Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Battling hunger and becoming weary of clear liquid diet. I know this is part of the journey, but just wanted to share.

Feeling great. So lucky I can be home & rest.

Sending hugs to all my lap band sisters.

Joyce in KC

Hi Jody...pre-surgery date? So you go in for what exactly? See you haven't even had surgery and you are already starting to think like a bander. You do not need to feel guilty for not making everything from scratch...you need to take care of yourself too, that's what this journey is about. What is hamentashen?

Great...sorry about the Mom conflict again. Weird how they can affect you from 2000 miles away. I bet you are really excited about your trip. Will your sisters help out with your grandma while you are gone? As for the chips, well, it's part of our issues and you recognize it. It's a step better than just eating and hoping that will make the other pain go away.

Judy...thinking about you...have fun tonight.

Apples, it's great you are having a good time. Enjoy it.

LauraK, I have this really big eucalyptus tree and they tend to poison everything around them and their leaves and branches exude an oil that kills surrounding plants so I can't grow anything in my raised beds...so for Christmas, my DH gave me a tree removal gift. Of course the tree is still there but things are progressing and maybe in the next month, I won't have a tree there anymore.

I really want to respond to everyone, but I'm really tired. I have to get my boarding passes and then go to bed. We are leaving really early in the am and will be back very late on Saturday.

Hope everyone has a really good weekend and I'll try and catch up later.

Eva

OMG Phyll.....Way too muich fun. Love a woman that can see the joy in that.

I don't get pissed very often (that's what I love about myself)...OK....trulyu embarrssed tonight. With a bunch of Canadian friends watching the women's Olympic hockey. Canada won...USA women were bad sports. That's all I have to say.

Janet, thanks...and I'm doing okay with food the last couple of days...really good...hit the 45lb mark. Thanks for the reminder about the GPS...have fun on your trip!

Joyce, sorry you are hungry...I wasn't hungry for days. I did get tired of liquids after a couple of weeks. Glad you are doing alright.

Battling hunger and becoming weary of clear liquid diet. I know this is part of the journey, but just wanted to share.

Feeling great. So lucky I can be home & rest.

Sending hugs to all my LAP-BAND® sisters.

Joyce in KC

Joyce - How long to you have to be on Clear Liquids - I was lucky I came home on full liquids - Have you tried making homemade broth - it taste so much better than the canned stuff...

What's your food Phase schedule ?? I had full liquids 10 days - then pureed then soft then reg - 10 days each phase

OMG Phyll.....Way too muich fun. Love a woman that can see the joy in that.

I don't get pissed very often (that's what I love about myself)...OK....trulyu embarrssed tonight. With a bunch of Canadian friends watching the women's Olympic hockey. Canada won...USA women were bad sports. That's all I have to say.

That's crappy about poor sportsman ship - that's an embarrassment on us.... I hate poor sports !!!

Janet, thanks...and I'm doing okay with food the last couple of days...really good...hit the 45lb mark. Thanks for the reminder about the GPS...have fun on your trip!

Joyce, sorry you are hungry...I wasn't hungry for days. I did get tired of liquids after a couple of weeks. Glad you are doing alright.

Congrats Eva !!!! Have fun this weekend..

Guess who I heard from today !!!! Beckyo !!!! You newbies won't know who she is but Great - Charlene - JB & Apples (I think will)

She's having some issues w/band - unfilled right now - say she's coming back !!! I am so happy she wrote me...

Well I haven't done crap and it's almost 8 - well not much to do really throw some pj's clothes for Saturday and makeup in a overnight case - Taking Angel w/me - leaving Bear w/Andrew..

but I need to change - still in work clothes

Good evening, well my appt with Grandma went well this afternoon and I think I got everything straight and emailed my mom all the details. Time will tell 'if I did everything right' but if not mom has her number and I'll be out of the country!! I am taking Grandma shopping tomorrow.

Janet, but the big bag of Fritos is a better buy! LOL Yep that's what I told myself when I bought them. DUH!!!

Jody, congrats on being banded. How long are you on clear liquids? Seems every doc is different.

BeckyO, hi if you are reading this, so happy to hear you are coming back! I had a 50% unfill in Dec. and am 1cc away from having my whole fill back, it's been a struggle.

Eva, my sisters will help a little with Grandma while I am gone. Maybe they'll appreciate what I do!

Apples, glad you had a good time with DS. How much longer do you have left in FL? I miss ya!

Good evening, well my appt with Grandma went well this afternoon and I think I got everything straight and emailed my mom all the details. Time will tell 'if I did everything right' but if not mom has her number and I'll be out of the country!! I am taking Grandma shopping tomorrow.

Janet, but the big bag of Fritos is a better buy! LOL Yep that's what I told myself when I bought them. DUH!!!

Jody, congrats on being banded. How long are you on clear liquids? Seems every doc is different.

BeckyO, hi if you are reading this, so happy to hear you are coming back! I had a 50% unfill in Dec. and am 1cc away from having my whole fill back, it's been a struggle.

Eva, my sisters will help a little with Grandma while I am gone. Maybe they'll appreciate what I do!

Apples, glad you had a good time with DS. How much longer do you have left in FL? I miss ya!

Great - a better buy - lol - nope the better buy was the small bag :0) - Insanity doing the same thing and expecting diff results lol - But stress will do that to you ;0)

Yep let everyone else deal - they may appreciate you a little more - doubt it but we can always hope ;0)

Have a great vacation... I won't be on this weekend - so if I don't talk to you again - Hugs & Love - Enjoy Janet

Hi gang, sorry I haven't been on at all today.... Pt this morning and a bit of shopping, then home to Mimi and then had to go out to help friends with moving some appliances to get ready for new stove and fridge. Of course we had to have a game of pinochle... But only one as I was so tired.... I had a very long, painful, sleepless night last night.. Up til 4:00..... then back up at 8:00 to get ready to leave... short night... I didn't do too bad today until a little while ago and the shoulder started... Just got out of a hot bath and put on my cream that makes my skin tingle.. It's starting to subside a bit, so I need to take my meds now and hopefully sleep a bit earlier tonight...

Judy, how you had a great opening night.. Let us know..

Lori, glad your day went well.... Janet, I'm here... Just tired... You are such a go getter.. Wish I could be, but maybe someday soon... Apples, sorry you lost your post, would have loved to hear what you had to tell me... Glad you had a nice time with DS.... Soon you'll be on the road again... Eva, you are always so busy, too... do you ever just crash???? Joyce, glad you are doing well.... Just keep following orders... They are for a reason even though they seem silly at times... Phyl, what a story about the birds... I am deathly afraid of birds... I could tell you stories that would make you roll on the floor laughing... I had a terrible time on Fishermans' wharf.... and on a ferry in Seattle... Those dang sea gulls about did me in..... Everyone else, hope you are doing well.....

A bit of an update on me..... It is now 8 days since I gave up bread for Lent.... I am happy to report I have had NO BREAD at all since Ash Wednesday.... I almost blew it today at lunch at Ruby Tuesday with a friend... I had the salad bar and did fine with lots of Proteins, but grabbed a few croutons out of habit... Was about to eat one when I remembered that it was bread, so I left them...... so 8 days down and 32 to go....

I'm on my way to my meds now and hopefully some sleep. I have Mimi tomorrow and DH has to work and I have a ton of things to do for my baby shower on Saturday... I really could use that sleep... Night all... Julie

Julie

Hope you get some rest tonite - and girl - you do more than I do most days - Heck i don't think I could watch a 2 yr old like you do ;0)... Wash cook and clean and deal with the pain that you do..

WTG on no bread and by the end of lent I bet you don't miss it and if you have some it won't taste as good as you will remember it tasting

Linda - where are you - heck Idol is over by now - so you know who got kicked off - so far I know the 2 girls and 1 boy - waiting to see who the last one goes home..

Kris Allen is on right now going to go watch him - I was glad he won last yr..

Guess what??? I got moved up. March 9th!! Someone cancelled or didnt get clearance but got the phone call today that the insurance approved me totally and if I want to move my date up to the 9th I can...and boy do I ever!! Ive told you all that how many times??? lol

so..now im a March 9th bandsters....Yea!!

Jodi, I just love hearing about your traditions, as I know nothing about being Jewish.

I think each Dr/Hospital has something different they do or want. I didn't have to have blood gasses drawn. The fear of the unknown is the worst the rest is a piece of cake. oops bad word.

Thanks..but sometimes I wish I havent heard of them. Of course when it gets challenging emotionally or physically oh and not to mention financially.....the tuition for Jewish day school is half my salary...however what I love about it keeps me practicing and its those exact things that are most challenging. lol go figure!

Yes...I agree its the fear of the unknown. Im beginning to get more nervous with the idea of the stupid pre-surgery/patient education day then the whole surgery all together. This too shall pass and ill be on my way. yes. each surgeon, insurance and hospital has its own protocol. Im jsut glad im up to the home stretch.

Jessica, you are doing so great. Keep up the good work!

Janet, There are never to many plants. That sounds like a good price. Our MG meeting last night was about roses and Clematis. Growing them together by using the rose as a built in trellis for the clematis. The color/specis combos she used was just amazing.

Everyone take care, Laura K

Laura, I love these ideas this sounds so romantic and just so English? Thanks for sharing ..when I have a garden I will be a calling!

Laura, I agree that your parents probably will be so happy to be with you guys for the vacation and bday party they wont even notice the little one thing is out of place. I do understand how you feel. You want it all to be perfect. Just remember to take care of you as well its so easy to get lost for a week or so and so hard to get back to yourself after...

[

QUOTE=Apples2;1422299]Jodi...love your interesting posts!

You are too funny...you must be having such a great time!!! How exciting...I was in Vancouver back about 15 years ago..it is such a gorgeous place. I had friends who I lived with in Israel from there and I went to visit them several times...even was engaged for about um a month to someone who lived there lol, that didnt last long. I ate at this fabulous Sushi place as Vancouver apparently has the best sushi....I guess from the seas there...and the Salmon. that was the best Sushi I ever had in my life. I had my favorite raw quail egg on top of salmon roe sushi. Sounds not so good but the salt of the salmon roe and the sweetness of the qual egg....um yuuuumy now whenver I go for sushi...I have to have one. You have to have sushi there have you?

I guess after next week I wont be having that any longer or it will be a long long time till then! It will be worth not having it any longer. Well you have a great time and enjoy the rest of the vacation.

Cheri...Ouch, how horrid for you. Im so sorry about the fall. I hope you are feeling better....Iowas...oh I remember them. Ive administered evals for the BOE for the longest time...Its been such a long time since I heard of that test! Now I just use the Brigance and the HELP lol. SOOO much easier. Feel better. Take it easy.

Joyce, Im so excited for you...sounds like you are doing great!! keep up the good work...of recouping!!!

Hi Jody...pre-surgery date? So you go in for what exactly? See you haven't even had surgery and you are already starting to think like a bander. You do not need to feel guilty for not making everything from scratch...you need to take care of yourself too, that's what this journey is about. What is hamentashen?

ahh...Hamentashen are Cookies that are three sided like Hamens three corner hat. lol Its pretty much cookie dough and pinched on thrree sides..like a pinwheel..and filled with some sort of fruit. This is the traditional treat for purim.

It is symbolic of making fun..or having fun with Hamen who tried to destroy the jewish people. You are so right about the idea about not making everything from scratch.

That is what this is all about..its the changing the way we think about "food" the way we make it and the reasons why we are making it and retraining our brains to get that idea that we "MUST" ..do what we were taught or what we are used to......so

this is what I did.....I said you are sooo right....I decided Im not making the Hamentashen...nor am I going to buy them either...Im not even going to put together junk food baskets either.

NOOO, I called up edible arrangements..not sure if you are familiar with this chain of edible fruit arrangements. I called them and said..I would like a small something...to give out to people and in the end I chose...a box of 6 edible friuts on a stick dipped in chocolates. It just so happens...this wasnt any more expensive then it would have been for me to put it together myself. I ordered 8 boxes. I will only give to the people that have helped us out here in the last year...and my brothers family and that is it....no more no less.

No big deal. healthy....natural goodys....(minus choc, lol)

but no white flour and all that junk sugar.

I think it makes an amazing statement to everyone that..this woman..here is shaking things up a bit and doing things a little less traditional and id say very apprapo(spelling?) for a week before being banded...need I say more to anyone?? oh and if anyone doesnt like it well..they can kiss my um big fat bottom,,,theyd best cause its going and they wont have the chance later. lol

so, thanks for helping me out here!!! You helped me rethink whats important....

and while we are at it....Im not cooking for Passover either...Im going to order the dinners in. well. maybe just the Soup and the brisket. lol I wont be having any but...my daughter likes the soup and I can....have that if I skim it and have the broth..oh and I can grind up all the veggies and make mush. yes...thats what ill be eating all week of passover.

wew.....you really have given me food for thought.hehehhe

Thanks again.Well its been a long night...and ive probably talked everyones ear off..

Have a great weekend..all enjoy.

Jodi

Good morning! Today is my last busy day before vacation. I have nothing planned for Fri and Sat. unless you count laundry, packing etc. But I have no where I have to be! This afternoon is a meeting with Grandma and a long term care representative and something with Medicaid which she may have to go on, it's not going to be fun. My mom wants this meeting, she'll be here in 3 weeks, I was pushing to wiat for the meeting when she was here, as I know I won't find out everything my mom wants. I hate being in the middle! And it's bringing up all the old, 'nothing I do is ever good enough' feelings I have fought my entire life and thought I conquered. That's my vent for the day.

Jodi, I leave for Isreal on Sunday, we don't arrive in Tel Aviv until MOnday, so I assume the holiday will be over then?? We spend a night in Tel Aviv, then 2 nights near the Dead Sea, and then the rest in Jerusalem. I am very excited to see all the Biblical sights, walk where Jesus walked, etc.

Also, on my surgery day, all I had was surgery. No other tests that day, just got there, checked in, they started my IV, they may have drawn a tube of blood, I don't remember. All my testing (and never had blood gases that I know of) was well before the surgery date, I had pulmonogist screening, cardiologist screening, psych eval and a bunch of blood tests beforehand. Your date is going to be here before you know it and you'll do great!

Woke up today with a horrible headache, haven't had a headache in forever!

Wow you must be so excited! Yes. you are right if you leave Sunday and you get there Monday it will be over...but...Im sure there will still be partying as Jerusalem and Tsfat are walled cities they Celebrate Purim on two days so you might see the kids all dressed up still.

You are going to love Jerusalem. The church where Jesus was said to have had the last supper...the church of the holy seplica I believe? Im not sure of the name..but the biblical holy church on the old city is a very special and beutiful church. Actually all the churches are really beutiful as they are very old and have such deep roots. I stayed in the old city between the christian and armenian quarters one summer and learned about the all the beutiful biblical sites and went on several tours of where Jesus lived and walked. Bethlehem and Tiberias were my favorite places...You arent going there to the North at all??

The dead sea of course...dont forget to bring back lots of mudd and any cuts or scrapes...forget about the Water. No shaving before is right!!

Well you have an amazing meaningful trip!!!

go and come back safely!!

Ok Gang - you have been busy as usual

Jodi - I love it !! You are a modern Jewish Mom - heck my gf (who was jewish) Mom - never cooked - we ate out all the time when I was with them - she never baked that I knew of - Starr and I ate a lot of Bagels & lox - no cooking required (well toasting the bagel)

I have to tell you my mom never cooked like this either!! She ate like you have described above. lol Dont know what the heck happened to me lol.

The only test I had pre-op was blood test - won't tell you how many vials they took ;0) - but I did have pulmonary test where the did blood gas but that was part of all the test I had to do before surgery - my doc makes you do them all - mamo - colon- heart - shrink - nutritionist - lungs... But the only pre-op in July was the blood..

Okay....so there is still hope for me!! ....but the blood gas....thats scary..Please no blood gas lol. I can tolerate lots but not that. wimpy me. lol Well preop and patient education day is March 4th,

that being said Next week is olmost here...I have some questions that maybe you or others can answer.....

What are these....things that im hearing through the posts. Getting bits of info but no clear picture of what to expect.

Dumping

Sliming

PBing

Throwing up

stuck and what happens

the difference between a stomach virus and being sick from food stuck? is this just as bad? what to do when you get a virus?

clear liquids...broth? what kind? how much sodium is too much in store bought organic broth per serving? If I make my own then is chicken Soup broth okay after skimming the soup and running through a sieve? apple juice...low sugar? what other clear liquids are considered okay. Jello I hear is okay no sugar.can it be flavored? cranberry juice as well...skim milk??

other questions....hmm. okay...well thats it for now....im sure ill think of a million more tomorrow!

oh yes....the Vitamin thing...does it matter what kind if they are supposedly good? and the Protein shakes....does it matter from where again...and from what type of protein and if they are made specifically for bariatric patients?

Any advice as to what products are good..you recommend or suggest sites that sell superior as opposed to just making money??

Is it important and worth buying from them as opposed to Trader Joes or health food stores???

okay.....thats it...i cant think anymore. lol

Thanks again....for the support and info...dont know what id do at this point without you all lol. you are my insight into what the future is,,,,and from what I hear....its pretty great...you and all of yous I mean!!!!

Have a great night!!!!

and a great weekend. Jodi

Edited by NYSparklegirl

Jodi

Clear liquids - just that - chick broth (home made is the best - so make a batch pre-surgery - freeze it) sf popsicles - juice low sugar - preferably sf - flavor sf Jello - and I am not sure what else - I didn't have to to clear liquids one I got home from the hospital

Full liquids include clear liquids and - cream Soups (again homemade the best - I would make a pot of Beans - scoop the beans out - pureed them added them back to the bean broth - cream of bean soup)- sf/low fat yogurt (dannon lite in fit or yoplia sf - or some greek yogurt flagu or something like that - i have never found it) - sf fudgesicles - Protein shakes- sf jello flavored not plain ;0) - sf puddings

Mushie/Pureed - Refried bean - oatmeal (weight control as it has more pt and less sugar) - cream of wheat - scrambled eggs - anything pureed - baby food ;0) - well baby food fruit is ok plum & peaches

Soft - anythng you can cut with a fork

Regular

There is a food thread on the home page which will give you ideas

My doc said 60 grms pt - 1 oz of meat = 7 grms of pt (rule of thumb 64 oz of liquid

Banders don't dump - that's bypass

Slime - when food gets stuck your body produces thick saliva to try and get food to go down - and it will bubble back up and come out your mouth..

PB - productive burp - when you get stuck - food doesn't go down - you will bring it back up - it's not like throwing up - no stomach acid - like a burp with food - but really it's a little more but not as bad as throwing up

Stuck feels like a golf ball in your chest/stomach - its uncomfortable - no it's not like a stomach virus at all for me once it comes up I am find

Protein - Bariatric Choice is a site where I get my protein supplements & Vitamins (lapband) they sell Proti which is what my doc office sells - it's really a matter of personal taste and I don't know the diff between whey & soya or egg white (jay robb makes a good one like i said) to me it's all the same - but i'm not super technical on things like that..

They also have the clear Liquid Protein crystal lite drinks - I love the grape & peach mango - and tropical fruit..

When you go to your pre op visit your doc should cover all these things with you- I got a 3 ring binder with my diet for each stage and list of foods.

The rule is low fat - sugar free - high protein - limited carbs

eat slowly - chew very well and tiny bite (eraser size)

I basically follow a WW type eating plan - I can't do Atkins - I have to have some starches - and veggies and fruit - I consider all those things (veggie & fruit) as healthy.. when I say carbs - I really am refering to starches (white)

Ok that's a quick version - you other banders - please put your 2 cents in cuz it's be 2 yr 7months since I was banded - I forget things that I did in the beginning.

Oh ya - what I think is the most important - logging your food - counting calories & pt grams - ..

Well it's 10 - I gotta hit the hay - will chat w/you all in the a.m. before I leave

Hugs J

Good Morning Gang

OMG it must be time for old banders to contact me - I heard from Rose - remember her - she lived in Riverside - about 60 miles from me - Her Mom was sick w/cancer and passed - she may be moving to the Desert and wanted Realtor info ..

Well - up early - got the car packed last night - dog food, pillows for my angel - and Apples cuz of you - healthy Snacks planned - popcorn and Jerky - wish it was Eva's jerky - but store bought will have to do --

Need to jump in the shower and figure out what to wear and take - but hell I'm only going to see DS & Sis so I don't have to look cute ;0) - will be back Sunday anyway - so it' not like I will be gone long -

Janet--you can't help BUT look cute!

Julie--I am worried about you, girl. This pain and lack of sleep HAS to be affecting you physically and mentally--do you think the PT is hurting you instead of helping? Does a good dose of Advil help? What about cortisone shots? The one I had in my shoulder has helped me. Has anyone suggested Accupuncture? When you have chronic pain, you want to try anything! Also, great going on the bread. Try not to see giving up bread as a sacrifice, but as a gift you are giving yourself--you are giving up a dependence on something that does NOT SERVE YOU anymore.

The show was fun! I really like the people involved. My character is a hoot---a NY agent--and of course, I had to make her Jewish! I threw in some OY's, a little Yiddish, even mentioned matzoh balls--the audience laughed. My singing went well, but so far, I have not gotten any calls from recording studios...hahahha!

One show down, 8 to go.

Hope everyone has a great Friday--xo

Good morning, Lovelies!

DH just called and received a job offer for that promotion/move I mentioned awhile back. Looks like we will be moving to Utah, they are negotiating salary now so if that goes well......

I was supposed to have all day today to myself but told Grandma I'd take her shopping. We have to find something for her to spend $800 on herself. She is going on this long term care which is also part medicaid and she has $800 too much to qualify. She can't give it away but she can buy stuff for herself. Seems silly but after supporting herself for 100 yrs she is about to run out of money and needs some help, this is killing her to to this but it's a really good program. The medicaid lady gave her some ideas on what to spend it on, so hopefully she finds something, she is very very very shall I say thrifty or just say tight?? LOL I think it comes from living through the depression. Heck one day we were shopping and she needed lotion, she wouldn't buy the big economy size bottle as at 100 yrs old she might not live long enough to use it all and then will have wasted some money. LOL She loves Alfred Dunner clothes so we are going to penneys as they carry that brand.

Jody, I am going to Tiberias, I am spending 2 nights there. One night in Tel Aviv and the rest in Jerusalem. some of the things I will be seeing are Caesarea, Cana, Galilee, Hifa, Muchhaka where Elijah hid from King Ahab and later fought the Baal prophets, Megiddo, Nazareth, Beit-Shean, Gilgal, Jericho, Bethlehem, we will walk the Via Dolorsa, Massada, Ein Gedi, and much more.

Your talk about Purim is so interesting, last year at this time I was in a Bible study of Esther and one of the gals made those Cookies we called them Haman hats.

Some of your banding questions,

clear liquids means you can see through it

full liquids you can add more creamy stuff

soft/mushies is things like refried Beans, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, s/f puddings

For Protein Drinks, I'd suggest getting some now and taste testing so you have some on hand after surgery that you like. I didn't like many of them and it's such a personal preference. I preferred the Isopures (available at GNC) but others called them Iso'pukes'. Also GNC had these Protein Shots they called them. They came in what looks like an oversized test tube, they are 3 oz and made from whey Protein, they had the consistency of cough Syrup. However, a few of the varieties had 43 grams I believe of protein in them, so one oz had a lot of protein. Those first few days after surgery I had such a hard time getting in my protein which was supposed to be 40 grams minimum but preferrable 60 to 70. I could only drink an oz at a time, these 'shots' of 1 oz of those gave me about 13 grams at a time. They weren't the best tasting but helped me a lot.

Janet, have a fun visit with DS. I bet you look cute all the time!