Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Date 062708

I just had the band put in on Friday. Some of the things I read make me feel nervous and like this was stupid if nothing is going to work. It sounds very inconsistent.

I hope I did the right thing since I will be paying out of pocket. WOW, I don't know what else to say.

What are the things you have read that are making you nervous?

Most of us have gone through a phase doubting if we made the right decision. I can tell you now that I am 5 months out and have lost more than half of my weight that I have not regrets. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself, only a shame that I didn't do it sooner.

then I want to talk to you! Everyone else says they continue to go to taco bell etc. and I don't want to do that as I am sure they do not. I just need some encouragement. Congratulations to you! mbrocato@yahoo.com

When we make live changing choices I believe we have a right to be nervous. I was very hesitant for years about going through with the surgery.

I felt I had little choice I had developed diabetes and sleep apnea. My back was hurting so bad my knees were in bad shape and my BMI was approaching 50 and my blood pressure was beginning to rise.

I had surgery on 9/11/07 along with my wife and I can only say that it has turned out to be the best choices for my health that I could ever make.

I no longer use a cpap machine for sleep apnea or take medicine for diabetes and my blood pressure is normal and my joints do not hurt.

The lap band does take a lot of work and just remember that it is just a tool for success.

Best of luck on your journey.

then I want to talk to you! Everyone else says they continue to go to taco bell etc. and I don't want to do that as I am sure they do not. I just need some encouragement. Congratulations to you! mbrocato@yahoo.com

I think the one thing that has been made very clear to me is that you MUST view this as a tool only and not an absolute fix all. Taco Bell if it is only a couple of bites on occassion is likely okay. I just want to get to the point where I can lose all the weight, open the band up fully after I maintain it for a while and always have that safety net. That is what was most appealing to me.

I am on the LabBandTalk.com Blog as a Newbie myself.

I had my band put in last Monday(6/23/08) and just came from the doctor

after my first follow up appointment.

I am happy to say all is going well with my recovery and I am progressing on to soft foods this week--Yeah!

I want you to know that I went on to this site for the first time Saturday and I had about the same reaction as you. Oh my what did I do? SO many stories about things going wrong and people wanting to eat whatever,...

I was feeling like, "what is the point?"

But then I did see a few blogs that were more positive and I have written back and forth with a couple people who seem to be in that mode--more positive.

I also paid out of pocket and I want to see success.

I am willing to do what it takes to stay on track and be successful. That doesn't mean I will never eat anything that may be considered "bad" for me but I will really be thinking about and planning what I am putting in my mouth from now on. I think it all depends on the person and if you want it you can and will be successful. It is a tool to use to your advantage. If you are going to cheat it will be you who pays the price and paid the cash !!! I went on the Live Chat and a girl was talking about how she was going to have this HUGE meal tomorrow and cheese cake and on and on, and I was like WHY??? Don't do it!!! You spent the time and effort to have the band -use it!!!

I mentioned all this to my doctor today and he said "yeah those Blogs are great, but at times you find that the successful people aren't on them that much and you hear a lot of negatives!" So I am hoping that I can find a few people who want to be successful and stick with them. I plan to be slow and steady and hope for the best!

Don't let others pull you down.

Good Luck!

I am happy to say all is going well with my recovery and I am progressing on to soft foods this week--Yeah!

I want you to know that I went on to this site for the first time Saturday and I had about the same reaction as you. Oh my what did I do? SO many stories about things going wrong and people wanting to eat whatever,...

But then I did see a few blogs that were more positive and I have written back and forth with a couple people who seem to be in that mode--more positive.

I am willing to do what it takes to stay on track and be successful. That doesn't mean I will never eat anything that may be considered "bad" for me but I will really be thinking about and planning what I am putting in my mouth from now on. I think it all depends on the person and if you want it you can and will be successful. It is a tool to use to your advantage. If you are going to cheat it will be you who pays the price and paid the cash !!! I went on the Live Chat and a girl was talking about how she was going to have this HUGE meal tomorrow and cheese cake and on and on, and I was like WHY??? Don't do it!!! You spent the time and effort to have the band -use it!!!

I mentioned all this to my doctor today and he said "yeah those Blogs are great, but at times you find that the successful people aren't on them that much and you hear a lot of negatives!" So I am hoping that I can find a few people who want to be successful and stick with them. I plan to be slow and steady and hope for the best!

Good Luck!

you have said everything I was feeling. I was so disheartened when I read some of the posts that I just felt confused. Thanks for letting me know you are feeling the same things that I am. I would love to continue hearing about your progress. I am in Texas and I had my surgery in Louisiana.

Good Luck!

Just like any website that is open to the public, you are going to have people, with to much free time, that come into instant chat rooms and say things to make others mad or upset. You have to take what you hear inside all chat rooms, with a grain of salt. Don't assume that everyone in the room is "real". Look them up, and check the public profile, if they don't have one..they are most likely not true "bandsters"...Keep Smiling, it's going to be ok:teeth_smile:

Disney - You said it all, and so well!! There are plenty of success stories in here and I love reading those for motivation, and all the special helpful tips, and disregard the rest.

I'm a self pay in Houston, TX, was banded on 6/25, and am so VERY glad I made this decision and like you, am certainly not going to sabatoge the $15K that I spent! Heck, I sure wanted new cabinets and granite in my kitchen - but I think this lapband was the best decision I've made. (Even though I would kill for a bag of popcorn right now .... ha,ha!)

So let's try and keep some positive stuff cirulating and keep on encouraging each other!

Funny about your kitchen---I have my bedroom redecorating on hold at the moment! Priorities! And our air conditioner just decided to poop out ---Great timing! But, I do get to eat some applesauce and maybe some mac and cheese so life goes on! :)

What!? You get applesauce and mac and cheese already!!!??????

I'm changing doctors! (ha,ha - just kidding!)

Yeah, that is what my Doctor said this aftenoon(first follow up appointment). I can start trying soft mushy foods and next week more solids. I figure i will go slowly and just see how things work. They keep saying many things do depend on the person and how they react to foods. SO it seems like a little trial and error. Kind of scary and kind of exciting too!

My Doctor(Dr. Watkins) is in IL and OH, and Wash. DC.

I really like him and his whole office is great. Very nice, helpful and supportive group of people. Many of the staff have had bands and can tell you professionally and personally how things go.

Is anyone else going to take part in group meetings? My place has group meetings once a month. I will go to my first one in July. The doctor and nurses have said people who use the group support seem to do really well. So I figured why not!

Disney - You said it all, and so well!! There are plenty of success stories in here and I love reading those for motivation, and all the special helpful tips, and disregard the rest.

I'm a self pay in Houston, TX, was banded on 6/25, and am so VERY glad I made this decision and like you, am certainly not going to sabatoge the $15K that I spent! Heck, I sure wanted new cabinets and granite in my kitchen - but I think this lapband was the best decision I've made. (Even though I would kill for a bag of popcorn right now .... ha,ha!)

I am also in Texas! I guess there are people all over the country on the board! I sure have appreciated the positive talk. Last Friday seems a world a way now that I am on this side of the procedure. I really got all my bills in order to be able to pay for this and YESTERDAY my car insurance went up 100.00 for no reason and I got my first payment for the lap band and it is almost 75.00 more than I had budgeted for. I can do it but is so ironic the way things happen when you are trying so hard. I did very well and did not get upset about it. Seriously, what can I do but my best in both the lap band and my finances! Do you think when they say you can have creamed Soups that would mean it is ok to peel and boil sqaush and puree it? It is going down fine and I didn't put any fat in it so I hope it is ok............learning and praying!

I am sure if it goes down it is okay! I am moving into soft mushy foods this week and I tried some mashed potatoes yestrday--WHOO HOO!!! They were tastey!!! I had a cup and it filled me up from dinner time on throught he evening. I am trying to figure out soft mushy and healthier food choises--so far it seems many of the softer stuff is high carb stuff. I hear ya about the finances. I had surgery Monday and on Wednesday our air conditioning went out. There's ALWAYS something!

Hang in there!