Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Banders Unite

Louise,

The FDA recommendations (for me, at least - I used an online calculator to look it up) is upward of 300g of carbs per day.

Atkins is flexible - the plan puts you on a very SEVERE regimine for 2 weeks - 20g a day - and then after that you increase slowly until you figure out your "maintenance" level (that level where you no longer are losing) and then you back off from there. So that's one way.

I have found that I do well (and it's not too hard) to operate at about 100g a day. That is still significantly reduced from the FDA guildelines, but it's not so restrictive as to be difficult to follow. I still have enough leeway so that I don't have to work hard to hit that level. For example, last night I had potatoes with my dinner and I had fruit at lunch.

I would suggest starting by tracking what you're eating now - see what your run-rate of carb intake is. Once you're there, set yourself some goals. I mean, if you're a big carb eater, you might want to start by weaning. Say you take in 400 a day - maybe start off cutting down to 200. That's STILL more than 33% less than the FDA recommends, so it IS carb restricted. See how you feel, how well it fits into your eating style, and then go from there.

Some people start by just cutting out white foods: sugar, flour, rice, potatoes. I'm not strictly cutting out anything, but I have my sugar in the form of fructose (fruit) and I have my potatoes and I even occasionally have rice and/or bread.< /p>

I had my band done at a teaching hospital that required a 20% weight loss before they would put the band in (along with a bunch of other requirements). They use a low carb diet for post-op so I used it for pre-op too. Linda has already pointed out that Atkins is flexible. I agree that it's important to find your comfort zone with it. The FDA has been slowly lowering the daily carb limits as more and more research emerges on health benefits and weight loss success of lower levels of carbs. Once you are on the band - you will find that it's much easier to stick to a lower carb plan. You will also see your health indicators get much better.

Edited by Desdemona

Any vegetarian low-carbers out there? I'd love the hear what you eat! I am meat-free and wheat-free, and can't tolerate whey (cheese is fine, just no Protein Shakes or bars) . . . eggs, lentils, black Beans, tofu and edamame are my staples and they're getting pretty darned boring!!!

Hi, everyone! I have been low-carbing it since I was banded on May 7, 2009. Years ago I tried Atkins and South Beach, with very limited success, but this time I took my own approach. I don't count how many carbs I take in, but I do limit them considerably!

After two consultations with my surgeon and a few sessions with a therapist, I realized that I was *truly* addicted to sugar, just like an alcoholic is addicted to alcohol. During the time between my first consultation and my surgery, I made the very difficult decision to completely give up sugar and all white carbs (bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes). It's been going good so far, and the longer I go without those items, the easier it is.

I guess you would say my diet is closer to South Beach. My foods include: unjury Protein shakes in the morning (when my band is usually tight); fat-free Greek yogurt (really high in protein); lentil Soup or black bean Soup with low-fat cheese melted in; refried Beans topped with low-fat cheese, fat-free salsa, low-fat sour cream (eat with whole wheat baked pita chips or just with a spoon!); hummus & tahini with fresh veggies and sometimes a few All Bran Multigrain crackers or pita chips; low-carb "sandwich": any deli meat, cheese, Condiments, etc., between two slices of low-fat swiss cheese (the swiss allows you to hold it without getting your hands wet or sticky :thumbup:); Breakstone's 2% high-fiber cottage cheese mixed with 1 small container of pre-made sugar-free Jell-o (don't knock it till you try it -- got the idea from someone else on this board! :thumbup:); scrambled eggs with cheese; and if I'm out at a fast food restaurant, I choose a salad with grilled chicken on top, or I get a cheeseburger with all the toppings, take off the Buns, use a fork and knife, and cut it all up into "cheeseburger salad." :thumbup:

I have a question for you all: Has anyone found a good whole wheat/whole grain low-carb bread? :mad2: I was shocked to see to sugar content in most whole wheat breads!

TIA! :)

PS - A big hello to Minxz and LindaD, my fellow mayo Banditos! :thumbup:

I've restarted low carb this week and its going really well. Anyone else sticking with Low carb high Protein?

Yes -- high protein/low carb makes me feel better. I'm early out (banded 3 weeks ago) but have lost 50 pounds since mid-August eating poultry, beef, fish, seafood, Beans and lentils. I also eat a lot of dairy (cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt) and a wide variety of green vegetables and cauliflower. I stay away from grains, but will have a bit (couple of tablespoons at the most) of quinoa and will have a small portion of Dreamfields Pasta now and then and the occaisional low carb tortilla. I will sometimes make a sugar free dessert with splenda, Carbquik, cream cheese, etc. and I do put a splash of cream in my Decaf coffee. I also like to use ground flax seed to add more Fiber.

I go for my first fill next week, but have a doctor who believes in small, frequent fills and believes in being able to eat regular, solid food, not liquids/purees. I was only on Clear Liquids for day before, day of and day after surgery; full liquids for the next 4 days; mushies for the next 10 days and then on to solids.

I eat around a cup of food and am satisfied for around 4 hours (sometimes only around 3 1/2 and sometimes 5 hours depending on what I ate). I also usually have a small Protein snack (string cheese, carbmaster yogurt or a hard boiled egg) in the afternoon since we eat supper late. I usually drink at least 80 oz. of Water a day as well as a cup of tea and/or cup of coffee.< /p>

I plan to continue to eat this way until I lose the majority of my weight but eventually plan to eat a wider variety of foods, just in smaller portions, especially when I'm in situations when it's hard to control what I eat (business trips/parties) and when I want to splurge.

I am still doing low-carb. Not EXTREME Atkins-induction low-carb. If my daily carb intake is 100, I'm happy. That's where I like it. If it goes up to 150, that's still OK - but no more than that.

In my new reality, I can do a lot with 150g of carb a day. Most days I'm at 100. I don't worry about or count fat grams and thus it's pretty easy to get my Protein in. :w00t:

I'm still doing low carb also. The carbs I do get are good carbs from Beans, lentils, a few fruits, dairy, etc. So I guess my diet is more like South Beach. I don't do bread unless it is a slice of Ezekiel bread; I occasionally will have a small bit of whole wheat pasta; and I sometimes will have a little brown rice. Other than that, I take in no refined white sugar and no white carbs. It has done wonders for me! :thumbup:

I recently saw on Dr. Oz (and have started making this)- spaghetti made from spaghetti squash. I boil the large squash for about 30 minutes. Cut open, remove seeds (there aren't too many), then use a fork to "string" the squash.

I prepare spaghetti sauce using store bought sauce, with ground soy (like ground beef). I prefer Morning Star Crumbles, but there are other types too.

In essence, it's a vegan meal that's healthy and band friendly. I love it! Husband really likes it too. This time of year it's easy to find spaghetti squash (looks kind of like a smaller, yellow watermelon).

I started this past sunday. weight is 228 lost 1 1/2 lb. as of today (tuesday). eating meat oreggs with cheese am, snack nuts either peanuts or cashews, lunch 2 deviled eggs, late snack 1 cup tuna, tonite supper will be meat, salad. i started out at 304 got down to 218 gained over last 6 months. all my fault eating junk foods, sliders, etc. oh i drink prob. 3 or 4 cups (large) coffee at am, drinking about 30 oz Water. had 1 cup of V8 with tuna. i was having prob 500-750 carbs a day with the junk. now i think it is prob. 50 to 75. i am going to adjust daily until it get it down to 35 to 40 until i get down to 199, then stay at 75-100 a day.

weight.png

Hi all -I just started a pre-pre-op diet and I am doing a version of south beach and Atkins. I say that because I am allowing myself some of the cheese and creams of atkins but still cutting down on the higher fat meats & such. I will also have a bit of fruit when I crave it (no more than 3-4 times a week). I will not be testing for ketones and will not limit myself to 20grams of protien for an induction phase. We will see how that goes. I find a lot of great recipes on Linda's Low carb website. I tweak them if needed. :smile2:

Hi all -I just started a pre-pre-op diet and I am doing a version of south beach and Atkins. I say that because I am allowing myself some of the cheese and creams of atkins but still cutting down on the higher fat meats & such. I will also have a bit of fruit when I crave it (no more than 3-4 times a week). I will not be testing for ketones and will not limit myself to 20grams of protien for an induction phase. We will see how that goes. I find a lot of great recipes on Linda's Low carb website. I tweak them if needed. ;)

I sorta do my own combination also. I remember hearing once, "Lose it how you will live it." It is so important that we are able to live with the changes we are making! :smile:

Right now I am having really bad cravings for chocolate -- real chocolate that I can sink my teeth into -- but it's just not worth it to me. And my tummy can't handle all the sugar alcohols in the sugar free kind. I know, this too shall pass! :(

Hope everyone had a great weekend, we were iced in all wknd from the weather here in georgia. Today's Menu is:

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, with 1 slice of hot cheese, lots of coffee with sugar free hazelnut Creamer

lunch - 1 cup peanuts with ingles brand sugar free tea

supper - linda's el darado casserole (1 cup) and 1/2 cup sweet peas and sugar free tea

Go back to work tomorrow, hate the cold here. Hope you all will post with me daily.

**Bought the pee sticks, and i am 1/2 way on being in ketose.:blush:

I have been watching weather in Georgia on the TV. I'm in MA and I have been very concerned about you down there w/your weather over the past few years. We are used to it up here and we have the equipment to deal w/it but it's gotta be very hard on people there. My best regards to you.

I was BAD over the holidays. I think I gained a few lbs but I climbed back on the wagon toward the end of Dec with my good ole low carb plan and I'm happy to say I losing again.

I keep forgetting how helpful it is for me to check-in on this board every day. It really does help to keep me focused.

Happy New Year to all of you. Let's be careful out there!!!