Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

high blood pressure gone the day after lapband?

I was banded Monday, June 2, 2008. I was discharged the next day. I did not take my blood pressure pills the morning of the surgery or the day after. Upon being discharged, the nurse told me not to take my blood pressure pills anymore because I don't have high blood pressure anymore. Has this happened to anyone? Or should I be concerned?:wink2:

I went to my behavior modification class where they had 6 people who had had the surgery come talk to us and one of the women had that happen to her. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.....I admit I thought WOW!

What I think is that no way would I listen to a nurse who doesnt know you and isnt authorised to prescribe medication telling me not to take my blood pressure meds.

Blood pressure is not a static thing, it being lower might have to do with the fact that you have been lying quite inactive for a while after surgery and are well rested and non stressed or it could be a complete fluke. Also you have been on medication to lower your blood pressure, that effect will continue for a while, it isnt going to suddenly shoot sky high because you miss a pill or two. Coming off blood pressure medication is not a given with weight loss, for some people their bp remains high and they need to be medicated for life, thin people have bp problems as well as fat people and its not always related to your weight. Your body does not change significantly in a day or two, surgery or not, it will take months of improved health practices to have a reliable result.

I'm not a nurse and even I know these things, they're common sense!

Seriously, that's a seriously stupid thing for her to say, and I would not stop taking my medication just becuase she says so, see your doctor.

Hopefully this WILL happen for you!

I bought my own cuff to monitor blood pressure myself. This was recommended by my doctor so that he could see multiple readings rather than just the one in the office at each visit. Mine cost about $40 at Wal-Mart.

What I think is that no way would I listen to a nurse who doesnt know you and isnt authorised to prescribe medication telling me not to take my blood pressure meds.

Blood pressure is not a static thing, it being lower might have to do with the fact that you have been lying quite inactive for a while after surgery and are well rested and non stressed or it could be a complete fluke. Also you have been on medication to lower your blood pressure, that effect will continue for a while, it isnt going to suddenly shoot sky high because you miss a pill or two. Coming off blood pressure medication is not a given with weight loss, for some people their bp remains high and they need to be medicated for life, thin people have bp problems as well as fat people and its not always related to your weight. Your body does not change significantly in a day or two, surgery or not, it will take months of improved health practices to have a reliable result.

I'm not a nurse and even I know these things, they're common sense!

Seriously, that's a seriously stupid thing for her to say, and I would not stop taking my medication just becuase she says so, see your doctor.

Hopefully this WILL happen for you!

Thank you for writing this!

I just went through an episode with my blood pressure. I used to take three pills a day for it. I kept being told to stop taking this or that as my pressure has been good. I weened myself off it slowly. It remained good until I finally stopped taking my last Water pill.

I was fine for about five days, then on day six or so I noticed I felt MISERABLE! I know that feeling well. I ran straight to my monitor and it was high. Not incredibly high where I felt I needed to go to the emergency room, but high enough to where my body was complaining to me.

I had to get back on my Water pill and even back on my Metoprolol. It took a few days to get back under control, but thankfully it has.

I have lost more than half my extra body weight, I am eating so much more healthy than I ever have, I even exercise plenty more than what is even minimally recommended. Yet, my blood pressure remains.

There is no guarantee your blood pressure will completely go away. Please keep this in mind to anyone who has high blood pressure. Yes, it has been better controlled with less medication for me, but fact is, I STILL HAVE IT!

OP, please see your doctor and be sure this is the right thing for you.

Please ask your Dr first. I stopped taking my BP pills right after my surgery because I felt I didn't need them anymore. Well, even thought I am losing the weight, I started having headaches and have had trouble staying asleep thru the night.

Went to the Dr on 06/02 and was told that I need to get back on the BP med. The Dr told me that for some people they need to be on BP meds for life and for me never to make that decision on my own again.

Be careful!! Talk to your doc.

Good Luck!!!

Check with your primary physican. After loosing 25 lbs, my BP dropped and my doc took me off of all BP meds. She said another 25 lbs and no diabetes meds. I am looking forward to less meds.

Great advise.. I too have HBP and my Dr has me monitoring my pressure twice a day .. Then he has a chart how much meds I need to take from the results. This absolutley needs to be monitored my a Dr not a nurse who doesn't know your history ..Tread carefully and take care .

I was on two doses of metoprolol a day at the time of surgery. I was NOT told to get off the meds right then and there, but I was told to watch. I could tell my blood pressure was going down about two months after surgery. I was then told to only take the same dose once a day. My blood pressure evened out. It's getting lower and lower, but still not low enough to stop taking it. My doctor told me to watch it and the minute the top number dipped below 100 to call him immediately. It's at 110/70 at the moment. My doctor feels I will get off of it eventually, but it's been a GRADUAL process. I suspect in another month or two I'll be done with it. I don't have any swelling in my face, hands, feet or ankles anymore, so my Water retention problem is a thing of the past. I think that had a lot to do with it.

my blood pressure was really low in the hospital and they sent me home with my meds...i kept taking them and my blood pressure stayed really low. my pcp had me only take half the dose...still stayed low...went off all of them now i'm in the normal range...so within 2 weeks i was off all meds!

so for sure see the doctor that prescribes you the meds...

but yes i did not have high blood pressure when i left the hospital so it can happen! =)