Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no support and a fat liver?

So my surgery is Wednesday!! Wow it happened so fast.

My question is i read and hear so many different stories about pre op diets. Some people have them some dont some can eat some are all liquids.

I know its to help reduce the size of the liver but I think ultimately its to prepare you for the couple of weeks after surgery you are on all liquids while you are healing etc.

I mean there are people much much larger then I am who have the surgery who have very fatty livers and they still have the surgery which leads me to believe its more of a prep thing for after surgery.

Seriously I am a bit worried my liver is not small enough or im still too fatty or something. I have done the liquid diet thing yes i have cheated here and there but nothing major. I had a small chicken breast and some fruit and some egg whites. I have lost some weight for sure about 10-12 pounds I think my scale died last week.

My friends don't understand and I really don't have much support in my personal day to day life from anyone. I have been sitting home doing nothing while on this liquid diet. It's like i have the plague or something.

I just wish i had more support from the people who I thought were my friends.

Keep my in your thoughts. i want this more then anything.

Wednesday june 11th I hope to wake up from surgery and be on my way to the losers bench!!

XOXOX

Barbie :tongue2:

My prayers are with you and I pray all goes well on Wednesday for you! You will soon have a new you.

Good luck. I hope everything goes well and that you have a fast recovery.

Congrats on your surgery date and good luck on your journey

My question is i read and hear so many different stories about pre op diets. Some people have them some dont some can eat some are all liquids.< /p>

I know its to help reduce the size of the liver but I think ultimately its to prepare you for the couple of weeks after surgery you are on all liquids while you are healing etc.

I mean there are people much much larger then I am who have the surgery who have very fatty livers and they still have the surgery which leads me to believe its more of a prep thing for after surgery.

Seriously I am a bit worried my liver is not small enough or im still too fatty or something. I have done the liquid diet thing yes i have cheated here and there but nothing major. I had a small chicken breast and some fruit and some egg whites. I have lost some weight for sure about 10-12 pounds I think my scale died last week.

My friends don't understand and I really don't have much support in my personal day to day life from anyone. I have been sitting home doing nothing while on this liquid diet. It's like i have the plague or something.

Wednesday june 11th I hope to wake up from surgery and be on my way to the losers bench!!

XOXOX

Barbie :biggrin:

You can do it Barbie!! I see we were born the same year, 1975. I already had my birthday though.

I wish I had made this decision earlier. I am so excited, my date is next Tuesday the 17th!!!

I too am on Clear Liquids. This is what I usually have everyday & lots of Water. The days I don't drink enough Water my loss is less. My Dr. also has me on 9 different Vitamin suppliments. I have only been able to take 4 of them so far b/c I couldn't find the other 5 in the form that I need them.

Breakfast:spacer.gifSlim Fast Low Carb Creamy chocolate, 1 serving190 calories

Lunch:spacer.gifGNC Protein Drink, 1 serving140 calories

Jello - Jolly Rancher sugar free Gel Snacks, 1 serving10 calories

Dinner:GNC Protein Drink, 1 serving140 calories

V8, 5.5 oz30 calories

spacer.gifspacer.gifCALORIE Total: 510

You have so much support right here.. You take care and prayers will be going out big time for you ...

A brand new way of life and a so much better one...

My question is i read and hear so many different stories about pre op diets. Some people have them some dont some can eat some are all liquids.

XOXOX

Barbie :biggrin:

I was banded 3/25/08. It is my understanding that those suspected of having a fatty liver are put on the liquid pre-op diet, 1) to shrink the liver making the surgery easier 2) to prepare you for the post-op liquid diet. I was allowed: Protein Shakes, milk, Water, tea, fruit juice (diluted 50% with water), fat/sugar free popsicles, fat/sugar free pudding, fat free yogurt,broths, cream Soups. I was also allowed by the dietician up to 4 days before surgery to have a small amount of lean Protein to ease me into the liquid diet. 4 days before surgery, just liquids. I mentally prepared myself to be a little hungry during the day, but I am busy at work, so it wasn't too bad. I saved my lean Protein for the evening when I tended to overeat most. I had unbreaded chicken tenders (Costco), 2 of them, grilled on a small George Foreman grill with salt and pepper, or 2 hardboiled eggs with salt and pepper. So your "cheating" wasn't too far off base. I lost 10 lbs during the 6 month diet required by my insurance and 25 lbs on the liquid diet. I spent an extra week on it because I caught a cold and they postponed my surgery a week. Then 2 weeks post-op liquids, 2 weeks mushies (instant mashed potatoes, refried beans/salsa (I pulverized the chunky salsa to make it smaller, heated Beans in microwave, and melted fat free cheese on top). I used fat free gravy with the potatoes. Basically I could have anything the consistency of apple sauce.

So fatty liver doesn't prevent surgery. Shrinking the liver helps make the surgery easier and your recovery too. Good luck with your surgery. You can use my mantra when you feel you don't have enough support. It is "keep your eye on the prize" which for me is getting off some or all the meds I am on, easing the pressure on my arthritic knees (they feel a lot better now) and getting into a smaller size clothing (I have dropped from 2x to large, and that is a little baggy already, but I am not quite a medium). If people suggest you are taking the easy way out, remind them of all the hoops you had to jump through (psych eval, etc.) and the fact that the band is only a tool. It does not control what you put into your mouth, only the quantity. You have to be responsible for making healthy food choices. Different doctors have differenct approaches to the pre-op diet. It is best just to follow what your surgeon and dietician tell you to do.

Edited by PATCHELTON
Additional Information

Yes... surgery was the first time I worried about the size of my organs. :biggrin:

I even asked my husband before surgery "Do these pants make my liver look fat?" :wink_smile:

Good luck and don't worry!

Hey I think we are all doing the best we can and if we make a mistake we just have to get back on the horse and keep a ridin! I think your doing great, at least it wasn't Ben and Jerry's, so hang in there and you can do it... JaJeanne

I have seen a few stories -- don't know if it was on this forum or another, I just remember it scared the heck out of me before my surgery - of people having their surgery cancelled after the doctor started surgery and then got a look at their liver. Their livers were too fatty or too damaged (from alcohol, etc.) for the surgeon to feel that he could safely move it around. So it can happen and it is a real concern... but I think it's pretty rare. I was worried about my liver too, and I was relieved to wake up from surgery and find that they'd done the procedure!

Detroit, I wish you had more support at home but you've got support here and if you want it more than anything, as you say -- you are going to be a success!!! Best of luck with your surgery tomorrow.

we will be your support,lean on us 100%, hope your surgery goes well like i know it will hang on in there.smile.