Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad bander, but curious question!! ha ha

Pysch evaluations are a joke if you ask me . There are LOTS Of people who have been put through for banding that have no business being banded because of serious food issues.

I dont think there is anything"wrong" with the OP . She just does not know how to get back on track

MIndy

I think we need to be careful about making blanket statements like psych evals are a joke...with anything, there are probably some psychologists who are very good at it and some who are not. Mine was excellent, and she actually is a GB patient. So, she truly understands the ramifications and the changes necessary. I have no doubt that she would not hesitate to recommend to a doctor that someone was not ready for LB.

The reason i have not posted is because i am scared as hell!! I scared to right anything or ask anything! Everything i say gets taked wrongly!! When i said i do things my way, it was in a since a joke metioning how stubborn i am. I did so well with the pre-op liquids, and farely good with the post opp liquids!! Now im on pureed i guess i just dont see the difference in me chewing to liquid form, and putting it into the blender?? I need help, believe me i know!! Im crying right now, cus yall have made me feel terrible! I dont like how people are talking about me, saying i will not suceed, i know i will! I have came this far! I dont need permission, or validation, all i was looking for was, keep your head up, get back on track and we all mess up!! I just needed to know i wasnt alone!! I was not looking for someone to say yea i cheat so you can too!! I really wish people would stop assuming!! I wish i never asked for help, wished i never posted!! I feel worse now than ever! Yall have made me feel like its too late now, might as well give up!! The worst part is i dont like people being mad at me!! Now i feel like everyone hates me!! I just need help! I dont know what to do anymore! My doc is not the greatest, all they pretty much said was add Water and a blender!! How appealing is that?? I feel so alone and confused!!

Im sorry to every one! and thank you for your advice. But i guess i am a failure!!! I mean now what?? I guess i already screwed up!!

But please just forget this whole thing!!!

Ebeth, you need to re-read the posts in this thread and stop letting emotion cloud your judgment. The only person your hurting by not taking the advice offered on these boards is yourself. The people here are TRYING to help you...back up, take a deep breath and try and be objective.

I hope everything works out for you, please let your doctor know what's been going on and try and stick with his instructions.

Forgetting about things do not make them go away.

I think we need to be careful about making blanket statements like psych evals are a joke...with anything, there are probably some psychologists who are very good at it and some who are not. Mine was excellent, and she actually is a GB patient. So, she truly understands the ramifications and the changes necessary. I have no doubt that she would not hesitate to recommend to a doctor that someone was not ready for LB.

NO I think in general Psych evaluations are a joke. Would they stop someone from getting a band ? YES DO They ? Most of the time no .

MOST of the time the psych evaluations are something that the insurance companies require or the docs do to cover their ass .

Im stating my opinion and I see nothing wrong w/ what i said.

regardless if one is a WLS patient or not . SURE yours probably understands the ramifications a little better.

Just my input

Mindy

well I didnt follow to a T...however my post op diet was 2 wks liquid and then 2 weeks full liquid ( which the full starts tommorow). now this being said.,.every surgeon has different post op diets so..I didnt eat solids..but during my clears I did have some things consider more of a full liquid..o yea..my Dr. also had me on milk and yogurt during clear liquids..and thats not clear..so I occasionally had some other liquids eqivalent to yogurt and milk...I didnt eat burgers and stuff tho lol..so I followed the rules..but kind of cheated a lil...not so much tho.

well I didnt follow to a T...however my post op diet was 2 wks liquid and then 2 weeks full liquid ( which the full starts tommorow). now this being said.,.every surgeon has different post op diets so..I didnt eat solids..but during my clears I did have some things consider more of a full liquid..o yea..my Dr. also had me on milk and yogurt during clear liquids..and thats not clear..so I occasionally had some other liquids eqivalent to yogurt and milk...I didnt eat burgers and stuff tho lol..so I followed the rules..but kind of cheated a lil...not so much tho.

This is why i always suggest to ask the docs . I too had 2 weeks of clears and 2 weeks of fulls. My doc however allowed me ahead of time IF I needed it due to my Migraines i could go on full liquids during the Clear Liquids stage .

I ended up not needing it . Your doc seems flexiable a little as well.

Sometimes if patients were to just say " Look i am STARVING I cant do this is there something i can add" the docs would allow it .

But just do not do it w/ out asking .

Mindy

Hi Ebeth,

I notice some pretty harsh statements on this blog - some from people responding to your question and some from you. I have seen some of your other threads before and it looks like you are trying to sabotage yourself. If we knew what was best for ourselves, we wouldn't be in the situation of needed surgery to lose weight. I really recommend you try your very best to follow your Dr's advice - he/she knows what is best for you. It gets easier and easier - really it does.

Be really mindful after your fill - you don't want to hurt yourself!

I am going to keep a good thought for you and your success!

I am so glad I found this thread. I am 7 days post op and have started the pureed diet. I pureed food last night and after I was very stomach sick. After reading all the post I guess it was too thick. I will go back to more liquid purees.

What is the reason for not drinking Water during meals? I think this is the part that I will have the most trouble with - I keep forgetting this as I have always had Water with meals.

Ebeth - hang in there and take the good advise from these posts.

I'm not an old pro at this by any means. I've only been banded 11 days, but I've also been tempted by feeling like I could eat more than the liquids I'm allowed to eat, but I called my doctor. They made it very clear that the stitches holding the band in place were the reason for the liquid diet and that it was important for my stomach not to digest or make digestive motions during the next few weeks to weaken those stitches or pull at them, much the same as I'm not allowed to lift heavy objexts of pull the 60lb dog around the block :).

The doctor did advise me to drink more liquids and have more variety in the liquids I'm drinking which has helped me sooo much. One thing about the liquid stage is that we can sip as much as we want more or less. What a bonus!!

I try to think of this as training for when I will need to keep myself more hydrated in the future.

I make juice slushies in the blender with ice and my favorite juices and take a small flip top jug with me as I go from room to room.

Anyways, I do hope you'll contact your doctor about this. I wish you the best.

congrats to you Lavetta and Suzie !!

ya'll are doing well.

Lavetta I see your in TX what part ? Im outside of Austin

Mindy

I think to some degree you can "cheat". I stuck to clear liquids until day 6 or 7 and then tried pureed and full liquids. I think in that case it's ok because although a thicker liquid...it is still a liquid. And I only skipped one or two days ahead. I would however...not eat any solid foods yet. None...atleast not until week 3 or 4...which is what my doctor states. And he's at a bariatric center of excellence. Also always take in small, tiny amounts and slowly to see how you're body will react..still eating solids is probably a big no-no right now.

Sorry but you cant say its "ok" to cheat w/ liquids but not solids . cheating is cheating . If you call and ask your doc if its ok to move the diet and he says ok then that's one thing.

for instance my doc told me IF I NEEDED TO because of my Migraines I COULD start the first week w/ Full liquids instaed of clears. But i tried it w/ clears and I was fine so i did not adjust anything.

But you cant say "I think to some degree you can "cheat""

NOT FOLLOWING DOCTORS ORDERS IS NOT FOLLOWING Doctors orders. You said yourself your doc is a center of excellence . Do you think it got that way by accident ? Seriously ? Or do you think it got that way becaue the System they have in place WORKS ? Not by cheating on liquids a few days early . Thicker Liquids churn your stomach more than clear liquids thats why docs do not want you drinking FULL Liquids straight out of surgery !!

Sorry but that's just my opinion . You either follow orders or you dont . its not a half ass thing in my opinion .

Mindy

I think to some degree you can "cheat". I stuck to clear liquids until day 6 or 7 and then tried pureed and full liquids. I think in that case it's ok because although a thicker liquid...it is still a liquid. And I only skipped one or two days ahead. I would however...not eat any solid foods yet. None...atleast not until week 3 or 4...which is what my doctor states. And he's at a bariatric center of excellence. Also always take in small, tiny amounts and slowly to see how you're body will react..still eating solids is probably a big no-no right now.

I think the real key here is that we fat folks do tend to find just about any reason to justify food. By saying that cheating just a little bit is okay is like saying that when you don't form the right scarring around the band and slip just a little it's okay because it's just a little slip.

It's important to get out of the mindset of entitlement of food and justifying food. This is part of the head stuff that comes with WLS. It's no longer okay to cheat, justify food, come up with reasons why more food and the wrong foods are acceptable. Quite frankly, it's not acceptable. It is that very thinking that got us fat to begin with.

I think the real key here is that we fat folks do tend to find just about any reason to justify food. By saying that cheating just a little bit is okay is like saying that when you don't form the right scarring around the band and slip just a little it's okay because it's just a little slip.

It's important to get out of the mindset of entitlement of food and justifying food. This is part of the head stuff that comes with WLS. It's no longer okay to cheat, justify food, come up with reasons why more food and the wrong foods are acceptable. Quite frankly, it's not acceptable. It is that very thinking that got us fat to begin with.

:cry_smile::thumbup::drool::thumbup::blink:

Ok, so I had started writing a response to that. And I just really can't. I know too many people like you and it's just hard because you know no reason. So I'm going to leave it at this.