Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Carol - way to go! I know you have to be excited. This is where is really starts to get addictive. You're going to do great on your 5k!

Kristen - Keep at it! You'll be ready!

Mac - You're awesome. I wish I could do what you do. I tried stationary bike the other day since I still can't run on the foot. It's KILLED my knees. I was surprised I can run but not bike with them. I can't imagine doing a triatholon. My hat's off to you lady!

OMG Mac. only doing 8 work outs a week...such a slacker...(rolling my eyes - lol) WTG on your tri!!! and good luck on the next one.

Suzanne - thanks for the encouragement.

Last nite, after my post i got some news about a friend that made me sad, (what happened really isnt important to share here) but b4 my first thought would have been to beat myself up or eat the saddness away. (and dont we former fattys know how we internalize everything to ourselves as the cause and as a result eat.) this time, i felt like i was really glad i had running as a release. and, if i hadnt just run id have gone out at 10:30 pm to do one.

For now, im putting the sad feelings on a shelf and will take them down when i go for my next run. its called compartmentalizing. When i run im hoping to say a prayer for my friend and get it out of my system that way. i think my friend would be proud of my decision to run it out. we all make good and difficult decisions, and even though my friend made a choice that made me sad for a while - i really learned from it that im much stronger than i was b4 my band and even till i started running. so...yay me.

my knees are giving me hell this morning from my 2.4 miles last nite. i may wait till saturday to run if they keep bugging me tomorrow. and uh oh last nite i remember coming home full of adreneline and sitting down to type out my post, and just now realized i didnt stretch much after the run.... that'll teach me. :rolleyes: i'll be in touch.

tc for now,

Carol

I tried stationary bike the other day since I still can't run on the foot. It's KILLED my knees. I was surprised I can run but not bike with them. I can't imagine doing a triatholon. My hat's off to you lady!

When your knees hurt after biking, it's a sign your bike isn't adjusted right. You not only have to get the seat height right, but also your position over the pedals.

When your knees hurt after biking, it's a sign your bike isn't adjusted right. You not only have to get the seat height right, but also your position over the pedals.

I tried adjusting the seat height and it helped a little, but not much. I have something going on with my left knee, it pops and cracks alot. On the bike, with each revolution, my knee cap would catch and grind, but not quite pop. Ouch, I didn't like it at all.

I also tried a recumbant bike, same problem. :)

Carol... CONGRATULATIONS!!! I knew you could run farther! 34 min is great! Sorry about your friend, but again, great NSV to use running as the way to deal with an issue!

MacMadam... you are so dedicated. Plus a full Olympic length Tri... that's a great goal!

Suzanne... I have the same problem. I can run without any knee problems, but riding a bike or climbing stairs kills me. I have arthritis in both knees, but my right is the worst. I literallly have to climb stairs with the left leading each step. Going down in bad too... I lead with the right then. When I'm running outside and I hit stairs, my momentum sometimes makes the stairs do-able, but not always. I haven't been on a bike in years, so don't know how I'd do. But an exercise bike is out of the question, so I assume that a bike is too. My guess is the strain on my ligaments and joints in the circular motion is too much with the arthritic damage done to my knees.

Ok, day 4 of my strength/cardio schedule, and all is well. I almost blew off the lower body workout last night, but pushed myself to do it. Glad I did.

On Tuesday I went out for a run... the plan was to go for just a short run, but I got into it so much that I did almost 6k. It felt great! I also broke my race record time for the 5k portion. When I got home, I had such a runner's high going all night! Oh Yeah!!!

well I did it! today i ran my first full mile without stopping-- and in 10 minutes! not fast by any means, but something i can be proud of! especially because after i pushed through the final lap, i felt like i could have kept running. i will get up to 5k without stopping in no time, hopefully! the last time i ran a mile without stopping was 8th grade.... and im pretty sure i was doing that at about 11 minutes/mile at my fastest.

Jane... WTG! a 10min mile would translate to a 5k in just over 30 min. This is fast! So don't sell yourself short! My DH has been running for many years and his avg 5k speed is between 28-32min... so your first mile is a very good start! Keep it up, you rock!

I have to admit, when Mac said her goal was 10 workouts a week and she was "only" at 8, I thought... OMG I'll never get to 8! Well... I'm at 5 with plans to do 2 today and 1 tomorrow... so I'll be at 8 this week if I do my plan! I can't believe it! Now, my strength training is no where near most plans, but its certainly stressing my muscles, as the ache alot!!! So Mac, you are my measure of success... so keep it up!

I did a 5k run last night. The weather was so beautiful, I just kept going. I went backwards on my normal route and found it was really hard. I had subconscously planned my route to have the hills at the start, so reversing it put them at the end... and against the wind! But I did it.

Today we're taking our DD (adopted) to visit with her birth siblings. She hasn't seen her brothers (2) in 2-1/2 years, but she has seen her birth sister a few times. Should be interesting. The boys have never met us or our son, so this could be a bit weird.

I've been running for almost 1 year now. I looked back at the beginning of this thread and I started on July 17th... Well, one year later, and about 300km ran, I finanlly purchased a decent pair of running shoes! LOL! I've been running in a very good pair of New Balance "Walking" shoes! Well last week I started to notice my foot turning in, then I was getting some straining on my inner ligaments, so thought it was time.

DH and I have a challenge with each other on Nike+ which I've called "To the Winner Goes the Spoils", where if I win I get a new pair of shoes and if he wins... I get a new pair of shoes! LOL. Well the challenge ends Monday, and we're very close, so today i went and got those shoes!

It was great. I went to our Running Room store and they checked out my gait, watched me run in my current shoes, made me try on about 6 different pairs and test them out, then I narrowed it down to two, so they had me run with one on each foot then reverse them to decide.

I just got back from my first run and they feel great. Much different then the old ones!

had a mixed weekend running-wise. last nite i tried to run. not sure what happened, but i couldnt do even 2 of the 3 laps. too much on my mind? too hot? whatever... so this morning, i i tried again. i did about a lap and a half, basically making up the difference. a little disappointed and trying to be philosophical about things, and see what i can learn from it. idk yet...

but one other cool thing. a bandster friend of mine has been asking me for advice on running. seems he's thinking of giving it a go. im encouraging him to come and see what we talk about, makes me feel like im an experienced runner. lol. ive been telling him to get fitted for good running shoes, as his budget allows. I told him to get good running socks, too since one of my friends here advised me to do the same. it seems to help me.

I hope he's successful and likes it. its a great way to feel successful in the health improvement departments of our journeys...

I think i'll try again tomorrow nite. after the sun is low in the sky and cooler, i hope. ttys running buddies.

tc

Carol

Carol... don't stress about your run this weekend. Our bodies sometimes don't respond the way we want. Put it behind you and don't worry about it. Great advice for your friend!

I had a huge running weekend. From Fri - Sun I ran about 20k total. My legs are sore, but I'm so proud!

20k - another slacker among us, Kathy? lol. NOT! Im very impressed.

For once im not stressing about my runs this past weekend. I really want to try again tonite. that'd make 3x in a row, but i know i need to do it later in the evening or even after it gets dark. gonna make a concerted effort to get more Fluid in just in case its that. also starting to take extra glucosamine/condroitin.

now, instead of waiting to run, im tryng tonite since im scheduled for a fill tomorrow and i always give myself that day off from running, just in case im a bit tender from the fill. i get a bit bruised sometimes, and dont want to push it on those days. if i waited to run that'd push me to wednesday or maybe thursday. i dont want to wait that long, so im gonna try for tonite.

my kids r home from a week of sleep away camp, so its back to the daily summer grind of work then picking them up from day camp then home, dinner, RUN, etc etc. Im making sure to schedule the runs. those are for ME. ttys, will post how i do.

tc

Carol

Kathy - Wow 20K, way to go! I'm envious. Glad to hear you got the shoes. They make a huge difference and help prevent injuries.

Carol - Sounds like you are really doing well. Keep up the good work. I was wondering, what kind of glucosamine/condroitin are you taking? The one's I have found are either huge, or I've found liquid kind, but it was carbinated! Grrrr! I was thinking about trying it to see if it would help my knees.

Jane - way to go! I'm still working up to a 10 min mile!

So I went to see the podiatrist on Friday. He is not happy with my progress. He said if the foot still hurts in two weeks I have to try physical therapy and if that doesn't help, he'll have to OPERATE AGAIN in 6 months! Oh dear, I don't want this!! That would RUIN running for me for a year! How does one recover from that? I'm already feel pudgy from not running for a month. I need to get better. Fingers crossed everyone!

Edited by SuzanneG

Suzanne, I take the huge ones and just suffer a bit till they disolve in my pouch...i have a liquid one but i hate it. its a very thick liquid that has an apricot flavor base. too sweet and mediciny. not sure it helps me much either. i got it at Vitamin Shoppe. ive taken the pills for a long time now but didnt think i should after my last fill, and i really missed taking them. was too achy without them. i just added the second dose that i should have been taking all along, but kept forgetting. making a better effort with all of the Vitamins and supplements even though i always take my multivite, etc at nite. i need to space them out more thru the day since im getting a fill tomorrow and will have even better restriction i hope. Let me know if you want me to find out the name of the liquid i have. it was not carbonated at all it just made me gag. lol

tc

carol

Slinky & Suzanne,

Have you heard of Supple? It's a liquid dose of the glucosamine & chondroitin. My father takes it daily, and he has for months now, and swears by it. I had a sample last time i visited and it wasnt bad. I also don't remember it being carbonated, as I dont drink anything carbonated, either. Here's the link to it if you wanted to check it out.

SUPPLE

Great work to all the runners!

thanks Tkl. already emiled them to find out something. i appreciate good leads.

tc,

carol