Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frangipani & TexasBecky get Reconstructed

Frangi, Another item I just noticed on my list is Colace or some comparable stool softener. I always need something like that when I'm on pain meds. I also have to shower with Hibiclens soap for the three days prior to surgery.

In Texas we say "go big or go home". That applies to our hair and our implants, lol.

Thanks Ladies for wanting to share this personal journey with the rest of us. That is so unselfish and kind. I will be praying and anxiously monitoring the thread for your updates and wish you all the best and will send quick healing vibes to the both of you! Are you having the surgery somewhere other than your home town? Just wondering since you mentioned being in a hotel for 11 days? Will you have someone with you to help care for you? Hope so. I am newly banded on May 8th, so just in the beginning of my journey to a healthier life and who knows, maybe a lift too...:lol:lol. Take care.

Best wishes to all of us in our journeys for peace, happiness and health!!:P

Frangi, Another item I just noticed on my list is Colace or some comparable stool softener. I always need something like that when I'm on pain meds. I also have to shower with Hibiclens soap for the three days prior to surgery.

In Texas we say "go big or go home". That applies to our hair and our implants, lol.

Becky LOL :lol::lol::smile:! Go big or go home -- Love it!!! Sounds like I might need to move to Texas after my surgery, if I decide to go any larger!

Thanks for the additional items to add to my shopping list too!

Thanks Ladies for wanting to share this personal journey with the rest of us. That is so unselfish and kind. I will be praying and anxiously monitoring the thread for your updates and wish you all the best and will send quick healing vibes to the both of you! Are you having the surgery somewhere other than your home town? Just wondering since you mentioned being in a hotel for 11 days? Will you have someone with you to help care for you? Hope so. I am newly banded on May 8th, so just in the beginning of my journey to a healthier life and who knows, maybe a lift too...:lol:lol. Take care.

Best wishes to all of us in our journeys for peace, happiness and health!!:P

Gojaguars, thank you so much for the well wishes and the "quick healing vibes," with as much surgery the two of us are having done we will definitely need those vibes, for sure!

Becky is having her surgery close home and will be away from home for only two nights (right Becky?), but I'm having my surgery done in Miami.

I will be in the hospital for three days, and then my husband will be with me for another four days after I'm released from the hospital. If I need help after that (which I hope I don't because I want to be up and about and active ASAP) I have a service lined up Plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery recovery care services in South Florida, and they will send someone out to my hotel to help me out.

Congratulations on being newly banded! The Band is a wonderful thing, and I wish you the best of luck on this exciting new journey.

Thanks Cori and GoJags for your sweet comments. I will take all the positive vibes I can get. I bounced back from my band surgery really fast, and although this is much more extensive, I'm hoping for another speedy recovery. My husband says he will do anything he can to help, but he turned absolutely white when I told him about emptying the drains, lol. Thankfully my sister is coming to town to help out. I think maybe hubby should stick to chores around the house and let my sister play the nurse.

I totally agree with the things suggested. The toilet seat riser, is ideal, and I would look into a wedge or seat pillow----there are really very few positions you are comfy in for a few days, and when you are sitting all day, and sleeping all night in the same bed, it would seem it would happen much quicker ----the getting tired and sore I mean.

You will want to look around the motel, and find an area you can walk to regularly. Maybe find a way to walk to the pool, and people watch for awhile, anything to move, and break up the monotony.

Best thing you can have is a lap top and an ability to log onto LBT!!!

Will be there watching you both, and cheering you on----you have both been great cheerleaders for me!!!

Kat

I totally agree with the things suggested. The toilet seat riser, is ideal, and I would look into a wedge or seat pillow----there are really very few positions you are comfy in for a few days, and when you are sitting all day, and sleeping all night in the same bed, it would seem it would happen much quicker ----the getting tired and sore I mean.

You will want to look around the motel, and find an area you can walk to regularly. Maybe find a way to walk to the pool, and people watch for awhile, anything to move, and break up the monotony.

Best thing you can have is a lap top and an ability to log onto LBT!!!

Will be there watching you both, and cheering you on----you have both been great cheerleaders for me!!!

Kat

Thank you so much Kat! :lol::smile::thumbup:

And thanks for the suggestions too! I'm really hoping that I will be able to get out and walk and do things ASAP, because I know me, I will go absolutely stir crazy. I am SO hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that I bounce back as quickly as you did.

I plan to purchase most of the things I need in Miami once I get there, so that I won't be loaded down with luggage. Do you think I can get a toilet seat riser and a wedge pillow at Bed Bath and Beyond or someplace like that?

I definitely want to purchase both of these things, but I'm just not sure where to find them.........

Frangi, a medical supply store (there is probably one close to the hospital)will for sure have the elevated toilet seat and probably the wedge.

The toilet seat riser yes you could purchase there, but, you might check with the hotel, see if they have one, and if not check the online yellow pages for medical rentals, and I bet you could get one for a few bucks for while you are there, and not need to take it with you----let them pick it back up. The medical depot here rents them, and they rent the ones with arms----it just sits over the existing commode---we rented one for my MIL when she had her knees both replaced at one time. We paid $18.00 for 2 weeks, they delivered it, and picked it back up!

As for the pillow wedge, they are harder to find. The Bed, Bath and Beyond will likely have them as well as tons of specialty pillows, though. I have suffered with reflux for years, so have always slept elevated some. I have an inflatable wedge pillow I take on vacation, or when we go camping, or anywhere away from home. Do a search for Inflatable Wedge pillows--I bet you find one that will not take up too much space. You could also go to Bed, Bath and Beyonds website and find out what they have available so you would know ahead of time.

I am not quite sure how I shopped in the days before I could check things out online before I go!!!!

Get a stockpile of magazines, puzzle books, things that you can do with short attention bursts!! I love to read, but could not seem to concentrate long enough to read my book, but things like People---with lots of little short things to read I did fine!

Don't know if anyone mentioned it---chapstick! My lips were so dry----not sure why, maybe my whole body was a bit dehydrated.

Kat

Karey & Kat, you girls are full of good advice! How was your appetite after surgery? Did you want/need anything special to eat or drink? Did your doctors push Protein?

I don't know if it was the intubation, anesthetic, pain meds--or a combination of them, but my taste buds were out of whack for several days---NOTHING tasted right, everything was bitter, especially water! I could not seem to taste sweet or salty at all, and the bitter taste buds were working overtime!!!

But it went away after a few days and I had no particular cravings.

My Dr. told me to continue with my multi Vitamins, and he suggested a stool softener, is the only thing he told me to add. I know a bit more than I did about what I need to eat since being banded, so I did my best to eat a healthy diet as I heal, but......have strayed here and there, and oh yeah over there, and about there....and here too!!!

Kat

I got my toliet seat riser at Rite Aid. Find a Walgreens or probably any pharmacy would have them.
Frangi, a medical supply store (there is probably one close to the hospital)will for sure have the elevated toilet seat and probably the wedge.
The toilet seat riser yes you could purchase there, but, you might check with the hotel, see if they have one, and if not check the online yellow pages for medical rentals, and I bet you could get one for a few bucks for while you are there, and not need to take it with you----let them pick it back up. The medical depot here rents them, and they rent the ones with arms----it just sits over the existing commode---we rented one for my MIL when she had her knees both replaced at one time. We paid $18.00 for 2 weeks, they delivered it, and picked it back up!

As for the pillow wedge, they are harder to find. The Bed, Bath and Beyond will likely have them as well as tons of specialty pillows, though. I have suffered with reflux for years, so have always slept elevated some. I have an inflatable wedge pillow I take on vacation, or when we go camping, or anywhere away from home. Do a search for Inflatable Wedge pillows--I bet you find one that will not take up too much space. You could also go to Bed, Bath and Beyonds website and find out what they have available so you would know ahead of time.

I am not quite sure how I shopped in the days before I could check things out online before I go!!!!

Get a stockpile of magazines, puzzle books, things that you can do with short attention bursts!! I love to read, but could not seem to concentrate long enough to read my book, but things like People---with lots of little short things to read I did fine!

Don't know if anyone mentioned it---chapstick! My lips were so dry----not sure why, maybe my whole body was a bit dehydrated.

Kat

Wow, lots of great ideas ladies -- thanks a lot!!! I will see if I can rent something to elevate the toilet seat, because I hate throw things out after using them for only a few days, if I can avoid it (just doesn't seem like a very "green" thing to do). I will also check with the hotel once I get there and see if they have something like this already.

The wedge pillows on makemeheal.com look really great, Karey -- thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately since I'm leaving for Miami next Tuesday, I doubt there will be enough time for me to order one. I did look on the Bed Bath and Beyond website and they do seem to have a few different types, so I'll try that once I get into town and if not, I will also try a medical supply store.

Thanks again everyone :lol:!

I just got approval from my Dr. to travel to TX, by car tomorrow. One thing we discussed I thought I might share with you------since I am having such an issue with drainage---I would say to have plenty of gauze pads on hand, in case that is an issue with you as well. He told me today since I am oozing in about a 5 inch area, that I can use sanitary napkins on it in place of the guaze.

He said once we open the gauze in the bulk package like I have it, it is no longer sterile--and that I truly don't need anything sterile--so the pads are thinner and more absorbant than gauze!!

I thought I was done buying those when I had my hysterectomy--and not having young girls at home, I was astounded at the selection in the store------but ultimately decided, my belly did not need wings!! LOL

Kat

I just got approval from my Dr. to travel to TX, by car tomorrow. One thing we discussed I thought I might share with you------since I am having such an issue with drainage---I would say to have plenty of gauze pads on hand, in case that is an issue with you as well. He told me today since I am oozing in about a 5 inch area, that I can use sanitary napkins on it in place of the guaze.

He said once we open the gauze in the bulk package like I have it, it is no longer sterile--and that I truly don't need anything sterile--so the pads are thinner and more absorbant than gauze!!

I thought I was done buying those when I had my hysterectomy--and not having young girls at home, I was astounded at the selection in the store------but ultimately decided, my belly did not need wings!! LOL

Kat

Oh Boy Kat,

I can see myself now strolling down South Beach with sanitary napkins stuck to my belly -- I am going to have to beat the men off with a stick :lol:!!!!

This conversation made me remember that my friend went and bought some disposal pads to under me while I was in bed. I was bleeding a little (just a little, don't panic) from the Lipo and the drains and kept soiling the sheets. The pads seemed to make everything feel cleaner and fresher. Towels would work also, just don't know if you want or care if you get a little blood on hotel towels. As far as cravings and appetite go, I didn't have much appetite for a week or so after surgery. I would just have the salt free crackers, jellos and puddings to take with your meds, maybe some canned broth or Soups, tea, etc. I did enjoy a little rice pudding. Before you know your appetite will be back!