Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious about the endoscopy I am scheduled for beginning of August. You are completly anesthetized for this right? Just wondering what others have experienced during there endoscopy?

Yes, they knock you out. You don't feel a thing. I barely remembered anything. The hardest part is getting the needle in your arm:).

My doc wants to to have one because he suspects a tiny hernia. If you don't mind my asking, what are the reasons they docs would suggest having an endoscopy? I'm struggling with the decision to have one.

My doctor has this as a part of his routine pre-surgical criteria for all lap band patients. It was painless and over quickly. Afterwards the Dr. said, "everything looks great...and there isn't anything that would prohibit you from having the surgery." He was looking for any issues that would cause swallowing problems and or scaring from acid reflux. He may have also looked for hernias but that wasn't an issue for me.

I just had my upper endoscopy done last tuesday. It was way easier than expected. The nurse that gave the IV was the best no pain no bruising. I was rolled in to the or and put right to sleep only to wake up feeling only a little groggy. I spoke with the dr got up and my hubby drove me home. I slept for 4 hours after I got home. It was like a nice little vacation to me! My surgeone requires the EGD to make sure that your Esophagus is in great working order. I had severe GERD so I was a definite go to have it done. I did have to have my done at the hospital due to the fact that I have sleep apnea. Good luck

****Phew**** I thought they sedated you but was not sure. How long after scope did you have to stay?

I went in at 8am and was out of the surgical center at about 10:30am. It's actually called conscious sedation. I guess it is sedation, but I don't remember a thing. I was completely knocked out.

ive had it done several times for stomach ulcers.in and out good buzz, go home sleep take the day off. like someone said, iv is the worst part and most people that do it make it painless. no needs to worry.

So from what everyone seems to be saying is that your still pretty zonked when you are done. I guess I should have my in-laws stay for a few hours after I get back to still keep an eye on the kids.

You are right Jasmine it is called 'conscious sedation' the term for the medicine is 'Twilight' you can look it up. You are actually extremely relaxed and they will talk to you during the procedure, mainly to swallow etc... but you will have NO recollection of this at all!.. incredible really. Apparently I must have cried a bit as I had mascara all down my face!!.. but DON"T PANIC!... I remember falling asleep and waking up.. I actually fell on the floor as I woke up as I thought I was in bed and late for work!.. thankfully the doctor and the nurse caught me ha..

nothing to fear.. enjoy the dreams!!!.. you won't remember them for long!..

I was sedated too, but they told me before hand it was not going to be 'twilight' sedation, it was the totally knocked out kind of sedation. I guess different doctors have their own preferences.

My surgeon also does endoscopies on all her pre-op patients as a routine check. They found a 5cm hiatus hernia which was fixed when I was banded on 28th May. My reflux disappeared like magic! :o

This "twilight sedation" is freaking me out. I don't like the idea of something going down my throat in the first place. But from what I have read you can respond or hear voices I believe. But after you can either have total amnesia or they say bad memories of episode. I'm trying not to think too much about it cause I have no choice in the matter (I need to do endoscopy) but I hope I get the knock you out completely drug.:o

I have had 2 since beginning this process....I was completely out both times! The last thing I remember both times was them telling me to enjoy my nap ;-) The only side effect for me was a little tired, a slight headache and a scratchy throat ;-) GL!

This "twilight sedation" is freaking me out. I don't like the idea of something going down my throat in the first place. But from what I have read you can respond or hear voices I believe. But after you can either have total amnesia or they say bad memories of episode. I'm trying not to think too much about it cause I have no choice in the matter (I need to do endoscopy) but I hope I get the knock you out completely drug.:thumbup:

Frazzeld Mom,

I agree with the others, getting the IV in my arm was the hardest part--it didn't necessarily hurt just had trouble finding a vein. I was rolled in, had a very nice nap while I had the colonsocopy and endoscopy done. Since I had them done at the same time it took a little longer. I don't remember anything, I didn't even have the scratchy throat or anything. I just awakend, laid in bed for a about 20 minutes while they monitored me and then the DR came in said all is well and my DH drove me home by way of a diner because I was very hungry! I believe that my surgeon requires it of all patients but I have an ulcer so I definately had to have it.

Honestly for the patient there is no difference between the twilight and the general as far as memory goes.. in fact Twilight is so much better because you can go home almost immediately!. You won't remember a thing!

If you are very concerned and nervous ask them for a premed.but really! my endoscopy was a walk in the park! I actually thought 'sedation' mean't AWAKE and relaxed. I didn't realise I had the TWILIGHT until the surgeon told me afterwards. I thought it was a general!..

you will be fine!!.. some people have very erotic dreams!!!!... something to look forward to eh!??