Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need all the advise I can get

Going through motions, hope to get all the feedback possible: 1) what is everyones experience regarding from the orig seminar to the actual surgery how long in between? 2) Is it true you dont meet surgeon till day of surgery 3) Is it true u need adjustments post surgery and this is not done by surgeons office

4) any other infor would be helpfull thanks so much

I went to the seminar August 2007 and I got my band March 2008. My insurance required a 3 month pre-op doctor supervised weight and exercise program. I went to see my surgeon and he actually seen me once a month as the supervising doctor for 3 months and then he added that to all of the other documentation they needed to send to my insurance company. They sent it into my insurance and it took 6 weeks to get approval which was in January. The next month was spent doing pre-op studies and tests that were required... for me it was venous scan of legs, EKG and upper GI.

I've only had 1 adjustment and the first one is always done under fluoroscopy at the hospital, I went through outpatient surgery for that and it didn't take too long at all. The rest of the fills when needed will be done in the office unless there is a problem.

Hope this is helpful.

Tess

I attended the seminar December 18, 2007. Got my first appointment about 1 month later, went through all kinds of appointments and was banded May 7. I could have been a couple of weeks sooner except for a 2 week glitch through a misunderstanding. I saw the Surgeon twice before surgery. He wanted to do his own physical, then a quick check in about 1 week presurgery. He was the one to make the final decision on whether I would have it or not, and that was right up to the day I checked in. If I had splurged and gained 5 pounds over the last weekend, no surgery. I was told I had 1 pound to gain or they'd cancel. He was me before surgery and the next day, 2 weeks later and I have an appointment 4 weeks after that. I expect either he or someone else at the Center I go to will do the fills.

"any other info" covers a massive amount, and as Jack says, just surf this website. I did. I read about those long post surgery, those just starting and everything in between. I rarely posted, just read for info and learned so much that my Center was surprised at my knowledge, and I knew more then the nurses at the hospital. I spent about 3 months reading quite a bit, then slowed down toward surgery, now I'm back with a vengence.

1) what is everyones experience regarding from the orig seminar to the actual surgery how long in between?

I didn't go to a seminar (my husband has had a lap band for a while and I had read a LOT about it when he did it). I decided I wanted to do it at the beginning of March (my B-day). I had the surgery on May 7th. I did all of the testing, insurance approval, etc. in between but it was practically a full time job to get it all done that fast! :sad:

2) Is it true you dont meet surgeon till day of surgery?

I met my surgeon and talked about the band in detail with him about a month before surgery- when I set the date.

3) Is it true u need adjustments post surgery and this is not done by surgeons office

Yes- you will need fills to keep losing weight. My surgeon has two offices- one is the lap band/ surgical consult place and the other is the fill center. But different doctors might do things differently.

I am self pay, so I was in and out in two months from seminar to surgery.

The surgeon is generally the person you see right after the seminar. I had the seminar, appt with my surgeon so she could evaluate me herself and then all the 'other' docs. Then I saw her again before she scheduled surgery.

My surgeon was also who did my first fill. It was almost exactly one month post op and it was in her office. It was not near the deal I thought it would be. My next fill is scheduled for 6/27.

I have to say, I already feel like it was the smartest thing I have ever done. Even with just one fill, I already can eat so much less. And even better yet, I am losing the desire to overeat or binge. Who knew?! It's so great. I wish I had done it years ago.

Good luck with it all.

Edited by COSkinnyGirl

Hello I am a newbie with my band

seminar was on march 13th the doctor meet with us indivually in exam rooms after the seminar.I had my pscy consult done and sleep apnea test completed before first visit.Then I had to meet with physical thearpy and a dietician to go over the pre surgery diet and after surgery diet.

Then we had one last doctor visit in April 26 to go over anything and to make sure you have not gained a whole lot of weight cause your not suppose to gain any.

surgery was done on May 5th I stayed one night went home the next afternoon,gas x strips and a small pillow and of course walking all over the entire hospital to move that gas were my bff's.

My doctor is Scott Robbins of Dothan Alabama, he;s a newbie to. but he is great.

CONGRATS ON SURGERY, you'll be fine. Sheemac:thumbup: