Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If a doc was in the "ghetto".....

If you went for a informational seminar on one of the "top doctors" in your area (say, Atlanta...) but there practice and the hospital they perform in was in a bad area, would you still consider them for your surgery?

My response? No.

This happened to me. I went for a seminar for Dr. Titus Duncan/Dr. Hobson Peachtree Surgical Center & Bariatrics. I didn't even go to the seminar. I missed the turn into his office (which the seminar was actually at a different location, but I didn't realize that until I already went to his office building). I went down two blocks and there were housing projects and all kinds of scandalous looking folks walking down the street. There were homeless people (which isn't unusual for Downtown Atlanta regardless of whether the area is nice or not). It just looked so... uuh... ghetto.

I thought to myself "Do I really want to come here for appointments, surgery, fills, etc???" I thought about it then I decided that honestly I never wanted to come back to that area again in my life. I'm sure the doc was great and all... but there are like 70 bariatric surgeons in the Atlanta area... way too many to choose one where I feel the need to lay a gun in the passenger seat before getting off the highway.

What are your thoughts?

<sorry if this should have gone under the docs and hospitals section, that section appears to be more area/doctor specific versus general discussion.

All things being equal if you don't want to go to his area then he is not the right doctor for you.

Not get preachy, but this might be a time to give a note of thanks to everyone who has made your life such that you never have to drive through an economically depressed area, let alone live in it.

But yeah it'd be a different story if there was only one surgeon and that was where he was located. I'd tell you to see him anyway. :thumbup:

I am from the Atlanta area. There are many excellent doctors that do not put you in harms way. There is so much to adjust to in this new life, don't give yourself an excuse to not proceed.

First I agree that if for any reason you are not comfortable with the doctor/office/location, etc. I would say don't go. Trust your instincts.

On another note - please be mindful of the wording you use. I get tired of people referring to lower-class neighborhoods with "projects" (which are government funded housing) and certain types of "people" in them as "ghetto"....the "ghettoes" of today used to be the thriving points of every city and then things drastically changed. I appreciate your post, but please be mindful of your language. I was offended. Thank you,

My surgeon is located by a major downtown Oklahoma City hospital. The surrounding area is low-income but, it doesn't really bother me. I mean I don't feel so unsafe that I think someone is going to attack me on the way into the building. The hospital campus is very nice and so is his office.

A lot of hospitals are located in lower income areas. I know my surgeon is good and that means more to me then the area his office is in.

So, my answer is; no I don't really care what neighborhood my doc is located in, I only care that he's a good doctor that is committed to my success.

Just because there is low income housing near would not cause me to discount the doctor or hospital. As long is there is safe parking with appropriate security it would be fine for me.

My choice would be related more to the skills of the doctor and hospital. If the doctor had a solid reputation, lots of experience, good bedside manner and the hospital environment was safe, why not go there? I have more of an appreciation for people who choose to work in economically depressed areas. Everyone is entitled to good healthcare.

As far as scandalous looking folk are concerned, what was it about them that looked so scandalous? Was it their clothing, vehicles, skin color, etc? I dont like making generalizations about people I see on the street with no knowledge about who they are or what their lives are like. Have any of us not felt the sting of being judged in some way based on our weight?

Edited by HeatherO

If you don't feel safe or comfortable your not going to keep up with very important follow up care. Thats the main point past all the judgmental ideas on what you saw around the place.

First I will address the hospital in the ghetto concern:

Yes I would go if it was a good hospital. I do my research and would not go to a hospital that did not have a glowing reputation.

Many of the best hospitals in the country are in so called "ghettos". Columbia Presbyterian Hospital aka New York Presbyterian Hos is in a ghetto but it hasn't stopped US Presidents, famous athletes, and some of the richest people in the world from going there. Secondly, it hasnt stopped the top Md students, Doctors, and researchers in the world from coming to the hospital. Oprah's favorite Dr, Dr. Oz is the head of Cardiology at the hospital.

So in closing, I think that you should choose whatever hospital you want. However, do not equate the quality of the hospital with your assumption of the quality of the people who live around it. If you don't want to see poor people or people who don't fit into your view as acceptable, so be it and don't go.

Now I will address the no so subtle subtext:

Alcoholics are everywhere, the homeless do exist, and drugs addicts live in the suburbs too. You should realize that the people who live in economically depressed areas are just as offended by the living conditions as you are.Try not to be so judgmental, we are all human.

Edited by chocolate_snaps
Perfectionism

chocolate Snaps,

Washington Heights is not really "the Ghetto".....you know there are worse neighborhoods - that would REALLY be considered "ghetto" :- )

I live in the suburbs and I thank my lucky stars everyday for everything I have. I at one time lived in the public housing as a single mother of 2. I worked my way out of it... I was horrified by some of the conditions there. That's so offensive to hear someone talk about someone just being in that area as scandalous. I wasn't scandalous.. I just worked many hours to raise my kids and get ahead... I did and it probably wasn't because of people that stereotyped me either.

I do VERY well for myself now and I own a very large house in the suburbs. I drive through my old neighborhood and I see people that just hope they can do what I managed to do someday.

Oh and I would go to a doctor pretty much at any location if it was a doctor that I was willing to trust under the knife. I do lots of research on the doctors and hospitals.

first i will address the hospital in the ghetto concern:

Yes i would go if it was a good hospital. I do my research and would not go to a hospital that did not have a glowing reputation.

Many of the best hospitals in the country are in so called "ghettos". Columbia presbyterian hospital aka new york presbyterian hos is in a ghetto but it hasn't stopped us presidents, famous athletes, and some of the richest people in the world from going there. Secondly, it hasnt stopped the top md students, doctors, and researchers in the world from coming to the hospital. Oprah's favorite dr, dr. Oz is the head of cardiology at the hospital.

So in closing, i think that you should choose whatever hospital you want. However, do not equate the quality of the hospital with your assumption of the quality of the people who live around it. If you don't want to see poor people or people who don't fit into your view as acceptable, so be it and don't go.

Now i will address the no so subtle subtext:

Alcoholics are everywhere, the homeless do exist, and drugs addicts live in the suburbs too. You should realize that the people who live in economically depressed areas are just as offended by the living conditions as you are.try not to be so judgmental, we are all human.

i so agree with every single word you said!! In starting to read this post, i was so offended and wanted to scream. I had my surgery in a real bad area in Mexico and was told never to go anywhere without a "couple" of people and travel in groups. I did my research on my doctor and felt he was the best choice for me in having a successful surgery with an excellent outcome. It makes me upset when people use words that are judgemental. It's no different when you have stupid people making comments on fat people, that their lazy, won't exercise and like being fat!! It's all just wrong!! So "katiebugs", you really need to be very very careful with the words you use. The post was very offensive to me!!

Lena23

chocolate Snaps,

Washington Heights is not really "the Ghetto".....you know there are worse neighborhoods - that would REALLY be considered "ghetto" :- )

It kind of is. I live here. Born and raised. It may not be East Harlem but it is high crime and poverty. Gentrification has changed the 3 blocks surrounding the hospital but go down 2 more to Amsterdam and you'll see. I admit it has changed a lot in the past 10 years but it is what it is.

Taking scandulous, race, poverty, etc. aside if you don't feel safe I wouldn't go back. Follow up care can be a lot and frequent visits. Good luck finding a new surgeon.

choclatesnaps,

Girl you are a trip! I'm from East Harlem- 135th and Madison.

You know what I am saying--5-20 blocks south and 2-3 avenues over. Umm hum!