Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OT - My Sisters Baby

I need some input from all you experienced mothers, fathers, nurses, grand's, aunts, neighbors.....

My little neice is 4 months old. The cutest, fattest, sweetest little butterball youve ever seen. Headfull of black curley hair too!

But today, my sister - Ashley - called my attention to something strange. Baby Katy Beth keeps her head tilted to the right. Ive noticed that when I hold her she always seems to lean to the right, but just figured her muscles werent strong enough to keep her upright. After Ashley told me this, I 'tested' her by helping her sit up in my lap & on the floor, and sure thing... she leans to the right. She will pick her head up straight, but only for a few seconds, then drops it back down to the right side.

So now Im scared.

Ashley is bringing her to see the pedi. on Friday for shots, so she plans on talking to the doctor about this.

Any of you ever experience this?

Here is her little picture, isnt she precious? *notice in this picture, her little head is tilted to the right*

post-204070-13813131774301_thumb.jpg

uhm, is her head big? my son had troubles with his head too, but his head was so big he looked like a dang space alien (one of the greys...:)) He didn't walk until he was about 18 months old either, his only trouble was his dang big head. (he started talking at 9 months)

A friend of mine had a baby girl a few months before my son was born, so she's 2 1/2 now. When baby Grace was born, they had to use some pretty good force to get her little shoulders out, and it didn't break a bone, but it did make her left arm slow to develop control (as much as a newborn has control!) for almost the first year. Something about a stretched muscle/tendon? Anything like that happen with your sister's baby?

By the way, she is absolutely adorable!!! Looks healthy to me! My bet, she'll grow out of it, but keep a close eye out for her. Good to check with the pediatrician though. Could it be related to eyesight or hearing/balance? Hmmmm.

I wondered about the eyesight/hearing too. I'd definately have your sister get those 2 things checked, just to be sure.

She's a BEAUTIFUL baby BTW!!!!

HI Paula,

She looks like a cherub! What a beautiful baby! I think that Vinesqueen had a good theory about her head. Lots of babies favor one side or the other. I hope everything is alright, but try not to worry too much. I know, easier said than done.

Babs in TX

My little nephew had this exact same thing! They had to do some Physical Therapy exercises with him over a period of a few months to strengthen the muscles on that side of his neck. I for the life of me can't remember the official name for it, but he is about 16 months now and walking like crazy with no residual effects from it all, he uses that side just fine now! Good luck!

Thank you so much for the input.

Kathy, she was a c-section baby. I should have mentioned that in the original post. You are right though, sometimes the pulling and tugging during delivery could cause temp. problems.

Crystal, nope, her head is normal sized.

And, I thought about the hearing too.

Wannabtiny, thanks for that info. Im going to do a little seach and see what I come up with.

Paula,

What a cutie! I think it's probably just like you said, that her neck muscles just have not developed enough to hold up her head herself. I'd be surprised if it's something else.

Take care and keep us informed.

Please do have her mention it to the Doctor. My youngest son Cristian could not hold his head up the slightest bit and come to find out he had delays all around. he was a c-section too. But With Physical Therapy he is now walking and talking non stop. To this day there is no reason what and why it happend. I just thank the Lord that he is doing fine.