Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hit "goal" mentally at 4 months -

I had my third fill on May 15, I am just a bit over three months out. I am at 4 cc in a 10cc band and I feel that I may have hit the sweet spot. Month one lost 16 lbs - easy, month two 6 lbs – not as easy, but during month three I felt no restriction. I ate more than I should have, but for the most part I was making excellent post band choices. Given that I still lost 3 lbs in month three. At first I was a bit disappointed, but then I thought, wait, that is 25 lbs total. When was the last time I lost 25 lbs in three months and let’s face it, did not gain 3 lbs? I realize now that this is going to be slower than I originally thought, but who cares, as long as I am going in the right direction.

I really feel month 3 has been the most valuable month. It is when I really, I mean really realized this is just a tool and not a cure. When following the rules, eating 8-10 bites of high quality Protein, I am satisfied, don’t have the urge to eat more, and don’t even think about food until about 3-4 hours later. When I do feel hunger, it is this annoying thing that I first thought was gas, then I said, oh, that is my stomach, better eat some protein (like a string cheese) and the feeling is gone. I am then back focused on what I am doing. Is this how skinny people feel all the time? I also have realized that I am still “dieting” everyday. I still have to make the right food choices, but the band makes choosing easier.

Even though I only lost 3 lbs last month, I learned the most. Now with my recent fill, I am empowered even more and have set the month 4 goal at 6 lbs. If it is only 3 I will be fine with that as well. And guess what? I am not just losing but still living. To think of all the times I have dieting feeling tortured, avoiding social situations and dreaming of hitting goal one day and being done with this. I feel mentally I am at goal, and the rest of me will catch up during the next year.

Thanks for letting me share.

Thanks for this! I have only had 1 fill and do not feel the restriction I expected. I had surgery on 4/1 and have lost 20 lbs. However, most of that was immediately following the surgery so I have begun to get somewhat impatient. I have re-read some things about food choices and am not due to go into the docs again until 6/5 to determine whether or not I need another fill. Your words are encouraging!

I, too, have been feeling discouraged, but recently realized this is just a tool. I really do still have to work. It's frustrating because my dad had lapband before me and in 1 year he lost 100 lbs....10 lbs per month...and he has lost an additional 40 lbs since. I lost 25 lbs right away and now I have lost a total of 34 lbs and my surgery was on 3/10/08. I was mostly discouraged because I hired a personal trainer 3 weeks ago and in the first two weeks I only lost 2.5 lbs. I figured with the surgery and working out 3-5 times a week (with a trainer twice a week for an hour each), that I would do double what I was doing on surgery alone. Then the realization hit me this morning when I put on a pair of pants that were tight this winter. I am sitting here at work today and can't stop pulling my waist out to remind myself that sometimes it's not just the lbs that drop but the inches! I am going to remeasure myself this weekend. I didn't measure before surgery...and I should have....but I can at least compare to my measurements before my fitness plan started because my trainer took measurements for me.

It's nice to "settle in", isn't it?

Although I'm pretty sure I will never be done, that I will always have to have a care about what I eat or don't eat. It's fine by me.:crying: