Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Kapplan in Kingsport?

I was very pleased with Dr. Watson's bedside manner and his staff. I have heard several people say that he is much more friendly and has a better bedside manner than Dr. Hodge, although Dr. Hodge is also an excellent Dr. I have BC/BS of TN insurance and I had to pay I believe it was $400.00 initially because BCBS had not approved the surgery. After the surgery was approved, I got a $300.00 check back from Dr. Watson's office. I payed $12.00 to the Psych Dr. that insurance did not pay and that was ALL I had to pay. My insurance payed for everything else, hospital bill, being put to sleep, everything. I was very fortunate. It did take a while to meet all the insurance requirements, like going to my PCP monthly to be weighed, showing that I could lose 10% of my body weight in 3 months but could not keep it off.... so I had to lose some weight and then gain it back. Anyway, after I had met all the insurance requirements which took about 8 months from my first office visit, it took another 3 months to get a surgery date with Dr. Watson. If Dr. Hodge had been my Dr., I could have had it done in about 3-4 weeks. Does this say anthing about Dr. Watson's caseload and bedside manner. I think so. I had the surgery on a Monday morning at JCMC, came home Tuesday evening and went back to work in 3 weeks. I could have probably gone back to work in 2 weeks, but enjoyed being home. Have had no problems with the band, no problems with vomiting and have been able to eat all foods. I do have to eat slow, or it feels like it is stuck in my chest, but goes away soon. You do learn to eat slowly and chew, chew, chew. My weight loss has been slow, but I have always heard you keep it off better when you lose slowly. Good luck.

Lotstolose, thanks. If I don't hear something from Drs. Kramer or Kappa soon, I may have to send my info. to Drs. Watson and Hodge. Thanks for the insight.

Oh, also, I am interested to know what type of work you do, Lotstolose. I was certainly hoping not to be out of work more than a few days. I'm a teacher, and being off work is a big hassle for me.

I had my surgery with Dr Hodge. He has been very kind but doesn't really tell you much. Such as what band or the size or how much cc the fill is. I was private pay and with all the test it was around 18,000. I now know he only uses the lap band.

I do office work. The only restriction was not to lift anything over 5 lbs. So I think if you do not have to do any lifting you would be able to go back to work in a couple of days after surgery. Is the surgery done in Kingsport as same day surgery or overnight surgery? I think I could have gone home the same day but it is a policy of JCMC to have a 23 hr. stay with the lap band surgery.

I had my surgery with Dr Hodge. He has been very kind but doesn't really tell you much. Such as what band or the size or how much cc the fill is. I was private pay and with all the test it was around 18,000. I now know he only uses the lap band.

Beth443, When did you have your surgery with Dr. Hodge? How many fills have you had? I had my surgery Jan. 2008 and have only had 3 fills. The last one done last week has helped more than the others. I could not tell anything had been done with the others but with this one, I get satisfied with a smaller amount of food and do not get hungry as quick.

Aivey

I am also a teacher..I am hoping to have my surgery around Spring Break but have days saved up if I need to take more time off or in case it doesn't work out for me to have the surgery during that time

Thanks to all. It's neat to know there is another area teacher going through this, too. You know what I mean about it being a hassle to be away from work. I was hoping to have it sooner than Spring Break, but I know that may be totally unrealistic.

I did hear from the doctors' office today. They sent me an information packet with "homework" to do before they will schedule the appointment. I am anxious to get all that done and have my consult. I can't wait to see today's mail. (Hubby will be here with it any minute.)

Okay...I just got off the phone with both offices, Drs. Kappa and Kramer and Drs. Hodge and Watson.

I asked questions about how long the surgeons have been doing the gastric banding procedures, requirements for first appointments, and program fees.

I am now thinking I might rather see the JC doctors. Dr. Kappa has only been doing this for a year, and Dr. Kramer for five. Both doctors Watson and Hodge have been at this for six years. (The lady I spoke to, Christine, said they have around 1000 bariatric surgeries under their belts including both by-pass and band.) Karen in Kingsport didn't offer to quote any numbers as to how many of these surgeries the doctors in her office have preformed. Also, Karen answered only my direct quesitons, while Christine offered other information. Also, Kingsport charges a program fee for "educational materials." In Johnson City, there is no program fee. All the educational training is provided as part of their services. Overall, the Johnson City office just seemed more accommodating and friendly.

Does anyone have any advice? How did y'all pick your surgeon?

Dr. Watson has done several types of surgeries for family members -gallbladder surgery, thyroid surgery, hernia repair and gastric bypass and Lap Banding. All have gotten along great with the procedures. I also know a lot of people who have had the gastric bypass and the Lap Banding so when I decided to have the procedure, I did not consider any other facility. I think Dr. Watson or Dr. Hodge would do you a great job. The other physicians may also do great work, I just have not heard anything about them.

Aivey,

Dr. Watson was my first choice. He is an excellent surgeon and his credentials are impeccable. As I mentioned before, the office staff turned me off. Also, I live in Kingsport which is more convenient to me than JC.

I have a friend who had laproscopic gallbladder surgery done by Watson. She is an MD and said he was one of the best surgeons in the area.

Good luck to you in whichever surgeon you choose. Sounds like you are doing your homework which is very important.

Dee

Thanks...after reading lots more (I've been online all night) and talking to my family, I think I am going to go with Watson and Hodge. They seem to have a lot of experience, and I know that I like JCMC. My MIL had two hip replacements there in the past few years, and I am really fond of the place. I live in Rogersville, but I work in Bulls Gap, so either place is equally convenient to me. However, if I go to the JC office and feel put off, I can always make an appt. with the Drs. in Kingsport.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll keep posting updates on this thread anyway.

Hi Folks:

I had my surgery in June and Dr. Kramer was my surgeon, He is excellent, One of my students had surgery in July by Dr. Watson and he is excellent also! Dr. Kramer had a practice in Virginia for years before he came to Kingsport. Dr. Kramer onley does a few WL surgeries.

I think anyone you choose in either practice will be a safe choice. Kramer has had WLS himself. He had a bypass. I was able to get the surgery quicker with Kramer and live in Kingsport, so it was easier.

When I had my pre op I didn't have a program fee, in fact my entire process only cost me $50.00 and that included the hospital. I had 2 copays at the office. I will begin co pays again this next visit, because they don't charge for office visits 90 days after surgery. They may have added the 150. charge recently. I can understand they spend a lot of time on patient education and getting the insurance approval.

Again, whichever doctor you choose, Watson, Hodge, Kappa or Kramer, you will be in good hands!

Good luck to you all!

PS My first visit to Kramer was in March and I had Surgery in June

Hi Folks:

One of my students had surgery in July by Dr. Watson and he is excellent also!

I assume from this statement that you are a teacher. I assume you teach college (or at the youngest high school). Were you still in school when you had your surgery? If so, how long did you have to take off from work? If not, how long do you think you would've had to take off? As I've mentioned before, I'm a teacher.