Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There's a difference!

:tt1: I figured I'd post a rant... you know what really bugs me? When people on the OH forum say LapBanders are failures. Lets define failure shall we?

Is it a failure to lose all your access weight WITHOUT the help of malabsorption and only with restriction? I think NOT.

They compare our surgeries as though we are on the same racing field. How is that fair if we don't have good ol' MALABSORPTION to help us out?

I hate it when the RNY and band are compared. I tell people I got the band and they say, "Oh I know So and So who lost tons of weight with the bypass. So you must be losing TONS of weight!" Ugh.

I am losing at a healthy (and quite speedy actually) pace. And we are doing it without the help of rearranged body parts. I have nothing againsts RNYers and DSers (in fact, in my home town, I am one of few banders in a group of 40 of RNYers).... but I DO have a problem with those people that call us failures.

It is not FAILURE to be empowered and to listen to your body and lose weight.

My new thing now is... I don't want to call the procedure a weight loss surgery anymore. I think calling it an implant is a better idea. They are now putting in implants to attach the hunger nerves... and THOSE people will most likely not call it surgery. WHY SHOULD I? I got an implant to help me control hunger. That is it.

:tt1::cursing::tt1: Sorry... had to vent.

I don't understand. Why are they calling it a failure? Because you lose weight slower? Studies show that in the end, we all end up losing about the same (band vs bypass).

I believe like you...I would much rather lose slower and healthier than take the chance of decreased health status due to malabsorption. The quicker weight loss is not worth it to me.

You're right about it being an implant. I think that is a good way to think about it.

Your weight loss is going great! I was banded in March and have lost 35 lbs. I was stuck for a month but an now moving again so I'm very pleased with my band.

Keep up the good work!

I think an "implant to help control hunger" is a pretty accurate description. I think that people need to remember that Lapbanders are learning to control their lives they are learning how to finally take control of themselves.

To me, the only lap band failures are those who just continue to eat out of control. AND, they are only failures if they do not seek additional help and support to continue the process.

There are lapband misfortunes such as erosion, accidental slips, body rejection, etc.

Bypass and rerouting surgeries are usually successful, yes, but when you factor in the weight gain that they usually have at the end, to me, that is failure. There was no self control and no change in lifestyle and thinking about eating.

I went to eat with two ladies one night, one with the band and one with the bypass. Both ate regular fat-laden food to the point of having to stop on the way home and BOTH women were out of the car throwing up. They eat what they want and then when they are too full, they throw up. To me that is failure. They did not learn to change their lives and how they eat to be healthy.

i agree with you totally about the malabsorption! a good friend of mine had the rny & tried to talk me into it. she is very happy with the results although to me she looks unhealthy, however she is THIN- which is ALL she was concerned about. i think that us banders took the safer, healthier route & in the end we will be more accustomed to eating properly, the bypass patients are more SHOCKED & FORCED into change, with us its gradual & a wee bit slower. on the plus side, WE dont have to worry (NECESSARILY) about our pouches stretching back out & gaining ALL that weight back!!! WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK? ALL OF US took steps with medical interventions to get on the road to weight loss success & HEALTH!!

Good post! I agree completely! I know several people at work, and several celebrities who had RNY and have since gained back much of the lost weight. Someone told me recently that Al Roker got a band over his RNY because he'd gained so much back!!!

Why must everyone think it's some kind of competition? We should all be congratulated for doing something to make ourselves healthy again - for some it's Weight Watchers, others the Band and still others choose radical surgery. Who cares? It does make me want to rant when people (RNYers) treat me as if I'm something less than they are because I chose the band. Hell with 'em! I know what I did is right, right, right for ME and that's all that matters!

Who needs OH when you have lapbandtalk.com?? lol. This site gives me everything I need to be successful with my band.

And it's funny that they would say that crap, because the three or four personal friends I have that got the bypass all gained their weight back and then some and are completely miserable in their life because they have the "dumping" syndrome they say. But even then, I wouldn't call them failures. They are food addicts. food is yummy and that's why I understand how anybody could gain their weight back. My friend who is now back up to about 375 after her bypass told me it started with a french fry from Mcdonalds and then she started eating more and more of them everyday and somehow her pouch just stretched out. She had successfully gotten down to like a size 12. my band probably wouldnt' let me have a fry, nor would I ever want to try.

I posted a sorta woe is me need help feeling liek I'm not on the right track post on OH and got 2 VERY snotty replies from who seemed to be moderators or something like that. I was so erked by these 2 I just logged out of my account. I am going to delete it. They really upset me and were of no help. They actually upset me even more!

I love this site and have recieved nothing to amazing support and answeres to questions I have had even the silly ones I was over reacting about.

I wish there were more places like this forum i could go to in person and feel as much support as I do here!!

I'm sure there are wonderful people at OH but I'm just going to go with this site its just BETTER!!!

XOXOX

Barbie

I agree with everything you guys have said; although, I have no idea what OH is. I'm assuming you are not talking about the state of Ohio. LOL.

Yeah I like OH because it has local people I meet all the time and the LapBand Forum is awesome (as long as other surgeries STAY OUT), but I am starting to enjoy this forum A TON because everyone is so nice and understands each other SO WELL. Banders unite.

I agree with everything you guys have said; although, I have no idea what OH is. I'm assuming you are not talking about the state of Ohio. LOL.

I believe they are referring to Obesity Help