Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why NOT To Go With "Why Go Abroad/The Hospital Group!!My personal Experiences....

Sorry - I posted this twice - once in the wrong forum!:confused2:

Hi Guys. Im new here today. I had a band with WGA on 11th April. I have just submitted my formal complaint to the healthcare commission - here's a copy of my letter. Should any be considering using this company - I would strongly advise against it....:cursing:

Dear Sirs,

Re: Complaint/WGA GASTRIC BAND FRIDAY 11TH APRIL

I am writing to inform you of my complete disappointment with the overall level of service I have recently received from The Hospital Group under their Why Go Abroad Company regarding a gastric band procedure.

I visited the offices of The Hospital Group in Manchester earlier this year to discuss having a Gastric Band fitted. The consultation went ok and the staff were very helpful and friendly. I was provided with all the information regarding the two different packages I could choose from, the first being with The Hospital Group, and costing £8000, which included a year’s worth of aftercare and band fills

The second package was the ‘Why Go Abroad’ offer. I was advised that WGA was an economy package which cost £4950 and that the only difference with this package was that it the aftercare was only for 5 weeks, and didn’t include any band fills, just an X ray, and a final consultation to be discharged.

I was advised at the initial attendance by a lady named Lisa that anytime I had any queries regarding the procedure, I could contact her, (even if I decided to go onto the Why Go Abroad package) and she would assist me as best possible. I was even given a mobile number to call her on should I require.

I didn’t book for the procedure initially as I was still very apprehensive given the fact that it was such a huge decision. Lisa, rang several times to discuss the operation and any queries I may have, and on some occasions, to see whether I was ready to book, however, I was still very unsure at this time.

After a lot of thought and discussions, I eventually decided to go ahead and I rang and booked my place. My surgery was booked for April 11th in Birmingham with WGA.

Not very long after I had booked and paid for my operation, I thought of a few questions I hadn’t previously asked and decided to make use of the mobile number I had been given for Lisa. She seemed very surprised that I had rang and seemed reluctant to speak to me as I was (and I quote) “only on the economy package” (I don’t think a helpline was included in this option). Obviously I was shocked by this remark and felt very let down by it. She did eventually answer my questions, albeit very hurriedly, and made it abundantly clear she was very busy and didn’t seem to have the time for me anymore.

My operation came and went very quickly. I was barley in hospital 24 hours for the entire procedure and I felt very rushed – like I was on a conveyor belt. The following morning, I was obviously in pain from the operation, however, was told at 6:15am that I was being discharged as my bed was needed for someone else. My Husband wasn’t due until 7am and I wasn’t even offered as much as a drink whilst I waited, despite previously being nil by mouth for 36 hours.

Before I left, I was however provided with my ‘aftercare package’ which to my surprise was just a letter merely advising that there were 2 follow up appointments and pain relief included in the aftercare pack. There were no follow up appointments arranged, and no pain relief provided. My husband had to go and specifically ask for pain relief for me so that I had some for when I got home.

A week or so after the procedure, I decided to contact WGA myself to arrange an appointment for my x ray to check that the band was ok – which I arranged without any problems – Only complaint here was that I had to travel back down to Birmingham, when I was previously led to believe that only my operation would be carried out in Birmingham – all following appointments would be in Manchester. Following my X ray appointment I rang WGA several times to try and book an appointment to be discharged but with no success. I was met with a number of reasons for this namely either that my surgeon was on summer leave, that I had to go to Birmingham (even though I was assured my follow ups would be in Manchester), or that I had to wait to be called back. My calls were never returned, and I was not offered a discharge appointment.

I finally decided enough was enough after several attempts of trying to arrange a discharge so I contacted WGA complaints dept and spoke to Sarah with a view to advising her of my situation and attempting to speed matters up to obtain a discharge appointment as I hadn’t had any joy at all from the appointments department. She seemed to have a “couldn’t care less attitude” and was very blasé about the entire thing. She wasn’t interested in anything I had to say and merely stated that ‘they only accepted complaints in writing’. At this point I wasn’t even making my feelings about the matter official and it made me feel like she had simply switched off from listening to what I had to say and switched on to ‘auto pilot’ mode giving me an answer that didn’t even relate to my query.

I finally seemed to make some headway this week and was offered a telephone discharge on Friday? How can I be properly discharged over the telephone? My wounds/scars are supposed to be checked, and my band felt to ensure it is the right position. I was desperate to be discharged as I am unable to have my band filled until this step is complete and at the moment, it is doing nothing for me at all. I didn’t need to worry however as I never received the “telephone discharge” call. I waited in all evening, by the phone but no call came.

After this telephone call was arranged I was told I could go ahead and book my band fill with Obesity Care – which I did for Monday 16th June 2008 at a further cost of £125 which had to be paid for at the time of booking. My situation now is that I won’t be able to have my band filled as I have not been discharged – and I will probably be £125 more out of pocket.

I felt that as soon as I made the decision to go ahead with the procedure, especially on the WGA package, no-one seemed to feel the need to make any further effort with me whatsoever as I had already been ‘reeled in’, and unfortunately this situation continued after my operation.

I have received no customer service or after care at all with my so called ‘package’, despite it apparently including 5 weeks after care, and a further consultation in Manchester which, not surprisingly, has not even been provided to me.

I am disgusted that I paid the sum of £ and received literally nothing more than a ‘no frills package’. I specifically chose to go private for this procedure as I was under the impression that paying privately got you not only a quicker all-round time scale, but a little peace of mind that things would run more smoothly, and that I would be taken care of in a more personal and professional way. I was sadly mistaken.

I am aware that I opted for the ‘cheaper’ of the two packages; however, it shouldn’t mean that I have to sacrifice my right to decent customer service and after care. I honestly expected to receive the basic element that I paid for and I feel utterly appalled that this is not the case.

I am disgusted by the entire experience I have encountered with this procedure at the hands of The Hospital Group/Why Go Abroad and in some ways, feel that I have wasted money that I could not afford to throw away.

I paid an extremely large sum of money for a product that I have not received. Had this money, for example, been used to purchase a car that turned out to be faulty, or, a new bathroom/kitchen suite that did not meet the advertised requirements, I can assure you that such products would have been returned immediately and a refund demanded. Unfortunately however, in these circumstances, this is not the case as the ‘product’ I have purchased cannot be returned and I feel I am simply expected to ‘shut up and put up’.

I feel completely let down and cheated by everyone concerned in this matter.

I would therefore be obliged to receive any advice/feedback from you in response to all of the above, within the next 14 days.

Yours sincerely,

Hi,

I'm booked in with WGA for September with Mr Sigurdsson, I'm just wondering how the Op went, I realise you are none to pleased with the aftercare etc, but my main worry is the Op, I think I've expected to have no aftercare, but the price was one I could afford, an extra £3000 to go to my local private hospital isn't an option.

Thanks

Kerri

Hiya - the op itself was fine. But as my letter says, I cannot get discharged! So, I think im fine - my scars are very dark purple though - but again, im not sure if this is normal. Don't worry too much about your op - i think the op has now become so much common practice that complications are rarely heard of. But please dont take the lack of aftercare lighty - I feel like "whats the point, why did i bother spending all that money - i feel NO different" .,Good luck - and if I can help with any qustions dont hesistate to contact me.

By the way - i didnt find the op painful at all - on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being bad, i would say 3. The wind pain is worst but if you keep moving, or rock back and too from foot to foot it eases it up. xx

I'm just out of surgery from WGA/Hospital group, but up till now i have found them not that bad at all. The surgery went ok, the stay in the Hospital i can understand was a bit rushed but all the Nurses etc were really nice to me. When i was discharged i would say was fine and when i got home i even had a telephone call from a lady called Sandra to ask how i was feeling, and if i had any problems to ring her, she did say that i would receive all my xray appointments etc in the post so now i am wondering if this will happen....XXXX !!!!

Unluckily for you perfect ten, you seem to have had a much poorer service with WGA than i have. I too had a call from Karen and have been given my xray and discharge appointments. I know we opted for the no frills package but to be honest i couldn't be happier with my results so far. But Perfect ten it might be worth visiting your GP if your worried about the purple scar tissue, as mine seem to be pink and quite small.

And Kerri Mr Sigurdsson did my op and i found him very good.

Sorry you've had a bad experiance so far Perfect Ten, I hope they resolve these issues for you very soon.

Jules

x

Thanks for that Spabes, I was soooooo excited about my surgery being booked and now I'm wondering what I have done!! you have re-assured me!!!

Perfect Ten, hopefully you will feel restriction after your fill, I think I have done sooooo much research on the band I've accepted it may take months before you reach the "sweet spot" and that it's just an aid and not a miricle, finally changed my attitude from wanting it to happen over night to being in this for the long haul, with alot of hard work ahead!!...I just want to be able to get a dress from Coast for my 30th birthday party next March!! lol

Hiya, i am currently waiting for my xray and follow up appointment, spabes is Karen from WGA or from Hospital Group....? and how long after surgery did you receive that phone call.

I am only 10 days out so think i am being a bit pushy if i ring them, but obviously concerned now that i may never get this phone call at all, although i must say the service has been ok for me so far too.

But i do hope you get something sorted perfect ten cause no way should you receive service like that. Go kick Arse....XXXXXXXXXX

Hi Debbie i went with WGA but as far as i know the staff seem to work for both.

I had my call about 8 days after coming home. so if you concerned i'd phone and chase it up i'm sure they wont mind.

hope you get your call soon. xxxx

Thanks for all your responses. Thought I'd write a quick update.

I went for my band fill on Monday, it was absolutley fine. I went to the same place in ST Johns Street (Manchester) where I had my consultation - the staff were all very friendly and professional. The lady who did the band fill took her time to explain everything to me, check my eating plan and reassure me about everything.

I feel better now in that I am getting what I have paid for, but it still doesn't excuse the immediate lack of afercare after my surgery (i.e. trying to get discharged). I never actually was discharged in the end!

I think (from speaking to another lady in the waiting room) that telephone discharges are quite normal and common practice for this company. Just wasn't what I expected though!

I had a reply to my letter fromThe Hospital Group just saying that they were lookng into my complaint and would contact me in 20 days. So i'll keep you posted.

To sum up: Im generally alot happier now a I feel im getting somewhere. I accept I will lose weight slowly, and will need at least one more fill - I have a little more restriction, my band is now at 5mls (10ml band) so I think one more should do it!

Good Luck to all you guys!

P.S. Im SO bloody sick of hearing people slag Fearne Britton off!!

I had my op with the WGA as well, and my experience was nt bad at all, guess I didnt expect much from them anyway. Like perfect ten, i was told that only the op wld be dne in Birmingham and the follow ups in London. Only for me to get a call saying my 1st app wld be in birmingham, i straight out said I wld nt mae all the way back there, as that is nt wat they offered. They resecluded and found somewhere in Kent, where i had my 1st fill ysterday., so am hopin to lose more hopefully.

am sry u had a bad experience, maybe u expected so much from them, either which ways talk to ur gp as well, as mine is very interested in my op, and said he can arrange for me to have fills on the nhs.

Hi Perfect ten...

I am hoping you can help me by telling me where did you phone to make your appointment to go and have your barium xray? I like you went with the WGA and untill I parted with my money they seemed great but since then an absolute dead loss!! I even had to ring them a few days befor surgery to find out times for nil by mouth and blood test appointments. I am really pleased to say that my op went very well and I am feeling absolutely fine. Thought it was bad how you get put out of your room by 6.30am tho!!! Anyway I was told by a senior nurse Karen that a letter would be with me within a few days with details of my xray at 4 weeks and consultant appointment at five weeks...also that a nurse would be calling me within the 1st pre op week to check all was well.... none of these things have happened.. she also told me that when I go for my barium xray at spire parkway a small fill will be put in, I am now doubting this too!!!

Anyway this morning I rang the number the so called patient co ord gave me befor I had parted with any cash to ask about date for the xray and she was so short with me I could have just cried after I put the phone down!She had no interest whatso ever in what I had to say. She said a letter would be with me at some point and there could be a back log of people wanting xrays.. might not be 4 wks time could be 6 but she didnt know. Her name was Sally. I wondered if maybe you had phoned elsewhere as I read in your complaint that you phoned and made the appointment for your self with no problems.

I live a good two and a half hours from Birmingham so was hoping to do an overnight stay in a hotel when I go up hense wanting to find out dates so I can make a reservation.

How are things with you now? Hows the weight coming off. I am starting to feel hungry now but trying to stay determined!!!

Look forward to hearing from you soon and Thanks

Georgina xx

Hi Georgina

Sorry havent been in touch been on Holiday in Sunny Spain.

I think i am in the same situation as you. Before i left to go to Spain i too gave the care line a call and was told my letter for my appointment for the xray was being dispatched that day, came home last night and guess what NO LETTER...!!! So i am now 4 weeks after having my band fitted with not a clue what is going on... It does make me mad, cause although i am doing very well and have some restriction i feel a bit on limbo at the min without knowing what is going on. Like you i also have quite a distance to travel to Bromsgrove so want as much notice as possible.

I am going to give them a ring tomorrow so i will let you know what happens, but please tell me if you have a progress, maybe we can try and help eachother by sorting this mess out.

Debbie xxx

Hi Debbie

Had a letter throught yesterday, (and its not the result of me calling them because they didnt even ask my name when I rang!! Charming eh!) anyway its an appointment in orpington kent for 30th july.. I the phoned the head office and told her this was 2 weeks after the date I should have had it and I told her that I was really upset with the aftercare I had got or should I say NO AFTERCARE! and she was very nice and has put me down for a comlementry fill at the same time so thats better than nothing I suppose. Her neme was Hayley, maybe you could gibve her a call Debbie. My only worry now is I will have fill on the 30th then go away for a week 3 days later with a girl friend that I was hoping not to have to tell about my band but didnt want to turn the offer of that down! Also with that letter was an appointment to see Mr Richardson in London on Sat 9th Aug but I asked if I could have another date as on holiday, well thats the day we are coming home, she said he had no other dates at all in aug so will have a telephone discharge. Im not too worried about this as I feel fine and my scars are healed lovely. Usually my skin is a slow healer but I have been rubbing a little of that Bio-Oil into the scars ... its really nice.

Hows the weight going? I was a bit didappointed at weigh in last night as lost one and a half pounds...bit of a come down from my 10 last week!!! But cant knock 11 and a half since the20th june. How was your holiday...did you still enjoy eating out? Have you found many things you cant eat yet? I am just starting on the mushies...what a joy! Feel nervous about eating "real food" again incase I put weight on...

Hope you get your appointments sorted Debbie. Maybe give Hayley a call.. honest she was very nice and could swing yourself a free fill!! The least they can do for us for putting up with them after paying £5000!!! Good Luck

hope to hear from you soon

Georgina xx

Hi Georgina

Thanks for you message back. I am currently trying to get through to the patient care line (0121 445 7500 ex 360) but the phone is just ringing and ringing...!!! At the moment to be honest i feel so let down, i feel like crying.

On a plus side my holiday was good, i managed to eat most things (even pizza) but just a smaller amount, i still get full quite quickly. But now i am back home i have started to eat alot more healthier.

My weight has stayed the same the last two weeks but then i got on the scales this morning and 3lb lighter so i have lost nearly a stone since the surgery, that with a tan i feel quite good, apart from all this rubbish with the hospital group.

If u can let me know Hayley's number i can then give her a ring.....

Hangon Progress SOMEONE has answered the phone.........

Well i spoke to a girl called Amie and she said that there is nothing on my notes and she thinks i have been missed, but is gonna get a girl called HAYLEY to ring me back... SO now i have to sit and wait, but hopefully it is the same girl you spoke to and she will ring back.... arghhhhhhhhhh.......xx

Hey Georgina

Hayley has just rang back, like you said she was very nice... I too got a appointment in orpington on the 9th Aug @ 12.20pm so maybe we can meet for coffee...??? I said also that i was ready to cry an hour ago and feel let down by the aftercare system blah blah blah and she said also they are gonna give me a free fill.... Wayhey.....