Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

I'm back from the Ohio State University Medical Center. Yesterday I got up at 4am and drove with my wife to the hospital, we had to be there at 5am for a 7am surgery. I was the first one taken into addmissions. I was quickly taken up to the Bariatric center, taken to pre-op where I surrendered my clothes. I was told one of my Surgeon's colleaques would be up to give me a physical because mine was outdated. I waited an hour here to have a guy come up take my BP and listen to my chest. I was taken down to the operating room floor at 7:30 where I talked to the anethesioligist and her team. Nice people. Her nurse did a great job with my IV. I was told something was going into my IV to relax me and to take a couple deep breaths. Lights out, I wake up in recovery and there is a dentist there, they chipped one of my teeth pulling out the breathing tube. Then they tell me that they are taking out my catheter. (never had one of those) that felt odd and the irriation made urinating slight difficult for the next few hours. (not normally a problem for me) Sorry if that is TMI, but some guys might be interested. I'm in recovery about an hour before my room is ready. Shortly after getting my semi-private room my wife shows up, its good to see her face. She is a great help for the next 36 hours and will be for some time to come. Oh, I was given ice chips in recovery. My throat is a little sore from the tube. I'm quickly given some Jello and it tastes good. All during surgery I am given and the next 28 hours I'm given fluids wide open. I finally got them to turn it down so I wasn't having to go every 10 minutes once I proved that system was working. For the next 24 hours people kept asking my if I had passed gas. I never really did get as gassy as some people talk about and no shoulder pain. I'm still taking percocet for the moderate adominal pain that gets aggrivated when I get up or down. I was finally told to get out around 1pm the next day and here I am. My follow up is set for 2 weeks and my fill for 4 weeks after that.

Here is my story... It was Friday 12/12/08... My surgery was scheduled at 3pm. Around 11 I get a call from someone saying my surgeon is running ahead of schedule and asks if I could come in earlier. I told her I was planning on being there at 11:30am anyway. So my husband and my mother jump into the car and head to the hospital. I get there and my best friend meets us at the elevators. I had alot of support, I am so grateful for that. Well I go to check in and there is no one at the desk, so I ring the buzzer and no one comes so I wait about 10minutes and ring it again and a lady in the back comes in and asks me what I need. I tell her that I need to check in. She takes my name and tells me to have a seat. I am waiting 45minutes, so I go and ring the buzzer again and the rude woman approaches and tells me she is aware I am there and will get to me when she can because they are short staffed, like that is my fault. I tell her that I got a call to come in early and she says that my Dr. is always jumping the gun and I think to myself how unprofessional this is to hear this from her. So I go back and sit down and about 10 minutes later she comes to get me. She takes me back to the room and tells me to change and she will be back in five minutes, so I change and I am waiting about 15minutes. She finally comes in and we go over things and she goes to get my family. They come in and we talk and joke. The anesthesiologist comes and talks to me and then my Dr. pops in. He is a wonderful DR. by the way... Dr.Sneider... He leaves and I wait and then the nurse comes to get me, he puts cuffs on my legs to prevent blood clots and turns on the IV and next thing I know I see my family and then I am being woken up naked. The nurse covers me and I feel excruciating pain, so he gives me some medicine and it feels better. They have me step off the bed and get into a wheelchair which is no easy task. I go and get the upper GI and swallow the nastiest stuff, so they can watch it go down. Then I head back up and my nurse comes over, gives me more meds for the pain and takes me for a walk. Most of the pain is getting up and down. My family comes in and sits with me. My breathing is fine and I can hold down liquids and I get to go home around 8:30pm.

My surgery day went very smoothly. Arrived about 1 1/2 hours prior to surgery. The nurses were fantastic! They did all my pre-op blood work and got me ready. I honestly don't even remember going into the operating room. They had given me some kind of sedative, and I think it took really well!

After surgery I woke up in the recovery room and boy was I nauseous! In fact, "nausea" was the first word out of my mouth. They took care of that pretty quick with medication. I then asked if I'd been banded and got the good word.

I was moved into my room and transferred into the bed. I was pretty uncomfortable, but they gave me pain med that helped. Again, the nurses were fantastic and very attentive. I was fortunate to have my band check just a few hours afterwards, so I was started on liquids sooner than I expected. It was a nice surprise.

Because I had continued nausea because of the anesthesia, I pretty much stuck to Water. I slept off and on. I was not rushed to get out of bed and walk, but because I had read so much about how it helps, I requested they take me...which they did happily.

The following day was my checkout day. I waited until about 10 a.m. when my surgeon came in to see me. He told me all went very well. They wanted to monitor me a bit longer because of the nausea, so I stayed around a bit longer and just tried to keep walking and drinking.

I checked out and arrived back home around 2 p.m. From there it was just managing the pain and getting used to drinking Protein Drinks as well. Things have gone very smoothly.

Today was my 2nd day home and I feel 100% better than yesterday. The pain is more manageable and I even ventured out today to do some Christmas shopping for a couple of hours. That did me good because when I came back home I took some pain med, relaxed, and generally felt much, much better than I thought I would. I slept pretty good last night and anticipate that tonight will be even better!

well, let's see...i was banded on 12-2-08. i arrived at the hospital at 6:30am and my dr does things kinda crazy...he doesn't give each pt time slots for surgery so we all just wait. i waited with my hubby and bff (soooo tired and hungry) until 1pm and from there i was taken to the pre-prep room for vitals, iv and the lovely gown. i waited there until 7:45pm (yeah, it was a loooooong day). i was nervous due to it being my very first surgery! at 7:45pm i was taken to the main prep room to await the or and that lasted until 8:15pm. that was no biggie...pretty much the same except they put the leg massages on me to prevent blood clots and gave me the horrid shot of heprin which does the same thing--ouch, it burned (only for about 15 sec) and i let the nurse and others around me know it...lol! i am a big baby!!!! they wheeled me in the or at 8:15pm and i remember the nurse asking me if i was ok and that's all i reembered until i woke up in the hospital room around 1:30am. the sugery lasted from 8:30pm-10:40pm.

i was told that the anesthesia had a bad affect on me though. no one could wake me up so they had to call my hubby in the room to see if that would help. nope...it didn't! i was out cold! they said i was sitting up suddenly, crying, trying to scratch my face and wouldn't respond to anything! my poor hubby was freakin' out! anywho...finally around 1:30am i started coming out of it and all was fine and then i started throwing up (which is very common after anesthesia). it sucked but didn't last very long.

i slept until they wheeled me down to x-ray to do the yummy, barium swallow to check and see if everything was in the right place. i was still nauseated and dizzy at 8am so and it came right up so they wheeled me back to my room and got me a couple hrs later, and it went fine. i slept more (which i seemed to do a lot of my first week p/o). i had some pain in the port site but not too bad.

i could only have clear sugar-free liquids the first week p/o, week 2-4 same thing plus 90 grams p/day of Protein Shakes (yuck), week 5-6 "mushy" food--no "white" foods (potatoes, bread, dairy) only 6 grams or less of sugar p/serving plus 60 grams of Protein shakes p/day, week 7-8 soft foods plus 60 grams p/day protein shakes.

i was discharged at 5pm and went to bed right away. i woke up in pain and had to take the liquid meds they gave me (lortab)...put me right to sleep. days 2-4 were the most painful but tolerable. after that it wasn't bad at all. i am 2 weeks p/o and feeling 100%.

My surgery was today. Had to be at hospital @ 0515 and I was put in a preop room abt 0615. I was given the surgical gown, answered a few questions, and watched the morning news program for a few minutes. I was then taken on the stretcher to the surgery holding area, met with anesthesiologist, spoke with my surgeon and they placed my IV. I wasn't there long, maybe 20 minutes. Then on to the OR room. I transferred to the bed, the compression sleeves were put on my legs, and i was hooked up to the monitors. My nurse anesthesiologist told me she was going to give me soe med thru my IV and the next thing I knew I was in recovery!! They give meds for nausea and pain automatically and I had no problems. I was back in the room with my husband by 0915 - 0930. My doctor required me to stay until 1400 so it was afternoon before I went home. I have been walking around the house, sipping fluids. I did have to take some paid med when I arrived home, but none since. The pain in my shoulder has gone. All in all I think I had a wonderful experience.

Hi,

My surgery day was yesterday 12/19/08. It went extremely well. I arrived at the hospital at 6:30 and was quickly sent to change. Went to the prep room where a nurse started my IV (first shot, no pain), and gave my an injection of Lovenox (blood thinner) in my thigh. I was wisked off to the waiting area where they asked me questions about my last liquids, and meds that I had etc. The doctor came in to greet me, and the anestheseologist said his was putting something in my IV to make me a little drowsy, well next thing I knew I was in the bed in my room after surgery. I don't remember going to the operating room, I don't remember coming from the operating room, and I don't know how I got in the bed in my room.

I was not in pain, just a little discomfort and my throat felt sore. I slept for quite awhile, then I was up and about walking around the hospital every 3hrs. and using my lung machine that you blow into to keep your lungs clear. Everyone was talking about how well I was doing, and that I didn't look like a had surgery, even the doctor commented about how well I was doing. Then I was taken down to x-ray to make sure my band was properly in place, and I was asked to drink this nasty liquid to make sure I had no obstructions.

The following day I was given discharge instructions, and then showed a video on how to do my Lovenox injections. I have to use this for 20 days, since my BMI was over 50. This medication prevents blood clots. Afterwards, they came to get me with a wheel chair, and I was taken to my car and my husband and daughter brought me home.

However, after getting home I was feeling so well I decided to pop in a Weigh Watchers walking tape and do the first 10 minutes. Well what did I do that for, walking wasn't the problem but I decided to do the arm exercises and lift them over my head. Well, after three lifts that was it, now I'm in pain. I hope I did not cause serious injury. I took my pain medicine and it took some of the edge off, but it still hurts. It is now one o'clock in the morning, and I'm afraid to go to bed. If it is still hurting in the morning I will call the doctor. So, whatever you do don't do anything strenuous, only walking!! I don't know what I was thinking.

I could kick myself for ruining my perfect surgery day:tongue_smilie:.

My surgery was yesterday! We got to the hospital around 6 am and walked to pre-op. I got labs drawn (my veins are impossible to find), got my IV in, met with my doctor and the anesthesiologist. Then they wheeled me to the room ... which was freezing! But they covered me with lovely warm towels.

I remember the anesthesiologist telling me she was putting some relaxing meds in my IV and then I remember the oxygen mask. The next thing I knew, I was being woken up in post-op. I was sore and SO thirsty. I was kind of weepy from the anesthesia and finally got a little sponge to suck on. It made me nauseous, but I was so thirsty I didn't care.

After a while, they wheeled me to my room. I got a little Water and laid down for a couple hours. They got me up to walk and said I was doing really well. I sat and slept off and on, walked a little more, and laid down again. I stayed overnight, which was nice, despite nurses coming in every couple hours to check on me, draw labs, or give me a shot.

I was discharged this morning and got home around 11. Luckily my drive home was only 5 minutes or so. I've been sitting in my recliner today, getting up every couple hours, and trying to drink a lot of liquids. I got through a Protein Drink, some water, and a few spoonfuls of Soup (I'm allowed to be on full liquids). I took a shower earlier, and it's so nice to feel clean!

I'm still pretty sore - like a super intense ab workout. My shoulder pain is very minimal. When I feel it, I just ask my mom to rub my shoulder and that helps a lot. Actually, my neck hurts from the hospital bed a lot more than any gas pains I have. I'm hoping I'll feel a bit better tomorrow and that I'll be able to move around some more.

My mom has been a great help to me! She's taking care of my dogs here for me, as I can't bend down fully yet, and can only carry 1 of my dogs. He is only 7 lbs, but the other is 23 and I can't carry him yet. I'm going to try to sleep in my bed tonight and not the recliner, as it's freezing here and my downstairs is pretty cold even with the heat on. I'll pile up the pillows before bed!

My pain overall has been pretty minimal and getting better as the day goes on. Hopefully within the next couple days I'll be doing much better!

I could tell my story, but it is so similar to others, it seems repetitive. Banded 22, feeling ok. Actually hungry. I was told not to recline and to walk a lot to prevent clots. Been doing ok, but I get these burst of pain up high. I think it is gas trying to work its way out. I am burping and passing gas ok. It makes me feel kind of gross that I feel better everytime I break wind! What relief.

What is hard is drinking everthing they want me too. I have been working on a 8oz shake for over 2 hrs now. How am I going to get it all in is beyond me...

Congrads everyone!

I was banded on Dec 23rd at a local Medical Center by Dr Smith of Pueblo Colorado. It was a perfect day in many ways. My close friend drove me to surgery at 6.30am and hung out with me as i went through pre=op prep, We had a real giggle with the nurses and anethesiologist. Doc was running a little late, surgery was scheduled for 8.30 and I didn't get in till 10am (the previous procedure ran longer than expected). But I was cozy warm in my blankets, footies and leg warmers. The anesthesiologist came in to give me my sedative, and i barely remember being taken to the OR, then next thing i knew i was sitting up in recovery asking what time it was. It was 1pm. I had a room with a view, and it had snowed a good 4 inches during my time there. My friend came into visit with me as i recovered, and i had onep ain med shot, which made me so loopy, it was highly entertaining for everyone. I was home by 3pm, same day, and still a little loopy on the pain meds, so i slept on and off the rest of the afternoon. My daughter (5 yr old) was waiting at home to greet me, with grandma. She was so relieved to see me, she kissed all my incision sites and gave me a tender hug. That made the day perfect all over again.

I am now 1 week post-op, had zero pain since surgery day, other than being a little tender at the port, but that has gone away. No hunger yet, but have progressed to full liquids - and i am enjoying FLAVOR in my mouth. I have lost 5 lbs since surgery too, which surprised me a little after a lot of the stories on here about not losing right after surgery.

I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful story to tell, and hope this encourages others to move ahead with surgery without fear.

God Bless. Nicci:thumbup:

I got to the hospital at 5:00 and waited about a half an hour to register. I was then taken to a surgery prep room and had to give my husband, Andy, my bag with my clothes, wallet, etc. The prep room had about 15 other people in curtained areas waiting for various surgeries. I was weighed and asked to give a urine test and to change into a gown and booties. The nurse sort of kidded with me about my pregnancy test…acting like I was pregnant…with my nerves I didn’t think this was funny!

Eventually I was given an IV. The nurse said I was dehydrated; she had a hard time finding a vein. I have a total phobia of needles and thank goodness she numbed me before inserting the IV. The IV was finally inserted into my upper arm. About a half hour later I met my anesthesiologist and 2 surgery nurses. A few minutes later my surgeon (who at this point I know very well) came in to say hello. I was given a blood thinner shot in my stomach, which didn’t hurt. I was given some anti-anxiety medicine through my IV and Andy was allowed back briefly before I was wheeled to surgery.

The scariest part of the day for me was being wheeled into the surgery room. The medicine hadn’t taken full effect yet and I was scared seeing the room and all the instruments. I was asked scoot over to the surgery table. The nurses attached arm rests onto the table that extended my arms perpendicular. My legs and arms were strapped down. That’s the last thing I remember about surgery.

I woke up to a woman with a thick Caribbean accent yelling “Samantha! Samantha!” I opened my eyes and everything was blurry. I was sore and my throat felt dry and rough. I saw my surgeon and I vaguely remember talking to him. I was given oxygen and told to sleep. I was in a recovery room similar to the prep room, with about 15 other patients. This was the hardest part of everything. I was extremely dizzy and confused. I stayed in this room for about 2 hours.

I was eventually wheeled to a large private room and finally got to see Andy again. I felt much better although I was very sore. I stayed in this room from about noon until 6 p.m. Nurses kept coming in with medicine for my IV. I struggled to turn from side to side to sleep (I can’t sleep on my back). I got up to go to the bathroom once but I was very dizzy. I could hear ringing in my ears and felt like I was going to faint. I slept on and off and luckily Andy stayed right by my side and fed me ice chips and small doses of Crystal Light. A couple of hours later I went to the bathroom and felt much better. My surgeon came to visit and so did his nurse. They told me that the band is very loose on me; apparently my stomach had shrunk a great deal from the week long liquid diet. My surgeon gave Andy pictures of the band and my surgery (I can’t bear to look at them).

I was ready to be discharged around 3 p.m. although the nurse on duty couldn’t get my surgeon on the phone for discharge orders. By this time I was feeling fine except for the acute soreness. I was ready to go home and didn’t want to spend the night! I was given a dinner of broth, apple juice and cherry sugar-free Jell-o around 5:30. By 6:00 I was finally discharged. I didn’t even need a wheelchair to get out of the hospital!

Last night I took 3 teaspoons of Loritab liquid pain killer every 4 hrs. I didn’t sleep well. It feels much better to sit up than to lay down. My shoulder pain is almost excruciating. I don’t know if it’s from gas or not, I suspect it is so I’ve been taking 3 Gas-X strips every 6 hours or so. I can drink liquids just fine. I feel like I did a million sit-ups yesterday and that I’ve been hit by a truck! Other than the soreness and no appetite, I’m fine. My surgeon is supposed to call today to ok a shower, then I’m going to take a walk.

Thanks for reading my story, I wanted to share with others and sort of keep a diary so that I’ll remember the day. Even though I’m in pain, I have a feeling that every day will get easier and that this New Year will bring a lot of change for me.

12/18 for me.

Had to be there at 6am....I saw cute brown rabbits in the OR lights, (amused the entire OR staff) then it was time to wake up! Home by 1:30 pm. It really is a piece of cake,and I have never had surgery before! Good luck to all. Childbirth (x3) should have been this easy :Yawn:

Hi all! I am finally banded and I thought this day would never come. I can't beleive it. I had to report to the hospital at 9am yesterday. I figured out pretty quick that since my surgery was considered "elective", I had to be last and the dr. was already running late. Luckily, I had a good book with me. So I had a gown and a warm blanket and I just waited, and waited. 9,10,11,12 (then it was lunchtime so everyone left to go eat), then at 1, a new shift came on board. It was a little difficult because now I had to answer the same silly questions to my new nurse, nurse asst., anstegelogist, etc. It was getting on my nerves.

I also learned pretty quick that some nurses have very little patience with weight-loss surgery patients. I do not feel I got as good of care as the others. Some were very happy and supportive, others had a ho-hum-another one attitude.

I got my IV and the leg warmers for the clots, then waited some more. I saw them wheel my friend in and I knew I would be next after her so I preparing myself mentally. After 15 minutes, another scrub nurse came out and wanted me right away because they opened a new operating room. Quickly, I recieved my "feel good" medicine in my IV and off we went. In the cold, scary operating room, the staff was opening the instruments and the nurse was trying to get me to breath into the mask. It seemed like forever before I was out. Almost immediately they were calling my name and I said "Is it in?" I had cheated so bad, I thought my liver was too fatty. And they said yes. After about 2 hours in recovery, they rolled me upstairs to my room.

This is where I think I made the right decision. I had arranged for my dr. to keep me overnight because I did not want my hubby to drag my kids out on New Years Eve to pick me up. (By now its dark and six o'clock). The dr. said "see how you feel and if you want to go home, go home." When I saw my private room, over looking the gorgeous Manatee River in the Florida sun, I decided to stay. Last night was horrible. The nurse had to assist me in the simplest of tasks and despite all the anti-nausea medicine, everytime I stood up to walk, or go to the bathroom, I had seriuos dry heave convulsions. My body wanted to throw up so bad but nothing was coming out. It was horrible and I do not think I could have handled it at home. I still had an IV so I the nurses gave me pain and anti-nausea right in my IV and it worked immediately. I remained in the hospital until 2pm. today. I am home now, still in immense pain and soreness in the shoulders. I can't eat more that 3 sips of Soup or Jello, then I fill up. I just hope it will just get better with time.

Hello all,

I was banded this past Tuesday December 30th at 8AM. Got to the hospital at 6am, got prepped and answered all the basic questions... shot in the tummy to prevent blood clots.. booties that squeezed my legs. Then I saw my surgeon and asked him to place my port on my right, since I sleep on my left and he marked it right on my belly! Next thing I know, I am waking up in my room- I have no idea how some of you beg to go home! The staff was very kind to me and I was well cared for. I stayed until 6PM the next day.

I am on clear liquids- the gas is not fun, but I am getting by. Hot showers and sleep feel the best. When I drink broth, I feel queasy, so I have been sticking to Water and apple juice- diluted. AND Gas-x strips.

OH- my doctor also found and removed a benign tumor from my liver that he discovered when he was in there, so I've got that going for me! :biggrin:

Good luck to all and Happy New Year!

~Stephanka917:thumbup:

Hello all,

I was banded this past Tuesday December 30th at 8AM. Got to the hospital at 6am, got prepped and answered all the basic questions... shot in the tummy to prevent blood clots.. booties that squeezed my legs. Then I saw my surgeon and asked him to place my port on my right, since I sleep on my left and he marked it right on my belly! Next thing I know, I am waking up in my room- I have no idea how some of you beg to go home! The staff was very kind to me and I was well cared for. I stayed until 6PM the next day.

I am on clear liquids- the gas is not fun, but I am getting by. Hot showers and sleep feel the best. When I drink broth, I feel queasy, so I have been sticking to Water and apple juice- diluted. AND Gas-x strips.

OH- my doctor also found and removed a benign tumor from my liver that he discovered when he was in there, so I've got that going for me! :thumbup:

Good luck to all and Happy New Year!

~Stephanka917:thumbup:

Hey Stephanka971

Glad to hear your day went well. I was banded the day before you. Much the same story as yours!! I agree, I was happy to stay in the hospital. All of the nursing staff was wonderful. The worst part was the pre-op stuff..IV, questions, etc. I got a shot and had surgery at 10:30, was out by 11:20. I had NO PAIN until about 7pm that night, then they pumped me full of morphine and I was fine!! Then on Tuesday night when I came home the gas hit me..oh my. I've been using Mylicon infant drops..I think I od'd on that stuff..but it really helped. Today is Saturday and I'm fabulous..I'm about to eat some egg salad! Good luck!

Hi Lyd. I am glad you feel wonderful! Thats great to hear. You can have egg salad? I thought everyone is on a two week liquid before the "mushy" stage. I guess it depends on the dr.?