Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else get red around their incisions when the tape was taken off? sites look good, just Red..

7_5_142.gif I had a little redness, but it went away fairley quickly. Just keep an eye on it. Make sure there are no red streaks from it or it does'nt feel hot. If it feels hot or you get streaks get to your Dr. asap. nIf you have any concerns contact your dr. good luck

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

I had redness and a rash started. I found I was allergic to the bandages that I was using at home. I started using latex free bandages which helped but still irritated my skin to a lesser degree. I eventually started using the much more expensive bandages which were like an absorbant pad in the middle with almost like a plastic tape covering the outside and this did not irritate my skin.

Anyways, my issue was minor and easily corrected.

However, please be sure that if you have pain that is not diminishing or growing stronger at those sites, or feel any heat or have other indications of possible infection, you need to see your doctor right away. Infection can be very dangerous and should be taken seriously.

Watch it closely because I had a little reddness around my sites they looked good all the first week and first visit and about two weeks out a scabbed formed and THEN I started getting an infection SO watch it closely and wash with dial soap on your sites. Your not me but I thought mine were just healing. Good Luck.

Sheemac:thumbup:

that's so not cool! my incisions are healing nicely, one's totally healed. but man, i didn't know i was allergic to latex :wink2:(we use latex condoms,and no side effect has ever happened. sorry to get off topic :thumbup:). i'm now using non latex bandages, and my rash is going away.

I am allergic to adhesive and get a terrible rash that seeps. I was fortunate that my Dr. didn't use tape. He stitched from the inside and then used glue. I would call the Dr. and ask if it is appropriate to use cortizone or another topical ointment.

I have redness and it's been three weeks tomorrow. It's not like infection red - just "I've been cut and am scabbed" redness. It's just along the edges of the incision.

If your redness expands or grows outward- CALL THE DOCTOR! Those can be signs of infections - along with red streaks.

Best of luck,

Barbara

the incision where my port is, is not healing well it opened, but the doctor said it was not infected gave me anitbiotics any way to be on the safe side. ad i have to put antibiotic cream on it with gauze twice a day. I have no fever no hot to the touch sensation jsut a wound that is taking forever to heal and close . It is very frustrating to me. It has been three weeks since my surgery my other woun ds are healing well and the wound looks like it is closing up now i go to the doctor every week for a follow up. But i am so annoyed right now. Has this happen to anyone else

I have no drainage issues either with the wound

i called my nurse when my bandages started coming off. she said there should be no puss, no bright redness or hot feeling to the incision. if you are experiencing symptoms listed above, call the surgeon immediately.

Thank you all, I will watch it closely.. not hot at this time, just red.. might be the bandage I used.

I just got banded on Tues., May 27th. My stomach on the port site is swollen & bruised. Is this normal? Also, I have tape on the other incisions. Am I supposed to remove the tape & can I wash over them? I tried calling my doctor & his office hasn't called back today.:lol:

Make sure not to put Neosporin type ointments of hydrogen peroxide on incision site. It will slow the healing process.

I just got banded on Tues., May 27th. My stomach on the port site is swollen & bruised. Is this normal? Also, I have tape on the other incisions. Am I supposed to remove the tape & can I wash over them? I tried calling my doctor & his office hasn't called back today.:thumbup:

Swollen and bruised is definitely normal . . . you are not very far out from surgery.

Doctors have different instructions but I can share what I remember of mine with you.

The "tape" I had were little white steri-strips that kind of helped hold the skin a little closer together. I was told to leave them be until they came off on their own. One came off early and I found later that the incision area in that spot was a little wider than the rest because I think that without the strip the edges moved a little further apart. I would just leave them alone.

You should not take a bath, go swimming or in any way submerge your incisions in Water. However, showers are fine and the incision areas can get wet as long as they do not get very wet for very long. Basically I hopped in the shower, rinsed, soaped, rinsed in less than a minute for the incision site. Then I lowered the shower head and scrubbed everything else in a way that would not introduce much more Water to the incisions.

Use a clean towel or paper towels to dry the incision area every time. Never use a washcloth more than once, and really I dont think you want to use one at all on the incision sites. This is to avoid any bacteria that may collect on these items from being introduced into the incisions.

After a shower, I always made sure that I let the incisions dry completely, usually by just keeping the area uncovered and allowing them to air dry. After they were dry I used a little hydrogen peroxide, a little neosporin and then bandaged the area where necessary. I would never touch the area, bandages, anything along that line without thoroughly rewashing my hands first just in case. Even if I just got out of the shower and threw on some clothes, I would still rewash before touching.

I never had any incision problems, everything healed well without infection. This is what worked for me.

Edited by HeatherO

Thank you so much, HeatherO. You put my mind at ease. I hope I'm as succesful as you've been.:thumbup: