Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Humana Insurance (I work for Depart. of Education)....What's been your experience?

I'm starting this whole process, and wondering if anyone else who has Humana insurance in Kentucky (like state workers) is willing to give any info about your approval process....how easy was it to get approved? Did you have to have co-morbidities? My BMI is 42....what will they require besides the 6 month observation from my Primary Care Physician?:cursing:

I also work for the state with the board of education in Kentucky. That is what Central Baptist bariatrics says. The Primary care physican talking to you and weighing you every month for 6. Ashland Kings Daughters says you have to see a dietician every month too. I called Georgetown to ask this lady I have been speaking with and she said no all I had to do was see my physician six times.

Cheryl

I am a public school employee and have Humana. I just got approved yesterday for lapband. One initial visit( check up) and 6 months weigh in and talk about diet. B/C of age, I also had to have cardiac clearence, which I had done after month 4. Once Georgetown sent in paper work I knew within 3 days. I am waiting for surgery date Kathy

I am so glad to hear the news. I have been worried that they will want more than the doctor's weigh in and notes. Kings Daughters told me that Humana requires you to see a dietician every month too. Where are you having your surgery and who is your surgeon? I had my third visit yesterday and remembered that I went to my gynecologist in March and we talked about weight and lapband. He was all for it and had written notes on it on his chart. I think I will be able to count him too which will make it four visits. At any rate they told me after I have my fifth visit and schedule my sixth appointment they will schedule me to see the surgeon and have my psych, labs, etc. I will also have to have a cardiac check up because I have severe sleep apnea. What kind of test did they do on your heart? I am 55 years old. Did you have to have a pulmunary function test?

Cheryl

I went to aseminar last fall. In December I went for checkup with doctor I have seen for 10 years. That was initial visit then I had to go Jan. Feb, March, April, May and June before they could send paper work to Humana. In the April May month I went for cardio clearence and pulimanary test also.

I went Feb. 29 for my 1st all day appointment. There was dietician. check up and psy evaluation that day. You do not see the suegeon til you are approved, The 2nd day appointment and then surgery date.

I am being banded Dr. Oldham/Weiss at Georgetown, KY Kathy

Does it have to be the same doctor? I went to my gynecologist in March and we discussed my weight and lap band. He said he would send me a support letter. It was in his chart that he had spoken to me. I wonder if Humana would consider that one appointment and then I started in April and had appointments in May, June with my primary doctor. I have another appointment July 25th. My BMI is 46.9 how long does it take to get approved? I just want to get this lapband started and be healthy. When is your surgery? I have also chosen your doctors. Do you see both of them? I will be going to Central Baptist.

Cheryl

hi

angie from pike co ky go for my first dr vist in july an have humana for ins what all do you have too do before ins pays an did you have a co-pay

Edited by nanna
mispelling

Angie,

I have to have six months of supervised dieting with my primary doctor. They told me that in the fifth month they would set me up for testing. That is all I know at this point. What about you?

Cheryl

chery

i go for my first vist july 29 at kings daught . i know nothing at this point. when they call me yesterday i told them i was a diabet an weight 233 she said that was anoth for lapband. an they had all ready call me ins angie

I have Humana and am a KY state employee. I had surgery March 2008 and my orig. BMI was 40. Humana required of me 6 months supervised diet. The diet in addition to health problems, (BP and arthritis in knees) helped me with approval. When I first started Humana was not as open to LP surgery but they seemed to have become more open to things.

Busy,

Where did you have your surgery and when did they start with y our testing? How long did it take to approve? I know lots of questions.

Cheryl

Busy,

Where did you have your surgery and when did they start with y our testing? How long did it take to approve? I know lots of questions.

Cheryl

It took a long time for approval, Humana was not as open to LB surgery as I think other insurance companies were. Once the ball got rolling I would say maybe 3 mths after I completed the 6 month supervised diet. I live in Western KY so I went to Clarksvill TN to have surgery, maybe 15 - 20 miles from home. After I was approved for surgery I was scheduled for an appointment and given a list of test I would have to have done before the set surgery date. (maybe 1 month away) After completing the test I had to drink that dreaded stuff that makes you empty your colon of everything you have EVER eaten. The following day I had surgery, it was a breeze, came home the next day and took a week off of work. No one at work knows or suspects anything, (I work with gossipy people) that way I go at my own pace without anyone constantly saying, "how much have you lost??" I have carried my lunch to work for the past year so nothing has changed in that department. To date, (my ticker screwed up when I tried to update it) I have lost 39 lbs.

Did it take everyone with Humana a long time to be approved. I was hoping that after the six months of dieting they would rush things for me. I know I have some testing to do also.

Cheryl