so I can continue not quite following doctors orders (but if you don't agree with me then you are against me and being opinionated)." However, threads with the theme "I got offtrack but really want to make this work, can you help me get back on the bus" are great threads for support and are helpful.

noahsmomm, This response is not specifically to this thread, just a response on a number of similar threads that I have seen lately. Many people move through their liquids stages faster than the plan allotted but all I would suggest is to call your doctor and make sure it is supported. I am just worried that too many threads along this line may have a negative impact on newbies that are just learning the new lifestyle.

How did I end up obese??? By making excuses to myself daily about why I can overeat. I am stressed because work was difficult . . . I had a bad day . . . I am so happy because this happened . . . time to Celebrate a good grade on my midterm . . . and the most important one of all (albeit frequently overused) . . . I am going to eat what I want today because I am starting my diet plan tomorrow (thank goodness I don't have a count for how many times I thought this, I am sure the number is enormous).

So what is my point . . . no more excuses for me. I have to take responsibility for my actions. I can cheat every single day if i want to, but I don't because I put myself under the knife due to being sick and tired of being sick and tired. If someone writes, I had pizza and ice cream 3 days after surgery and my band and I survived it . . . does that give me an excuse to go out and have a Big Mac???

If you are reading this thread, you have probably gone under the knife as well. That is no small step and not an easy road to take. If you start your journey by disregarding the rules, then you set yourself up for the possibility of failure.

If a few weeks of liquids and unpleasant foods can put you on the road to long term health and all of the benefits a more normal weight can provide . . . then you deserve to do the right thing for yourself. You can do this by taking personal responsibility for your actions and making no more excuses for not doing the right things.

This is the best and most realistic post I have seen in a very long time on this topic.

Hear hear! Good job, standing ovation, all that good stuff. ;o)

I was trying to calm her nerves. I'm not her surgeon and wasn't trying to act like I was.

Well, you kinda were acting like you are. Check it out:

I was told by my doctor to have Clear Liquids for the first week and then full liquids on the 2nd week so having full liquids on the 9th day and on isn't going to hurt you. I think the directions that your doctor gave you are good but since mine was a little different that tells me that having full liquids on the 2nd week is ok.

You are indeed telling her that by disregarding her doctor she'll be fine. Do you suppose there is a reason her doc gives the post op diet that he does?

Do you know that since they started slacking on the post op diets in the US slips have more than doubled?

Okay foks - didn't mean to start squabbles. It seems every time someone puts out a thread and actually gets an honest answer- people get upset. This is traumatic stuff to us all and we are all sensitive. HeatherO was hard on me- but dammit, she is right. I guess I don't understand why some of us can say "if my doctor said to drink Water for 3 months, I would do it" - then why couldn't you do that without the surgery? I think we are all addicts - and for some of us - SURGERY IS ROCK BOTTOM. The truth for me is - I thought it would be for me too and I guess it isn't becuase I am still doing the same behaviors and making the same excuses. It's too late to say "I wasn't ready" - I am ready to be cured of this, but maybe my rock bottom is slippage, erosion, throwing up - or maybe it's death. SAD, but true...........Thanks all.

I guess I don't understand why some of us can say "if my doctor said to drink Water for 3 months, I would do it" - then why couldn't you do that without the surgery?

Because this isn't even for three months. It's a month. It's long term we can't do it. If someone told you the life of your child depended on your doing a post op diet for a month, I'll bet you'd find a way to do it, right? So we do have it within ourselves to do it, we just have to accept that this is how it is.

Yeah, people get hungry on the post op diet but how many obese people do you know die of starvation? ;o) I think the issue that concerns me about post op diets (other than the healing issues) is that if someone isn'tf following their doc's instructions two weeks out of surgery, how will they do it long term?

This is a lifestyle change and the change happens the day of surgery. It's not easy but I don't think anyone here has promised easy. But if it helps any, it does get easier.

.... SURGERY IS ROCK BOTTOM. The truth for me is - I thought it would be for me too and I guess it isn't becuase I am still doing the same behaviors and making the same excuses. It's too late to say "I wasn't ready" - I am ready to be cured of this, but maybe my rock bottom is slippage, erosion, throwing up - or maybe it's death. SAD, but true...........Thanks all.

It may help to not look on or expect the lap band to be a "cure" for unhealthy eating habits that have often been built up over a lifetime. As people on here regularly say, the band is simply a tool that can help you to lose weight however you also have to take responsibility for making healthier food choices, following your doctor's instructions, exercising and everything else that helps a person with the lap band to lose weight and keep it off. If you are struggling with the changes you are required to make and feel that maybe you weren't as prepared as you could have been for the surgery maybe you could see a counsellor to get some extra support. Also, talk to your doctor, let them know you are struggling.

I wish you all the best.

My posting is addressed to the following people: those who are thinking about being banded, those who are about to be banded, and those who are newly banded.

While everyone has the right to post questions, concerns, and experiences, PLEASE realize that it is the position of Lapbandtalk that you follow the directions given to you by your health care team of professionals. If you find it too hard to stick to any of the pre-op or post-op instructions, CALL YOUR SURGEON'S OFFICE and ask to speak someone. Frequently, they have heard your complaint before and have ways of dealing with it.

Thank you.

My posting is addressed to the following people: those who are thinking about being banded, those who are about to be banded, and those who are newly banded.

While everyone has the right to post questions, concerns, and experiences, PLEASE realize that it is the position of Lapbandtalk that you follow the directions given to you by your health care team of professionals. If you find it too hard to stick to any of the pre-op or post-op instructions, CALL YOUR SURGEON'S OFFICE and ask to speak someone. Frequently, they have heard your complaint before and have ways of dealing with it.

Thank you.

Soooo, it is not suggested that the vets follow their doc's advice? ;o)

Just the vets who are doing another pre or post-op diet. LOL.

Soooo, it is not suggested that the vets follow their doc's advice? ;o)

YEEE HAW!!! That means I am off the hook now right? lol....that is the way for me to be fat and gross again. No thanks!

I also want to point out that just because someone else is able to do something that is BAD and get away with it there is NO guarantee that we can!

I will say that I followed the rules about 99% of the time as well. But when I do mess up it is not something intentional or planned. It is a slip up. I didn't go through what I went through to get my band to screw it up. I did this to change my life.

If you aren't serious and committed about your band then why get it done? I am too sick of people who are looking for valadation to cheat on the diet. What is the point?

I am really becoming disturbed by all the threads lately with the theme "I didn't follow doctors orders and don't intend to" or "I got off my diet plan, so please validate me by telling me everything is OK so I can continue not quite following doctors orders (but if you don't agree with me then you are against me and being opinionated)." However, threads with the theme "I got offtrack but really want to make this work, can you help me get back on the bus" are great threads for support and are helpful.

Phew. Finally someone tells it like it is! Thanks, HeatherO. There are way too many people on these boards who just don't get that THE DOC'S ORDERS ARE THERE FOR A REASON!!

OP, this is not directed at you. Just at the worrying trend I've noticed lately in pre-op and post-op boards....