Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight and Exercise equiptment.

How is someone my weight supposed to buy exercise equipment?

Does anyone here have stuff that has a weight limit of 250 or 300 and still use it and it works fine..if you weight more?

I weigh 407 and the only treadmills I can find goto 250 lbs

please help :)

I do not have an answer to your question....but I do have a quick story about weight limits. At my place of work I got written up for standing on a chair to hang something up instead of using a ladder. The letter stated the saftey of the ladder...lalalalalala....anyway I took great pleasure in asking my employer to buy us different ladders because the one they gave me to use had a weight limit of 225 and I weighed 265. Needless to say I can stand on whatever I want.....

lol. I stood on a chair about a month ago to change a lightbulb and the seat of it collapsed and I went KABOOM to the floor.

Does anyone here have stuff that has a weight limit of 250 or 300 and still use it and it works fine..if you weight more?

please help :drool:

I didn't know of the weight limit either when I purchased one from Sears. Paid for delivery and had it at home for a week; then realized the lb. limit. Went back to Sears and asked for a model with a higher weight limit --- which is more for the size/power of the motor. They had it. Switched it out with no issue.

So look at Sears... I don't remember the cost, but maybe $200 more.... oh, and it had a built in fan.... which is essential for me when I get going...

I am 370 and have been using my eliptical for the past 18 months with no issues. I bought it used from a co-worker who weights 300+ and he used it for 6 months before I got it. I use it 20 minutes every morning and another 30 minutes every second evening @ 45-60RPM. You would think that withthe ammount of time I spend on the thing I would know it's name brand.... but I don't... Will find out tonight.

i got a treadmill and noticed the weight limit was 250 i took it back couldnt find any higher than 300 and the ones that were 250-275 were a loooooooooooot more expensive

I used to belong to a "Health club" and I fried several of their treadmills before I quit and bought my own equipment for home.

Now I have my eliptical and a squat rack with several bars and 950lbs of plates (I compete in Highland games and powerlifting) a bench and assorted kettlebells, medicine balls. chains, bands. I can do my thing and not have people staring at me and when I sweat on the bench it is not a big deal. The entire set up cost less than 6 months membership at my old club. After the surgery it will be the second best investment of my life.

good deal :smile2:

Yes I have asked this same question many times. lol you can get reconditoned stuff online if you got $2000+ to spend.

you know you keep hearing all the time how the obese the populations in the world are getting but you can't find excersize equipment easily for anyone over 250lbs.

I wan't a treadmill, doubt I will ever find one though till I can shed 100= lbs though. Ocasionally I check out the local excersize place that sells reconditoned stuff but they rarely get in the really good machines with the higher weight limits.

I'm gonna get me one of these at least & see how it works InStride Cycle XL | Stamina | Walgreens they have a lighterweight version for only 30$ too.

please help :confused_smile:

When i was my heaviest I just started walking everyday... I went walking at the park district and I went around the track for like 8-12x and i did this 5-days a week and the weight came off from every part of my body... so i would suggest walking... at a brisk rate... U know the pace where u can still hold a conversation but u are still ok... not crusing....

When I first got started and was 380 I did not use much equipment. I relied on things such as Walk Away the Pounds DVD, medicine balls, hand weights and good old walking. My main concern was simply keeping my heart rate increased for 30 minutes and I did not start at 30 minutes.

Please do not feel that you have to be doing everything right away, ease yourself into it.

I guess only slim people should work out! When I bought my treadmill I was probably around 230 and there was a weight limit of 250 so no one else in the family who is over 250 will use it which sucks. My husband picked it out so I don't know why he didn't check! Since I'm closer to 250 now I can feel the strain on the treadmill (poor baby) but I have had it for a few years. The first treadmill we got rid of but I had to replace the board that was under the belt at least twice. What about a recumbent bike? Do you like those? I don't like bikes myself and tend to screw up my hips on them but didn't know if you've tried them before and liked them, you're much younger!! brandyII.:confused_smile:

MY FIL has a treadmill and and a old excersise bike I have seriously considered talking my SIL out of. She bought mom & dads house when they got put into a nursing home and got all their furniture etc. I know the treadmil is wal-mart type purchased one that probably cant support me (mostly plastic no motor etc) but it could my work fine for BF or kids.

The excersise bike is anchient and probably needs a good overhaul. My trouble is I can sort of use it but the seat is HORRID. Its older so its a good solid metal frame.

Anyone got any suggestions for seats? I haven't seen a bike seat yet I can handle. And If I kenw someone who could weld we could custom rig one but alas My BIL is a decenet wwoodworker but knows squat about metal. lol

I guess only slim people should work out!

LOL thats what it seems like. The professional equipment in gyms are usually 400+ rated cause they get so much heavy use. But your talking 2500 for a reconditioned one at least and they keep going up from there to around 7000$

It is amazing at how slow the consumer needs get met.. Weve been hearing in the news etc now for what. 5+ years how the world is becoming obese. So why the heck is everything so ANTI fat? You would think someone besides the pharmacutical companys would be adapting products. But they aren't. Or if they do there so incredibly expensive.

What about a recumbent bike? Do you like those? I don't like bikes myself and tend to screw up my hips on them but didn't know if you've tried them before and liked them, you're much younger!! brandyII.:smile:

I priced recumbent bikes for outdoor riding, again there rather exensive. But there a person here in town that sells used 3 wheel bikes. They have like a toolbox between the 2 back wheels. Keep meaning to see what he wants for them. But I know I can't use the seats on em.