Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

do you have any quick on the go Protein snack suggestions?

Hey Marty...have to remember back to post op diet...I usually carried a very small cooler in my vehicle so that I have things "on the go". I would just put Greek yogart, cottage cheese, Protein powder mixed with milk, etc. i n my cooler and always had something on hand. Now I keep Pure Protein Bars, beef Jerky (both found at WalMart...World's Kitchen brand Jerky is what I have found to like the best). I always have a baggy or two of Fiber One Cereal in my purse also. I need at least 1/2 cup a day to keep things moving and it's a great source of Fiber.

Make sure not to over do it on the Protein bars...they are very tempting. I am like Janet....I plan my meals ahead of time and my Snacks. Less likely to screw up and over do on calories. I always made sure to have SF and FF Snacks in the house as to not be tempted by food I make for farmers at my place. Hope this helps!

?Velvet, I think it's great you are doing the Bowflex, keep it up, but I think you also need to add some cardio. Start slow with walking or something. Good luck to you! My workouts are 6 days a week of a DVD called Power 90 by Tony Horton. This is my 3rd week of a 90 day program. I finally feel like I am getting stronger and able to do more. The first week or so was tough.

Wow, Janet, you are really on today, great info here. I can't really add much more to my story that you haven't already posted. For me, it's become a way of life. I feel stronger and more confident with every pound I lose and more and more determined to never go back to that way of life again. Also I was self pay and paid big bucks for this surgery and that keeps me on track too. Even if I cave to head hunger, always try to make it Protein first. That helps if you can do that. Junk food unfortunately as you know, Bonnie, slides right through and you never really get that full feeling.

Thanks Long - Yep it's just a way of life - that's exactly how I look at it !!!

Wow- Janet this is an awesome overview and SO HELPFUL. I want to save it somehow and go to it when a I need a "shot of wisdom". The break up letter is HILARIOUS! Thank you all for helping us Newbies- someday I hope I can "pay it back!
do you have any quick on the go Protein snack suggestions?

Marty

#1 Janet Rule

Take hope out of your vocabulary and replace it

with I WILL :tongue::thumbup::lol:

and I see you did read the 1st page :drool:

It's true if we talk negative talk to ourselves that's what we are going to believe - if we talk positive to ourselves then we will begin to believe it and act on it.

Would you call your bf stupid dumb a failure - nope you would try and boost them up when the are down - so why do we talk crap to ourselves.... We need to love - honor and cherish oursleves just like we do our friends.. This doesn't mean to enable - but to give provide motivation..

Protein snack - those little 3 oz cans of tuna or salmon, beef Jerky, low fat string cheese, a hard boiled egg - heck a dannon lite & fit yogurt has 5 grms of pt and 80 calories - add a sliced banana to the vanillia - its good..

Well I have gym tonite - so will ck back around 6:30 - TTYL

Hi kids....cold and rainy in FL today. Spent the day in the cabin with DH, did laundry, did some reading, etc. Just finished up dinner. Grilled chicken cut into strips with a homemade salsa, yams, corn bread and apple pie. I had 3oz of the chicken, two bites of yams with cinnimon butter and one bite of corn bread. So good. DH had the apple pie and I watched. No desire to eat anything like that any more. The yam was my treat!

Two weeks remaining of our vacation. Wish we would have booked the two months like we originally planned. Certainly will next year.

Hope you are all doing good. Great, great advice today, Janet (and every day). I missed out on this thread the first part of my journey. Darn!!!!

Until later. Life is good

Good evening all - Had a good day today. Had my first week follow-up appointment and doc says I'm doing fine, just where I should be. For some reason I was in a real positive frame of mind today. The not so good part is that I got engrossed in work and allowed myself to go to long without eating. I had a cup of Decaf mocha and a Protein Drink which has about 33grams of Protein it. As usual I was hungry by the end of day - more than I should have been if I had eaten at regular intervals like I was supposed to. The good news is that when I did finally eat, I ate 1/2 baked potato with some cream of shrimp Soup drizzled over the top (my own no muss no fuss concotion LOL). I feel fine and I'll probably have my usual bedtime snack, sf pudding.

Doc says I do need to get my fluids in. I told him I have a sort of constant feeling of being pinched on my left side, somewhat under my rib cage. I thought it was gas, but he says we need to keep an eye it, because it could be a sign of kidney stones (shows what I know). He says kidney stones are a result of not getting in enough liquids. So definitely need to do better on the Water.

For the first time today, I actually felt like I can do this thing. I thought about the cocoon and butterfly imagine you mentioned in your post Indio. I'm still majorly in my cocoon, but I kept imagining what this butterfly will look like when it comes out. It made me smile and gave me more of an incentive to do what I need to, in order to make this new lifestyle change work for me (learning this from you Indio).

The story about your life before the band Indio is much like my own. You are right, we are more alike than different. I've got so much work to do like starting an exercise program. Doc mentioned this to me also. Lot's of bad habits still in place, but mentally I'm getting adjusted and my thoughts are consumed with the things I need to do to make this work for me.

Indio the letter was really good. It also reminded me of the decision I made when I decided to end my marriage. Now I have to apply the same theory or thoughts to my other lover - food; especially the ones that are high in fat and sugar content.

Oh well enough out of me. I hope everyone had a good day, and wish you a better day tomorrow.

IndioGirl:

Thanks for all the advise you give here. You were kind enough to answer my questions a few months ago when I first posted.

Being from Imperial, I do indeed know your ex-in-laws. No one except my wife knows I am having lap band surgery and I prefer it that ways. It is nothing for me to lose 60 lbs in the past years (so losing the weight will not cause anyone to think). The problem I have always had is goining it back.

Again, than you for your advise to everyone.

I am a little over two weeks pre-surgery, I am getting nervous. At times I think I can do this without the surgery...but then realize I have never been able to keep it off.

FYI...I started my preop liquid diet this past weekend. Just thought I would get a head start....

I hear ya!! I am three weeks out and am nervous as well. I really, really want this so now that I have a date why am I so scared and debating if this is the right thing? This whole surgery thing scares me the actual process and anthesia. Once I get past that I think I can handle the rest.

I think the back and forth is normal at this point in the game. IT is getting close.

Hi kids....cold and rainy in FL today. Spent the day in the cabin with DH, did laundry, did some reading, etc. Just finished up dinner. Grilled chicken cut into strips with a homemade salsa, yams, corn bread and apple pie. I had 3oz of the chicken, two bites of yams with cinnimon butter and one bite of corn bread. So good. DH had the apple pie and I watched. No desire to eat anything like that any more. The yam was my treat!

Two weeks remaining of our vacation. Wish we would have booked the two months like we originally planned. Certainly will next year.

Hope you are all doing good. Great, great advice today, Janet (and every day). I missed out on this thread the first part of my journey. Darn!!!!

Until later. Life is good

Apples - Sorry for the rain - but hope you are enjoying your time though - yep after all that work you do harvesting cooking for the guys hospital stuff and all the other things you do books etc - you deserve some time for you...

This tread didn't start till the end of May when they revamped the site

Thanks for the other Protein and Protein bars-ideas - I forget about cottage cheese cuz I don't eat it - Didn't like it as a kid - had a bite the other day not bad - pretty good in fact - but I forget to get it at the store cuz it's not normal thing for me.. And since I am so far out I really don't do Protein Bars too much any more - I rather eat real food for 200 calories :drool:

I gotta say your restriction is tighter than mine - mine has been acting up lately - lunch today was my chicken one pot wonder and I think it was too much a slider - I ate 1 1/2 cups and around 2 was hungry - 3 had a snack cuz today was gym - in fact I got there a little early and did 1 mile before my weights - I did 200 lbs with my legs today !!!!

But gotta say when I got home GS wanted pork chops so I ran to the store - took a gulp of Water and omw - so exercise does make me tight...

Good evening all - Had a good day today. Had my first week follow-up appointment and doc says I'm doing fine, just where I should be. For some reason I was in a real positive frame of mind today. The not so good part is that I got engrossed in work and allowed myself to go to long without eating. I had a cup of Decaf mocha and a Protein Drink which has about 33grams of protein it. As usual I was hungry by the end of day - more than I should have been if I had eaten at regular intervals like I was supposed to. The good news is that when I did finally eat, I ate 1/2 baked potato with some cream of shrimp Soup drizzled over the top (my own no muss no fuss concotion LOL). I feel fine and I'll probably have my usual bedtime snack, sf pudding.

Doc says I do need to get my fluids in. I told him I have a sort of constant feeling of being pinched on my left side, somewhat under my rib cage. I thought it was gas, but he says we need to keep an eye it, because it could be a sign of kidney stones (shows what I know). He says kidney stones are a result of not getting in enough liquids. So definitely need to do better on the Water.< /p>

For the first time today, I actually felt like I can do this thing. I thought about the cocoon and butterfly imagine you mentioned in your post Indio. I'm still majorly in my cocoon, but I kept imagining what this butterfly will look like when it comes out. It made me smile and gave me more of an incentive to do what I need to, in order to make this new lifestyle change work for me (learning this from you Indio).

The story about your life before the band Indio is much like my own. You are right, we are more alike than different. I've got so much work to do like starting an exercise program. Doc mentioned this to me also. Lot's of bad habits still in place, but mentally I'm getting adjusted and my thoughts are consumed with the things I need to do to make this work for me.

Indio the letter was really good. It also reminded me of the decision I made when I decided to end my marriage. Now I have to apply the same theory or thoughts to my other lover - food; especially the ones that are high in fat and sugar content.

Oh well enough out of me. I hope everyone had a good day, and wish you a better day tomorrow.

Sharon - GF this is all about you and that's ok - I want to know you and your story - for once in your life it's about you!!! You deserve this - and I can tell you that you really are a butterfly inside

There really aren't enough words to explain how great I feel - how liberated - but also I still do have some insecurities - I can still be that fat chick - then I think oh that person doesn't know that I use to weight 112 lbs more - they think this is normal for me - well it's not - I love walking into what we consider normal clothing stores - but it's still weird -

Yep I love your homemade conncoctions - that's how my one pot wonders came about...

I am so happy that you are beleiving in you and that this is possible - cuz it really is - You are going to do this and a year from now you will look back and be so very proud of yourself for the transformations that you have made.. This whole jounery has been very impowering for me...

Keep that imagine in your head of the butterfly - think about it each night before you go to bed and every morning when you wake up - put a picture of a butterfly on your fridge and before you know you will be post pictures of you as that butterfly....

Oh ya - Apples can tell you about kidney stones - she has had a couple bouts with them... Drink your water... I don't think you want the pain...

IndioGirl:

Thanks for all the advise you give here. You were kind enough to answer my questions a few months ago when I first posted.

Being from Imperial, I do indeed know your ex-in-laws. No one except my wife knows I am having lap band surgery and I prefer it that ways. It is nothing for me to lose 60 lbs in the past years (so losing the weight will not cause anyone to think). The problem I have always had is goining it back.

Again, than you for your advise to everyone.

I am a little over two weeks pre-surgery, I am getting nervous. At times I think I can do this without the surgery...but then realize I have never been able to keep it off.

FYI...I started my preop liquid diet this past weekend. Just thought I would get a head start....

Hi Icthy - Yes I remember you :tongue: Don't worry I won't tell and I am not in contact w/them anyway - I do talk to my XMIL & xDH everynow and then..

I didn't think I could do it without the surgery - I really felt I needed the tool - and it's was about keeping it off - we all have lost weight a million times before - but it always creeps back on - once we go off the diet - That's why I stress that this has to be a lifestyle change - I can with the help of my band use all the information I have from prior programs to lose the weight and keep it off..

I was lucky only one 1 preop diet and I got to have salad & fish for dinner - It's wasn't total liquid..

Prayers for a safe surgery and speedy recovery and please feel free to join us...

I hear ya!! I am three weeks out and am nervous as well. I really, really want this so now that I have a date why am I so scared and debating if this is the right thing? This whole surgery thing scares me the actual process and anthesia. Once I get past that I think I can handle the rest.

I think the back and forth is normal at this point in the game. IT is getting close.

Welcome Swrktp - Yep it's normal - this is a drastic thing we are doing to get the weight off - and for me - it was my ah ha moment - if you are going to go thru such great lenghts to lose the weight - then you have to be really committed to working the program.. This was my second surgery - 1st was when I was 30 and had to have gall bladder removed - I don't go under the knive for any old reason - But it's will be fine and you too will be in my prayers for a safe surgery and speedy recovery... Look forward to having you join our group...

Hey all you who read this thread - Please feel free to join in - it's not just for the ones who have been here for a while - it's open to anyone who want to jump in...

Well, it' 8:30 - dinner is done - but haven't eaten - I had to go to the store after gym, GS wanted pork chops - then a gf who had bypassed called wanting to know what to take for heartburn - so I am just finishing what I started an hour ago..:w00t:

So I better go eat my Fish & Veggies before they dry out..

I'll talk to you all tomorrow - :thumbup:

Hello Janet, I just love coming home from work and signing on to read your thread. Your words and wisdom helps me more than I can ever tell you....thank you. I am going on 2 weeks post op and everytime I get discouraged with my weight loss I start reading and you make so much sence and you are right. We are all different. Thank you again.

Hi to all! I am just one week post op and already feel so much better than I have in a very long time. I had 2 weeks liquid pre-op and now finishing up week 1 of 2 of post op liquid diet. I have lost enough weight already to have a better quality of life already. I've spent the past 10 years after major back surgery miserable and in daily pain in my lower back. The last 5 years I have had brusitis in my left leg so badly I was unable to walk or stand more than a few minutes at a time. I've had countless cortisone shots in that leg, and nothing ever helped. Every few months it would get worse and more painful. I was starting to have to take Vicadin on an almost daily basis the past year or so and my leg would still wake me up throbbing when I was asleep. If you can believe it, I haven't had pain in my leg for the past several days. I lost 30 pounds since last summer and 12 or so since I began my pre-op diet. The pain in my leg is almost completely gone. I also already have more energy than I had even the week before surgery. I read in the Lapband Companion Handbook -- "you won't be better next year, you'll be worse." That really inspired me because frankly if I was worse next year, I would be in a wheelchair. That got me through the fear of having the surgery. I've also had pretty bad bladder (leakage) problems the last year which have already improved greatly as well. food does not taste better than being pain free feels. Janet, thank you so very much for both your story and the break up letter. I've printed them and will keep them in my lap band notebook for future reference.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Linda

Good Morning Gang !!!

Thanks for the props - but that's what this thread and LBT is about - support - inspiration - therapy truly.. It's therapeutic to all of us to be able to tell our stories - to share our losses and help each other with our struggles...

And to know that you can lose the weight - that you can and do deserve to be the best that you can truly be..

I had bladder problems too - I had to wear a pantie liner all time and OMW and something more if I had a cold !!! :( Now I don't:wink2: - I haven't had a cold since banding - so that I will have to wait and see if I have a bad cough - but on a daily basis that problem is gone...:)

Well just cking in this morning - have to go for my 6 month mamo :( let's see what they find this time around - 7/12/07 calcifications that had to be tested - then 7/15/08 biospy on a lump - all came back clear - but it seems like every time I go they find something - well I guess not in the Feb test but will have to go back in July and that's when the seem to always find something - maybe it's the heat of July :)

I will ck in later - Have a good day - good food choice - drink your Water !!!!

Good evening all - Had a good day today. Had my first week follow-up appointment and doc says I'm doing fine, just where I should be. For some reason I was in a real positive frame of mind today. The not so good part is that I got engrossed in work and allowed myself to go to long without eating. I had a cup of Decaf mocha and a Protein drink which has about 33grams of Protein it. As usual I was hungry by the end of day - more than I should have been if I had eaten at regular intervals like I was supposed to. The good news is that when I did finally eat, I ate 1/2 baked potato with some cream of shrimp Soup drizzled over the top (my own no muss no fuss concotion LOL). I feel fine and I'll probably have my usual bedtime snack, sf pudding.

Doc says I do need to get my fluids in. I told him I have a sort of constant feeling of being pinched on my left side, somewhat under my rib cage. I thought it was gas, but he says we need to keep an eye it, because it could be a sign of kidney stones (shows what I know). He says kidney stones are a result of not getting in enough liquids. So definitely need to do better on the Water.

Sharon...Janet is right...get you fluids into your body and make it a way of life. I have always been a big Water drinker but my kidney stones are just my gift from God. Been getting them since 1994. I get them on an average about every six weeks. I have had over 100 stones or more since that time. No fun and you do not want to start storing them in your kidneys. Mine are Calcium based and nothing I can do about it. I still am very aware that I need to hydrate though.

You will get through all of this. The LB journey can be a struggle at times but there are so many good things that come with the success of making it work for you. We are all different, have different journeys and come out in the end all different sizes and weights. We cannot try to compare ourselves to others. Sure, it's fun to compete and keep up with others....we are all here for each other. Just try to concentrate on your journey and share it with the rest of us. We truly do want to know how others are doing. Even being at goal....I still am interested in how my friends are doing.

The LB is the best thing I ever did for myself (besides marrying DH and having two great DS). Throughout the process I would spoil myself a little. Small rewards for small goals, etc. I would take those longs baths, read a book, go for a walk, workout really hard....the things I did not give to myself when I was heavy. A good exercise session actually feels really good when you are done. Take one "Sharon" night a week. Do something just for you.

Off to St. Augustine today. Nice and sunny even if it's only in the high 50's. Rained yesterday but didn't mind. Read a book (The doctor's wife...really good mystery), did laundry, hung out with DH. This has been the best time ever. You always know you can make friends in a campground setting.

Life is good! Take care and let's all of us do something special for ourselves today! OK?

Just booked my 100 lb reward...A Meditteranean cruise!! We sail from Barcelona on May 10th. WOO HOO!!! DH had promised me this cruise about 3 or 4 yrs ago one time when I was crying on his shoulder about my weight and he said if you ever lose 100 lbs..... And here I am!! Got a fantastic deal too, can't wait! Oh the new clothes I am going to need!!

Sharon, about the Water, do you carry a water bottle with you? I have one with me whereever I go and that helps me a lot to get in my water. Just sips here, there and everywhere.

Congrats Long on your cruise - and oh yes so much shopping to do - so much fun - for me just getting ready for the cruise is the most fun...

Back from Mamo & Ultra Sound - didn't know I had the ultra sound too - but after those lumps last yr (I thought there was one now found out 2 but 1 looked funny and that's what they biosyied last yr) well they are still there haven't changes - so now I go back in July 09 for my annual and we will see what they find..

Apple - I thought Florida was suppose to be warm this time of year - 50's heck that's cold for me - but again I'm a desert rat and anything below 70 is cold...

Ok gang gotta get to work - I will cbl as usual :(

Janet,

Your words of encouragement are priceless. I'm back on the lapband wagon -- writing down everything that goes into my mouth on Daily Planet and exercising as well. You're my inspiration and today, I know I can do it!

It's snowing here in lovely New England and because I love snow, it's a nice day. I'm a bit under the weather with a cold so I'm laying low, but eating healthy and trying to be the best I can be for myself. That's for today. Tomorrow is another day and I will log in tomorrow and let everyone know how I'm doing.

bonnie