Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Banders Unite

I do not agree with your dr. The band is meant to work with hard Protein. You sound too tight to me. If I were you, I would get a slight unfill.

Even having the smallest amount of saline taken out can make a huge difference. It is NOT normal to be able to eat a minimal amount of real food!

Thank you for that reply...I agree...I do not feel healthy when I'm dropping weight from not eating. It makes me feel like I'm going to put it right back on. Plus when I work out I get very tired and light headed. I really don't want them to take any Fluid out, because its like a very fine line between too much and not enough for me. Did I mention how much I hate shakes? I JUST WANT A FREAKIN HAMBURGER!!!

That's why I said you need a slight unfill. you're right, it is a very fine line between too much and too little. Right now, you're at too much. If you weren't you would be able to eat solid Protein. You can't believe how much of a difference have a slight amount taken out will do. I am talking like .25. Believe me, I have been through this!

Well, after a eating spree of carbs for about 6 months now and 25 pounds heavier, I am ready to step up to the plate(a small one with low carb food). I really am suprised how 1 cookie or a bowl of ice cream has had so much power over me. I was doing so well, feeling so good and I fell hard. I don't want my knees to start hurting again. I don't want to eye every chair in the room or on a patio and wonder if it will hold my butt. I am ready to re-commit. It has been 1 week now and the sugar detox is complete. Was it easy? Nope! I have great restriction with my band. A little bit of Protein some veggies and I am full. But my head really wants something easy and carby to eat. It's so hard to turn off that voice. Well, here is the hope that another low carb week is in store for me, that I have control and this next week will lead me into the next and pretty soon a month will go by and then another month. But one day at a time. Sorry for rambling but I need to get back to basics and be accountable for the life I want to lead and I think it starts here with honesty. Thanks for listening. cc:smile2:

How about we post what we eat daily? See what other lo-carbers are having. Share some good ideas to keep it fresh.

I have a hard time eating in the mornings, but find I can eat a scrambled egg with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.

I do well with salads too.

Steak is an iffy food for me, I do well with chicken, but love the taste of a good steak more!

I would like to know what other foods folks are eating.

Thanks.

ccm-- I have also really found out the hard way that carbs not only mess up my weight loss but anything more than 20 or 25 grams a day will cause me to crave more and more. I'm also finding that after losing 2/3s of the weight I need to lose -- I'm just not going to lose anymore (even on low carb) unless I exercise. I find that exercising (which is NOT my favorite thing in the world to do) does a lot to motivate me to eat well. It's still a struggle for me. I have lapses -- so I was happy to see your post. I'll follow this thread for a while to see if we can join forces on our Quest.

Personally, I have found that having some nut or cheese Snacks and working in a few cups of tea do a lot to help with carb cravings during the day and eve. If things get very bad in the eve -- I'll make an avocado guacamole dip (with tomatoes in it) and have it with Pork rinds. sugar free pops have 4 carbs. If I don't go crazy with those -- they are a nice cold treat. Right now I'm headed out to dinner. A local restaurant is serving a roast beef dinner and I'll be able to ask for 2 low carb veggies and a salad. I'll have it rare which I enjoy. It will be enough for me to bring home and get 2 more meals out of it. I love steak too. If I do very high quality steak (tender) it goes down well. A steak salad with gorgonzola cheese really hits the spot. I don't feel deprived at all.

Edited by Desdemona

:thumbup:I too have to start excersising. I know it works. I have just started an new job that I will be sitting behind a desk in a little tiny office. Not much room for movement there. On the other hand no more shift work and I think I can start to plan my activities a bit better now. I find if I just wing it things don't work so well and bad food choices happen. One thing low carb I like is berries with whipping cream, but lately I think I like it a little too much. My evil head hunger voice says "go ahead it's low carb". Portion Control with the cream is hard, especially when you lick the beaters and the spoon, then a generous dolop on top of the berries. I think for now I will banish whipping cream from the house just like ice cream, potato chips and fast food. It's funny I heard my youngest (while they were planning their nite out)say to his buddy if we go and get burgers lets eat them at your house, my mom will give us a sermon on the evils of fast food. This is the same child who ate 2 double cheese burgers that night and came home sick and felt that he got food poison. He has now sworn off all fast food. What can I say Mommy is always right! Well, I off now to go for a walk with hubby and we have our low carb cheese and turkey Snacks in my pack and off to the park we go.

Hope everyone is having a good day.If not there is always tommorow.

cc:smile:

Well, I am convinced that low carb is the way to go. I'm just 4 weeks out and I'm waiting to get my first fill. Any suggestions as to where I should start to look at a sample menu? Also, how long does it usually take before ketosis is reached? Can anyone help this newbe?

If you are doing 20 g or less of carbs a day it should take 2-3 days (on average)

I am planning on switching to low carb in a couple weeks. I just want to finish running through these left over Nutrisystem meals lol

Well, I am convinced that low carb is the way to go. I'm just 4 weeks out and I'm waiting to get my first fill. Any suggestions as to where I should start to look at a sample menu? Also, how long does it usually take before ketosis is reached? Can anyone help this newbe?

Here are a cpl of sites you can take a look at....also I HIGHLY recommed South Beach!!

Lapband.com - Healthy recipes to Support Your LAP-BAND® Journey

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

If you've already made it thru your liquid diet you should be good to go, the worst part of low carb is the detox at the begining.....after that it's not bad at all.

Good Luck on the journey!!

Hi all,

I'm new here and I started South Beach 2 days ago. So far, so good. I'm hoping to curb my sugar cravings in a big way. I'm not counting carbs or calories, but I'm eating everything sugar-free and as low fat as possible. I haven't been able to get my weight to budge for almost 8 weeks, so I hope this will be the kick in the pants it needs to get going down again.

Banded Aug. 2008

testing out ticker

Hello Bonnie,

I am trying to get my ticker to work to. I'm not doing something right because it keeps saying invalid file. Looks like yours is working. Can you tell me how you got it to work? Which code did you use? Did you only use a portion of the code?

AND if 10lb weight loss per month is a result of Low Carb-count me IN!!!!! I think I went into ketosis during my pre-op diet because I was loosing almost a pound a day right there on the last. I lost about 19 pounds during my pre-op diet...:w00t:

Thanks All

Shena

Wow that link to Linda's Low carb menus is great TY

Linda's recipes are lifesavers for me, especially the White Castle Hamburger Pie. My whole family eats low-carb, so I have to make sure that the stuff tastes good, or three males would be on a dietary strike.

I'm hoping that this is a safe place to be a low-carb bandster without being attacked by aggressive and uneducated people who love to tear down the research supporting the LC lifestyle with such logical responses as "it's stupid"?

Got my test results back yesterday: Fasting blood sugar 78, triglycerides 77, and HDL 85. I'm thinking that low-carb is the way to go for me.

I'm a believer in low-carb... moreso these days than ever before. I first read Atkins in 2000 and had a lot of success with it, but the controversy (is it unhealthy yadda yadda) got me down, plus I was just not fully embracing it - still worried and watching fats, etc.

I have since embraced it fully. I read Gary Taubes book and now I'm reading _In Defense of Food_ and more and more, I believe it.

When I say I'm low carb, some people scoff because I don't do any sort of 20g a day thing (like Atkins induction phase). I try to stay around 100g a day. It's enough to allow me to have stuff, while still being limited enough to support my weight loss.

You want to know what I eat? Since some are asking...

I have a cup of pistachios most days for Breakfast (1 cup in-shell). I also like cashews and eat those here and there. For lunch at work... I have the Del Monte fruit Naturals ruby red grapefruit cups. I also keep a jar of olives stuffed with garlic and cheese (in oil) in my work fridge.

I usually have whatever the family is having for dinner. Tonight I had a Pasta dish with a cajun cream sauce and scallops and langostinos with asparagus on the side. I didn't have much Pasta, but I had some.

I eat eggs. I like scrambled eggs with diced ham. Or just scrambled eggs with hot sauce! I love Trader Joe's buffalo mozzerella, marinaded with spices and such. Since my banding, I'm not yet quite ready for steak (I've had issues both time I've tried), but I keep some fully-cooked sausage links in the fridge and I'll have 2 or 3 of those for a meal.

I love deviled eggs so I make those occasionally.

I love berries and cream (with a little Splenda) and so we have that sometimes for Breakfast (plan to have it tomorrow, in fact!).

Edamame - I eat a lot of that. Trader Joe's has ready-to-eat edamame that is really yummy... I just add some sea-salt.

Avocados - I probably have an avocado for lunch a few times a week. Just shell it, cut it up into bite sized pieces, salt it and eat. It's divine. I also make homemade guacamole and it's to die for.

I have a panini maker at home and I make quesadillas. Like I said, I'm not a die-hard low-carber so a tortilla isn't a big deal to me. I put whatever I want on there - refried Beans, guacamole, chicken, cheese, sour cream.

Those are my staples, at least the ones that come to mind. I use butter and olive oil in cooking. I use real cream.

Oh - a really good "treat" for a low-carber... I will occasionally have a diet rootbeer with about an ounce or so of heavy cream mixed in. Tastes like a rootbeer float.

But I eat other stuff too that isn't low carb. I track all my food and I typically hit about 100 grams a day of carbs. On a "splurge" day, it might be 200, but that's a LOT and it doesn't happen too often anymore (given that I eat a lot less overall).

Edited by LindaD