Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a new member to this website and am looking for information. I am 42 years old and weigh 200lbs. I have been on diets forever and can't ever seem to lose more than 25-30 lbs and then gain it all back.

I heard about the Lap Band and am trying to get enough courage to call my doctor. I am really concerned about what life is like after you get banded. Will I ever eat solid food again? I know dieting is hard when your trying to eat heathly and it's always easy to fall off the wagon. What happens after this surgery eating and preparing meal must be even more time consuming than dieting. That is what keeps holding me back. Are my worries unfounded?:biggrin:

Yes, your worries are not really accurate. You will be able to do everything you do now, just not as much. I was banded on April 21st and can say I can still eat everything I did pre op, just not as much, which is exactly what the band does - keeps your portions small.

Call your doctor - at least find out more about the procedure, etc. You owe yourself that much.

Good luck!

I would suggest reading everything you can, so you can make an informed decision. Obesityhelp.com describes all the different procedure, including Lapband, and there is a book called The Lapband Solution, and another called The Lapband Companion. Both books are available on Amazon.com and are full of information.

You don't give up real food forever. Check your insurance first and see if it is covered. Some insurances (mine is Blue Choice) require one 6 month or two 3 month documented dietary weight loss attempts before they will approve you. Mine did and I spent the 6 months going to support groups (you meet people at all stages of pre and post op--good place to learn) buying sampler packs of chewable Vitamins and Calcium (both are required after surgery, as well as B12), and reading online. I have been coming here since November. My insurance criteria for surgery is BMI 40 or more (you can calculate this on obesityhelp.com) and 100 pounds overweight, or BMI 35-39 with one or more co-morbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint arthritis, sleep apnea, reflux). My BMI was 37-38 and I have everything on the list except diabetes.

Most Bariatric groups require an informational seminar after which you have no obligation, but if you choose to have surgery the seminar is required as a first step. If you choose to continue, you will have a consultation with the surgeon, a psych evaluation, and once surgery is approved, a dietary consult on pre and post op food restrictions. I used the dietician for my 6 month diet as well.

Different doctors do different things with pre-op diets. Some want a few days, some a few weeks, some a specific diet product, they are all different. My surgeon, if he thinks you may have a fatty liver, will put you on a full liquid diet for two weeks prior to surgery to shrink the liver, and somewhat to jump start your weight loss. I was on it for 3 weeks (I caught a cold and my surgery was postponed a week--not enough time to go off and back on, so I stayed an extra week--lost 25 more pounds after losing 10 on my 6 month diet). After surgery most people do liquids for 2 weeks, then "mushies" or pureed foods for 2 weeks, then solid food. My liquid diet included Protein drinks, milk, juice(diluted 50% with water), fat/sugar free Jello, fa/sugar free popsicles, broths, cream Soups, tea, coffee. The pureed stage I had applesauce, refried Beans, instant mashed potatoes, creamy egg or tuna salad, anything the consistency of apple sauce. Solid foods are a bit trial and error. Some foods will agree with you, others may not. For me bread gets too chewy and sits like a lump, but I can eat croutons on a salad. pizza (I love pizza) dough doesn't agree so much, so I invented a crustless pizza (sauce, turkey pepperoni, peppers, onions, fat free Kraft mozarella in a microwavable disk; heat for a couple minutes and you have the toppings without the dough). I did the same with meatballs (turkey meatballs, spaghetti sauce, parmesan cheese,heat in microwave--either meatball sub without the roll or spaghetti without the noodles). They told us not to have rice and Pasta for a while, but I don't think it is forever. I checked with the dietician and then went to a church spaghetti dinner. I cut up my spaghetti and meatballs like you would for a kid, ate the salad, passed on the roll and dessert. And for drinking, you wait about a half hour to eat after drinking, do not drink with meals, and wait 45 minutes to an hour after a meal to drink. So yes, the way you eat will change, and some of the things you eat will change. The amount of whatever you eat will definitely change, but it is worth it. I have lost an additional 35 lbs since surgery and gone down two clothing sizes for work (I wear scrubs--down from 2x to large). I am hoping also to reduce or eliminate some of the meds I am on.

Sorry to run on but there is a lot to know. Check your insurance, talk to your PCP, go to the seminar and support groups, and then decide if this is the way you want to go.

I had the same fears, but did a lot of research. I don't have the time or energy to worry about dieting. Thats been my problem with other diets. I would loose but would soon grow tired of dieting and counting and would go off the wagon and regain all plus some.

My husband was so afraid that we wouldn't be able to have a normal life afterwards. He was afraid that we couldnt even go out to dinner anymore. Boy was he wrong. We still have the same life but now I don't outeat him. I bring half of my food home--this makes me feel so good.

I was banded 02/28/08 and have lost 41 lbs. just eating things I have always eaten just much less of it. I hadn't even began to exercise until this week (treadmill).

good luck with your decision.

I would suggest reading everything you can, so you can make an informed decision. Obesityhelp.com describes all the different procedure, including Lapband, and there is a book called The Lapband Solution, and another called The Lapband Companion. Both books are available on Amazon.com and are full of information.

You don't give up real food forever. Check your insurance first and see if it is covered. Some insurances (mine is Blue Choice) require one 6 month or two 3 month documented dietary weight loss attempts before they will approve you. Mine did and I spent the 6 months going to support groups (you meet people at all stages of pre and post op--good place to learn) buying sampler packs of chewable Vitamins and Calcium (both are required after surgery, as well as B12), and reading online. I have been coming here since November. My insurance criteria for surgery is BMI 40 or more (you can calculate this on obesityhelp.com) and 100 pounds overweight, or BMI 35-39 with one or more co-morbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint arthritis, sleep apnea, reflux). My BMI was 37-38 and I have everything on the list except diabetes.

Most Bariatric groups require an informational seminar after which you have no obligation, but if you choose to have surgery the seminar is required as a first step. If you choose to continue, you will have a consultation with the surgeon, a psych evaluation, and once surgery is approved, a dietary consult on pre and post op food restrictions. I used the dietician for my 6 month diet as well.

Different doctors do different things with pre-op diets. Some want a few days, some a few weeks, some a specific diet product, they are all different. My surgeon, if he thinks you may have a fatty liver, will put you on a full liquid diet for two weeks prior to surgery to shrink the liver, and somewhat to jump start your weight loss. I was on it for 3 weeks (I caught a cold and my surgery was postponed a week--not enough time to go off and back on, so I stayed an extra week--lost 25 more pounds after losing 10 on my 6 month diet). After surgery most people do liquids for 2 weeks, then "mushies" or pureed foods for 2 weeks, then solid food. My liquid diet included Protein drinks, milk, juice(diluted 50% with water), fat/sugar free Jello, fa/sugar free popsicles, broths, cream Soups, tea, coffee. The pureed stage I had applesauce, refried Beans, instant mashed potatoes, creamy egg or tuna salad, anything the consistency of apple sauce. Solid foods are a bit trial and error. Some foods will agree with you, others may not. For me bread gets too chewy and sits like a lump, but I can eat croutons on a salad. pizza (I love pizza) dough doesn't agree so much, so I invented a crustless pizza (sauce, turkey pepperoni, peppers, onions, fat free Kraft mozarella in a microwavable disk; heat for a couple minutes and you have the toppings without the dough). I did the same with meatballs (turkey meatballs, spaghetti sauce, parmesan cheese,heat in microwave--either meatball sub without the roll or spaghetti without the noodles). They told us not to have rice and Pasta for a while, but I don't think it is forever. I checked with the dietician and then went to a church spaghetti dinner. I cut up my spaghetti and meatballs like you would for a kid, ate the salad, passed on the roll and dessert. And for drinking, you wait about a half hour to eat after drinking, do not drink with meals, and wait 45 minutes to an hour after a meal to drink. So yes, the way you eat will change, and some of the things you eat will change. The amount of whatever you eat will definitely change, but it is worth it. I have lost an additional 35 lbs since surgery and gone down two clothing sizes for work (I wear scrubs--down from 2x to large). I am hoping also to reduce or eliminate some of the meds I am on.

Sorry to run on but there is a lot to know. Check your insurance, talk to your PCP, go to the seminar and support groups, and then decide if this is the way you want to go.

Hi I am in the uk and have been referred by my GP to the NHS for banding. I have BMI of 35, high blood pressure and high cholestrol. Was just reading your post and notice it also includes refulx in the criteria is that correct? I thought it might have prevented me from having the surgery done as I suffer from that at times as well and take tablets daily. The whole idea of banding for me is to be healthier and reduce the problems I already have and also prevent getting any more. Your reply to another user was very informative hence I picked you to question further, I hope you dont mind...

Hello and welcome to LBT :biggrin:

While reading this I am actually sitting here eating lunch at my desk from work. Yesterday I had my band filled with 2cc's so I am on liquids till about 4pm today so I am just having chicken broth for lunch... Otherwise I eat a normal meal like everyone else just about 1/4 of what they do. When I cook at home I eat the same thing my husband and my kids are eating. If they have burgers for dinner I take 1/2 of one (not able to eat it all tho)

I guess my point is you have lifestyle changes that you will have to make but there shouldn't be a huge impact on the foods you can eat other than the quantities. You definetly wont be eating puree for life :lol:

Hi thanks for your reply, not sur how to work these forum thingy's new to it all so bare with me if I am not doing something correct. I think the banding sounds such a good alternative for me as I tend to eat large portions and from what you say it will suit me to the ground. Have only told three close friends and my son that I have been referred. My son is not too keen on me having it done. Two of my friends are supporting me and telling me to be positive but the third seems not so happy she keeps telling me not to get my hopes up as the NHS my refuse, I find this hard as I am trying to think positive thoughts. My GP's secretary had a good chat with me and she said she can "add" things into my referral letter if he has missed things out and I feel she knows the real reasons I want to do this. I have to say the thought of surgery is daunting I think something may go wrong and I get blood clot or something but the desire to be healthier is out weighing the fears just now, if I keep on increasing in weight my health will suffer so its a catch 22 situation. I know what I want and I wont stop till the NHS carry me off to the asylum. I am like a dog with a bone lol..