Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm keeping it quiet, but I'm a terrible liar!

Just read a few of the posts about keeping lap band surgery to myself. I have told my husband, parents, one coworker and one friend about my plans, and as far as I'm concerned nobody else needs to know. However, I need to book time off work for the surgery, and because I don't tend to take a lot of sick time it will be noticed by my coworkers and friends. So, what do I say? Especially if I'm in pain in the days after surgery, they will KNOW that something is amiss. I'm trying to think of something that I can tell them...for some of them "none of your business" or changing the subject will work, but for others I think I'm going to have to be somewhat more economical with the truth! For those of you who didn't tell every man and his dog about your surgery, what did you tell them instead when they asked?:grouphug:

Tell them you had to get a hernia fixed, from what I've read about others it involves the same kind of surgery/scars and the same kind of post op stuff as well

Just read a few of the posts about keeping lap band surgery to myself. I have told my husband, parents, one coworker and one friend about my plans, and as far as I'm concerned nobody else needs to know. However, I need to book time off work for the surgery, and because I don't tend to take a lot of sick time it will be noticed by my coworkers and friends. So, what do I say? Especially if I'm in pain in the days after surgery, they will KNOW that something is amiss. I'm trying to think of something that I can tell them...for some of them "none of your business" or changing the subject will work, but for others I think I'm going to have to be somewhat more economical with the truth! For those of you who didn't tell every man and his dog about your surgery, what did you tell them instead when they asked?:grouphug:

I haven't had surgery yet, but am also in your shoes where I don't want to tell everyone. Not because I'm ashamed of it, but because I think people will think I'm trying to take the easy way out and they don't know what the whole process is and too ignorant to look into it. I also will be taking time off work and am just going to tell them I had to have surgery and leave it at that. If they start asking questions, just say that you don't want to talk about it right now. I'm sure this isn't the best answer or the answer you were looking for, but most people will respect your privacy. If and when you decide to tell them, you can. But there's not really an easy way out of it. I work at a hospital and I have to take about 3 weeks off due to the heavy lifting that I do at work. It's difficult to decide what to do.

I was absent a week of annual leave (vacation time). When asked where I went on vacation, I simply told them I had things to do around the house. I was not in any pain upon returning to work but because of drinking liquids, mushy stages of course people were curious and did ask questions. I simply told them I had an upset stomach and left it at that. I am lucky because I don't have alot of people eating lunch at the time I do.

As I started loosing weight, when asked, I told them I had changed my eating habits (which of course is true). My thing is if people know you have had the surgery they watch every move and blame every little thing on the band "oh you look really pale today, think you might not have went with that surgery?" I just didn't want to hear it. As a matter of fact I didn't even tell my immediate supervisor, she is rather "mouthy" and would have told my business to everyone...just didn't want to go there.

My band is a private issue to me. When I scheduled surgery I took vacation time and like someone else said I simply said I did things around the house while I was off. If people comment about my eating I simply say I am trying a new way to lose some weight and leave it at that. GB is not easy for people to understand and I just don't want to explain it over and over. Even though I am almost giggy with hope for weight loss maintenance it's still a very personal thing for me.

I did tell my family a few people at church and some of my co-workers. I teach so it got around the school what I was doing. Most people are very supportive. A little confused because they think I had Gastric Bypass. So, I have to explain what lapband is and how I think I made the best choice for me.

But for those people who ask me how I am losing all the weight, my answer is always: "Smaller portions and excersise" Which is no lie :grouphug:

It is your choice who to tell and not to tell. Don't worry about it.

Good Luck

Edited by SugarBean

i said i needed to have laproscopic surgery - period -

if someone was bold enough to ask "what for?", my answer was - girl stuff -

i didn't want to tell anyone at work, not because i was embarrassed but because i didn't want people watching what i eat or wondering why it's not happening quicker.

as time goes by, i tell more people only because i'm tired of lying and having to lie on top of the original lie. for example... friday a group of us from work went out for Happy Hour. only one person knew about my surgery. i didn't drink which raised eyebrows lol and i was only able to eat (2) out of the (12) boneless chicken bites which also raised eyebrows. so, i ended up telling the people i was with so that next time i don't have to pay $8 for an appetizer i'm barely going to eat. they all said i can eat off their plate next time lol

I am having a hernia repair, and from what I've read, and been told a lot of people have them fixed during surgery. Most surgeons won't implant the band witout fixing it. Anyway, to answer your question. I'm telling people I'm having a hernia repaird. And the above answer is correct. Even the scars are the same, except with a hernia you have an extra one. Good luck!

By the way, gallbladder surgery is similar too

well I am also keeping mine a secret..a few people know but there is alot I dont want to know..however I am saying gullbladder..hopefully no one rememebers I had mine out a few yrs ago lol

If you feel you must lie about it I would go with hernia if you do still have your gallbladder/apendix cause you can get a hernia more then once!! :blink:

The girl stuff is a good answer also. lol

but if by some strange chance you end up needing your gallbladder or apendix out later on there will be no reason for people to suspect anything.

Had my apendix out in 2002 and the scars are identical to what a lapbander has from what ive seen.

Or just tell them you had a problem. Now its fixed and you really don't want to get into details.