Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded YESTERDAY and in HORRIBLE pain!

I just got banded yesterday (4-27) and I'm in horrible, horrible pain.

The Dr prescribed liquid Tylenol w Codein, but it isn't doing ANYTHING for me. I've already finished the entire bottle in a little over 24 hours.

My mom has spoken to several nurses and one of the Drs, requesting a different prescription, and they keep on brushing it off telling me that I need to walk more (I've been walking for hours bc it hurts too much to lay down) and take deep breaths. I haven't been able to sleep since yesterday morning because of the pain- I wake up every 1-2 hours in horrible pain and sit there until I'm able to take more.

A friend of mine who got the surgery done was prescribed Lortab and had several refills available.

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to do for my Dr to take me seriously???

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I cannot remeber what I got after surgery but when I went home I used Tylenal since I have small kids did not walk to be knocked out.. Hopefull someone on the board can recommened something different. Have you insisted to talk to just the Doctors nurse or the Doc himself??

PS... I'm wondering what everyone else was prescribed? I've spoken to several people who thought it was very odd that I wasn't given Lortab in the first place.

i got the lortab and i still have some left over.. that was good stuff... i could never have made it on just tylenol alone...

the first few days were rough on me and i doubted i did the right thing... but i had the extra drugs... call your doc and tell him you want the loritab... he wont deny you if you ask directly for it.. i dont think.. i hope.

i havent heard of anybody not getting it.

im sorry you are in pain. it gets better every day.

I did not get anything for pain, I was told to take liquid tylenol adult strenght and it worked well for me, but everyon'es pain threshold is so different

I would cal lyour doctor and maybe he can call something in for you to the pharmacy.

Congratulations on your banding, trooper! I have no advice for you about the pain, except to say that it really will fade a little each day and you'll be better before you know it. I didn't take any pain meds because I didn't like the mental fog they put me in, and by the 4th day I was back at work and feeling fine.

Good luck, and welcome to bandland!!

Hey Trooper, I had surgery yesterday too. I felt great yesterday until I laid down for bed. I walked a lot yesterday and I am making my self walk today even though it is much more difficult. The doc gave me lortab and I have had 3 doses so far. I works well. Call them back and ask for it. Another thing that has helped me with the pain is using an ice pack and a support pillow. I have a squish pillow and it works really well as a support pillow. I have a lot of gas pain. I am taking liquid anti-gas medicine. I hope this will help you.

Angie

I know that congratulations might not seem like the right thing to say right now since you're in so much pain, but CONGRATULATIONS! All I can say is hang in there, keep calling your doc to see if he won't reconsider prescribing something that might help you.

It will get better, every day gets better. Try to get some rest if you can.

What kind of pain are you talking about? I'm surprised that I had no pain. I had a lot of discomfort, but nothing really hurt, and all I took were some funky Mexican pills (I didn't get a good buzz with them like I do on Lortab.)

You can ask for something stronger and crush it if the pharmacist says that's okay. And lay on a heating pad. Use it for your back or shoulders, which brought me huge comfort.

I am sorry you are in such horrible pain. Where is the most of the pain at? Does it feel "inside" or "outside". I didn't get pain medication from my doctor, only liquid tylenol but I didn't have to use it. Maybe there is some type of suppository pain meds? I say if you are in that much pain, have your mom (they are good at this) march down there and in person get this resolved for you! Did you stay in the hospital or was this outpatient?

Just take solice in knowing that EACH day you will notice it getting better and better!!

Welcome to bandland!

I just got banded yesterday (4-27) and I'm in horrible, horrible pain.

The Dr prescribed Liquid Tylenol w Codein, but it isn't doing ANYTHING for me. I've already finished the entire bottle in a little over 24 hours.

My mom has spoken to several nurses and one of the Drs, requesting a different prescription, and they keep on brushing it off telling me that I need to walk more (I've been walking for hours bc it hurts too much to lay down) and take deep breaths. I haven't been able to sleep since yesterday morning because of the pain- I wake up every 1-2 hours in horrible pain and sit there until I'm able to take more.

A friend of mine who got the surgery done was prescribed Lortab and had several refills available.

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to do for my Dr to take me seriously???

hi.. i am 1 week out today and i feel your pain.. i was in a lot of pain i actually spent 2 nights in the hospital and they gave me pain meds in a shot which was great until it wore off.. i went home with norco which is a smaller vicodin..i still have some pain but what i have come to discover is that i really think most of my pain is gas.. it feels very painfull even up into my back and shoulder... they also gave me pepcid in the hospital for the gas and it helped.. i went to the4 doctor on tuesday and i told him i need a refill on pain meds and he wouldnt give it to me.. they only sent me home with 15 and i was taking 2 every four hours so obviously they are gone.. i guess every doctor is different..l but maybe they should have the surgery and then they can see that it really is pain and we are not just extra sensative like my doctor told me.. luckily i have some vicodin left over from another time .. i am just breaking them up into smaller pieces since they are so big.. good luck and hang in there it WILL get better i promise

I called and talked to the nurse for the 4th time and she paged him again... I guess after hearing from my mom and I so many times they finally took me seriously.

He just called in a script... I'm not sure what it is though (he never told me) so I guess we'll see.

I wasn't expecting to be in so much pain- I've been having gas pain, plus pain around my port and muscle pain from the center to left side of my stomach. I've developed a cough, so that's really hurting my muscles even worse. I'm hoping whatever he prescribed me works better.

It just seemed so odd that he was so against my getting a different prescription... you'd think he'd rather have me take smaller doses of a stronger medication than over-dose on the stuff he gave me (I've had to take it every 2 hours so far- I'm only supposed to take it every 4-6 hours)

A friend of mine who got the surgery last year said she was prescribed a huge bottle of Lortab with 4 additional refills.

Thank you all for the suggestions... the heating pad sounds like a good idea!

I'll post an update later...

Good luck to everyone who is still healing!

<3 Lisa

Lisa. Glad you got a new script. This WILL pass just hang in there. Some people do have a harder time with pain control. Liquid tylenol for major surgery I don't think so...ouch. Again this won't last forever. You will be fine. One day at a time, probalbly after days 3-4 you will notice a big difference in the way you feel.. Thank God for our Moms.

I too was banded on the 27th and I was not given any pain meds however the pain I have had is trapped wind in my chest.Walking has helped but more than anything peppermint water.A few little sips and that has soothed things.Every day I have felt 100% better than the day befor...The wind is still a problem,

Good Luck