Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in the process of deciding if I want to go thru w getting the lap band procedure. As its looking, I have a dr & aprx date of when I could do it, but thing is....I'M PETRIFIED!! I've researched & read until my eyes are crossing! Right now I'm at 180lbs, which is my heaviest. I wasn't this big when I was pregnant. I'm normally around 130lbs. But the past few years have been like h#@% on my body. I had 3 major surgeries w/in a yrs time & it has wreaked havoc on my body. I have always had curves (I'm not the barbie doll type) & I'd like to keep them,...just have them somewhat like they used to be. So, I guess what I'm asking is "am I doing the right thing by having it done" & "is it possible to regain your former shape by doing it" & "does anyone regret having it done"?? I don't want to make a mistake in any of this...it is an important decision. If any of you can help....I'd greatly appreciate it!! :)

Honestly, I would have not have lapband surgery to lose 50 pounds, unless I had comorbidities and had exhausted all other options. I am very happy with my band, but I have diabetes and high blood pressure and need to lose more than 100 pounds. If you are this scared and unsure, give it some more time.

I agree, you should only do it if you have 100lbs or more to lose, or if you have factors such as high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. The band is a life time thing. The only time they take it out is if there is a problem with the band. Other wise you just go right back into that yo yo diet. My doc told me on thursday, that they rarely take them out due to request, they only take them out if theres a problem, so there is a life time with something your for one not sure about. Please think hard. It took me nearly 3 years to come to the decision if I wanted to do this. And yes Im scared, thats normal, but Im so wanting this, to better my health,.not to look good. Try something like weight watchers, or nutrasystem first. I wouldnt go surgical just yet, but of course that is your decision. Take care and good luck with your decision!

Maybe you should take 3-6 more months to really do some soul searching to be 100% sure of your decision. You need to ask yourself if you really are prepared to take on the lap-band way of life. If you are on the fence about this.... hold off.

You don't want to go through with it and have regrets, or worse yet, need more surgery. :)

Deb

I also did not have 100 lbs to lose...more like 75-85. But I knew that 100 lbs to lose was right around the corner. I also have a High BP and sleep Apnea. Part of the band for me was Preventative. When I went to the "lesson" at the hospital the day after surgery with the other 6 new banders, they looked me up and down as the "skinny" one--that was a hoot! Of course, I am 56 and my metabolism is slower, I have "done" all the diets and I just couldn't afford Healthwise to wait.

Do some soul searching. Be ready for a new way of seeing food. It can no longer be a reward, entertainment, companion or solace. Spend time on this message board. Try to go to a support group. You're worth the time you invest to decide if this is right for you.

I would try LA Weightloss first. I did for my pre surgery weightloss and lost 55 pounds in 5 months! I still had the Lapband surgery (April 10th, 2008) to help me with the rest and to be my tool to keep it off! You don't have much to lose so just try diet & exercise! Normally they won't even consider surgery unless you're 100 lbs over weight or have serious health problems. Good luck!

-Dawn (Minnesota)

Although you are not that heavy in comparison to most lapBand patients, you may want to get the surgery as a preventative measure. I have seen some patients go through with the surgery having as little as 70 pounds to lose, because they knew they would have lifelong struggles managing their weight. And don't be petrified, the procedure is quick, and you are usually up and walking the same day! Only do it if you are sure that you are ready to live with this Band, and use it properly as a weight management tool. It really is a tool and not a magic button, so as long as you're willing to work with it and take care of it, you should be fine!! It really changes your behaviour towards eating.

This surgery was the easiest surgery I have ever had. That being said, restriction is key to weight loss. It took me about 6 months to get good restriction. If you can be patient with the band it will do the trick. Good luck with your decision.

I am 200lbs and have aroud 60 pounds to lose and i am having the surgery done. I know that I am quite a bit lighter than most who get the lapband but I am doing this more as a preventitive measure than anything. I have tried almost every diet out there and I will take off about twenty pounds only to gain it back plus an additional 10. I have no co-morbidities YET. I have been gaining at a rapid pace these last few months and I don't want to wait until I'm 250 lbs and need to lose 100 lbs. I don't want the co-morbidities, and I know if I don't do something now that I am definitely headed down that path. I am only 28 years old and I want to enjoy my life now when I'm young not 10 years from now when I have gained so much weight that it will take me years and years to get it off. I know the lapband is a lifestyle change and not an easy fix and I also realize it is a lot of work and i am ready for that now.

Just my two cents.....

I'm surprised you have found a Dr who will do this surgery with you only having to lose 50 lbs. My Dr was very strict and said I just barely met the requirements having to lose 96 lbs and had a BMI of 42. On the other hand I couldn't relate more to your comment of having this done while you are young and can enjoy life. I just had it at 55 and sure wish I could have gotten this done 30 yrs ago....

Good luck to you if you can have it done and honestly, it isn't bad at all. The percentage of bad cases are very low compared to those who don't have any problems. Because I have a problem with pain meds I only used Tylenol out of surgery and sure I had some pain but it was manageable and I was able to walk around and not just lie in bed and believe me, I'm not one to deal with pain very well.:)

Yvonne:thumbup:

There are many ways to lose 50 lbs as I am sure most of us on this board can tell you. I have lost 50 lbs lots of times it is keeping those lbs off and not gaining more that is the problem with me. If I were in your shoes I too would be concerned about having another surgery given the number of health issues you have recently experienced. I think it is very important for you to go into surgery with full confidence that it is the way you want to spend the rest of your life. Rather than rushing to surgery perhaps you can participate in this board and use it as a support to lose the weight and keep it off without surgery. Although it is LapBand Talk I am sure there are many who would provide support to help you lose the weight even if you do not choose the band.

Hi Tattoo'd:

i agree both with the idea that lap-band is pretty extreme if you "only" have 50 pounds to lose and 50 pounds is pretty dang hard to lose. But if you are this scared maybe you should put the decision off for awhile and try a more traditional approach. There's not a lot of info in your post. How long have you been overweight? Have you dieted over and over again only to regain the weight plus extra? Are you overweight from extreme overeating? Or did you gain weight from decreased activity while undergoing your big surgeries? (This is all stuff your surgeon should have discussed with you, but since it is unusual for someone 50 pounds overweight to be branded I am a little concerned.)

There's so much new technology (you may want to research and watch for the V Bloc - a few more years until it gets FDA approval but there's a trial going on in San Diego and there might be in your area) that waiting might be a good idea. The bad news is that often after surgery and/or kids you may need surgery to get your body back. :wink2:

Good luck and let us know what you decide.