Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conservative Family Doctor?

I have a very conservative family doctor. He very reluctantly put me on fentermine (sp?) a while back only because my fertility doctor had and I told him that I could get it from him, but I would have to drive further. As far as I know, the only weight loss solution he believes in is WeightWatchers. He even told my obese mother not to worry about her weight because she was genetically predisposed to being overweight.

Anyway...my insurance requires a referral before I can meet with any other doctors, so I have an appointment to see him this week to ask about the LapBand. I am afraid he will refuse to refer me. I really think that this may be the best solution for me. I've done WeightWatchers, the diet pills, and LA Weightloss. I can loose weight, but it is always a short term thing. I usually gain it back more quickly than I loose it. I am only 30 and have a BMI of 46.1.

I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience or has any advice they can share. I would really appreciate it.

Sorry...apparently I can't spell "lose."

I would go to the Lap Band website and print off a brocure to take to him if you don't already have one because he might not be familiar with LBS. Have an indepth outline of all of the diets you have tried, with the amount of time you've done them, how much you lost, etc. You might also do a Google search and get information about the hormone 'Grehlin' to show the doctor. I would then have a heart to heart with him and show him all of the info you have collected and explain why you think the surgery will help you.

Good luck!

Thanks...that sounds like good advice. One question, though...what is ghrenlin or whatever?

(Also, he knows all of my past diet history because he's been my doctor since I was a child.)

Grehlin is a hormone that overweight people have that makes them hungry and want to eat all the time. If you read an article about it you will understand it more.

IMO, I would still type up the info about you dieting history. With it staring him in the face it will help him to see things more clearly that having to thumb through your medical records. My thought is that it will also show that you've put a lot of thought into LBS.

Thanks again...I googled that and read a little bit, but I will read more. I think I will also type something up like you suggested. I appreciate you taking the time to respond with advice.

Sounds much like what I have been going through with my doctor, as my insurance won't pay for the inital surgical consult unless my primary doctor writes a refferal. She wouldn't even look at the printed out stuff I brought to her to try and *convince* her that the band would be a good thing for me.

She was just so totally dead set against ANY weight loss surgery at all. Or even perscribing anything to try and help. But she also offered no real substantial reasons why she was against it. All she would ever say is "Eat less excersise more." But she might have weiged 140lbs soaking wet so I suspect she had no clue what someone has experienced who has weight issues.

This is only one of the things though that forced me to find a new doctor. But I have to admit it was one of the biggest reasons, the other being she also refused to help in my treatment of sleep apnea, and also wouldn't approve a referal to a cardioligist despite having been seen by one in the ER for chest pain.

I spent almost a year trying to *convince* her. And finally decided it was a no win situation.

I would suggest doing a reasonable amount to try and educated your doctor, but If he/she doesn't seem to have a problem with his/her overweight patients then your probably asking to much, and might wanna try and find another doctor that shares your views.

While it is true that some people are genetically predisposed to being overweight, that doesn't mean they shouldnt do something to try and remedy it.

Personally I have a problem with the fact that If I had a doctor a year ago who was *willing, or actually cared* I could have already been banded and on my way on the journey instead of it being a year later and still struggling to get it started.

Boy can I relate. I had a doctor who told me to try yoga instead LOL 335 pound woman doing yoga. Guess what i found me a new doctor! That was back in November 2007. This new doctor had helped me thru all the processes and just got approved for surgery for July 1st. But my advice is go in there with your research and also make list of all those diets you failed at and have a heart to heart with the doc.

I'm really glad to know I won't be the only person facing this. I hope I can talk some sense into my doctor. My mother-in-law, who is very supportive and my best friend, told me to find another doctor if he won't reason with me. If he could give me a reasonable explanation as to why I shouldn't try this, then I'll listen. However, with the diet pills, he just said he didn't like them. That was his case. I guess I'll see what happens on Wednesday, and I'll repost with his response then.

Thanks for all the advice/encouragement.

I would look my doctor in the eye and ask "Weight Watchers? And how many people do you know that have lost a significant amount of weight on WW and kept it off long-term?" My guess is very few. (I know one person who has lost weight long-term and that was through Atkins - and this is obese long-term, not baby weight or other short term weight.) Diet and exercise has a 6-7% long-term success rate, WLS has a 50% success rate. If your doctor won't acknowledge this fact find another one. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Ignorance is not conservative - it's just ignorant. And a health care profession who thinks being obese is "natural" and acceptable isn't worth the paper his medical degree is printed on. Find a doctor who understands the true heartache of diets that fail and who is willing to use science (when did science become a bad thing?) to solve a medical problem. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Then when you are thin and gorgeous, and your mom's been through it too and is thin and gorgeous, you can visit the first doctor and let him know what you really think of his "ignorance." :biggrin2:

My PCP who I had been with for 7 years would not provide a referral, so I switch DR and had the lap band procedure done. Actually both my wife and I had surgery on the same day.

doedoe, I had to laugh at your post! I pictured in my head ME trying to do yoga!! I actually had some friends recommend it a few years ago, and I thought they were crazy!

Well, my appointment was today, and I was pleasantly surprised. My doctor said he thought I would be a "very good candidate" for the surgery. He asked about my insurance, wrote the script for the labs they will require and has a surgeon in mind. He said as soon as my labs come back he will schedule my consult. He thinks the only problem I will have getting my insurance to approve me would be if my thyroid is elevated (has been in the past). I may need to get that under better control with meds. I am SO relieved. I really thought he would be dead-set against it, but I guess I wasn't giving him enough credit. He has been my doctor since I was the obsese captain of my high school cheerleading squad, so he must truly understand my struggle. I go tomorrow morning for my labs! He's not waisting any time. YIPEE! :)

That's great...I hope it all works out. My WLS doctor had a great person in insurance who gave me great advice on how to help get approved. Maybe you will have luck with that too.