Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is plastic surgery inevitable?

I went to shop for pyjamas yesterday because I'm going away with two friends (didn't end up getting any as I hate them and they were all hideous) but standing in the full length mirror in the changing room I noticed how saggy my inner thighs were. And although I was thrilled to see that I was totally wrong about the size 26 (waaaay too big) and into a 22, it left me a little down.

Are there any exercises that can help with this? I am weight training and working out 5 times a week, but if there is any exercise I can do to minimize the sagging, I'd appreciate it. I kind of thought (but hoped not) that I would have to get a Tummy Tuck or something, but I don't want to have to have a thigh lift too. But if they really sag, I'm still not going to want to be seen in a bathing suit, no matter how thin I get.

I just feel that I've spent so much on this surgery, but it is for my health, but I'm not sure I can justify, even to myself, spending thousands again on vanity.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mary

I went to shop for pyjamas yesterday because I'm going away with two friends (didn't end up getting any as I hate them and they were all hideous) but standing in the full length mirror in the changing room I noticed how saggy my inner thighs were. And although I was thrilled to see that I was totally wrong about the size 26 (waaaay too big) and into a 22, it left me a little down.

Are there any exercises that can help with this? I am weight training and working out 5 times a week, but if there is any exercise I can do to minimize the sagging, I'd appreciate it. I kind of thought (but hoped not) that I would have to get a Tummy Tuck or something, but I don't want to have to have a thigh lift too. But if they really sag, I'm still not going to want to be seen in a bathing suit, no matter how thin I get.

I just feel that I've spent so much on this surgery, but it is for my health, but I'm not sure I can justify, even to myself, spending thousands again on vanity.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mary

It all depends on you, your genetics, how overweight you are when you start, how stretched is your skin, how much elastin do you have... the more you have to lose, the older you are, the paler skin you have the more likely you are to want to have PS when you are done... you don't have to get it and I know more bandsters who haven't had plastic than I know who have... I know people who have lost over 150 lbs and didn't have any plastic they were happy with their bodies.

Here is what will help a bit, toned muscles, Vitamin e cream.. but they are just surface items.

Me I was fine with my thighs until I had a tummy tuck several years ago... and since then I have wanted my thighs done I have postponed for my own reasons work, family health etc.. they will get done when I have 6 weeks in a row that I am not traveling somewhere... and my family is in good health so I don't have to worry about someone taking care of multiple people and my job allows for me to take time and not be on deadlines!

Good luck... after my thighs I will consider my arms and maybe an ass lift... I love my flat tummy and perky boobs best thing I ever did.

Heather

Thanks for your honesty Heather. When I was 24, I lost about 100 pounds and everything just snapped back into place. This time I'm 40 pounds heavier and 24 years older! I don't think I'll be so lucky this time round.

Too bad they couldn't just pull at one point, stretch it all out and snip off the excess! :woot:

A flat belly. I don't know where I'd rest my hands! (but I can't wait to find out)

Mary

I was told it takes a good year for your elasticity (sp?) to go as far as it will go. So after 1 year of loosing all your weight and your thighs aren't where they should be,,,chances are they won't ever be.

I have heard of grapeseed oil helping,,,thinking its the same as Vitamin E tho.

I have two friends who had the apron surgery done after they both lost more then 125 lbs. And I know both wish they could afford to get their arms done,,,and neck...and legs,,,and butt. I have another friend who never had to have surgery,,,not even the apron done.

Angie

Thanks Angie,

Well, I'm going to work as hard as I can and hope for the best. I'd rather not have to go through any operations, and I have a way to go before I find out (over 80 pounds still to lose) so I'll be crossing my fingers and putting oil on my skin! :confused_smile:

Mary

Its not inevitable - I dont *have* to have surgery. I got out of this pretty well for an almost 100lb loss, but could I look better with some surgery - heck yeah!

But dressed, I look absolutely fine. Its just naked and on the beach that I worry about which bits show. Out of all if it my boobs came out the worst, totally lost volume, all in the top of the breast so I cant even really push them up and together to create cleavage, its just flaccid saggy skin, looks like a plucked chicken.

The rest of me, my skin is maybe 1/2 a size too big for me. It doesnt hang, I have a flat stomach, but I'm just a bit "soft" all over, if I had lots of money, I would definitely go a lower body lift, just because I'm a perfectionist. But I dont and I wont. If the worst thing that ever happens to me is I have to cover up a bit on the beach (which I dont, I just dont care) then I'm a lucky person.

You just have to wait and see how it all ends up I think, 99.9% sure you will have some loose skin but it may not be that bad at all.

I'm sure that I'll be able to live with it, after all I'll never be 30 again! (okay, I'm not going to see 40 either!:()

After looking at those silly magazines in the check out yesterday, even the rich and famous don't look grand in a bathing suit! So I'm sure I can live with it too!

Mary

I'm sure that I'll be able to live with it, after all I'll never be 30 again! (okay, I'm not going to see 40 either!:thumbup:)

After looking at those silly magazines in the check out yesterday, even the rich and famous don't look grand in a bathing suit! So I'm sure I can live with it too!

Mary

It really is so individual who gets what and wants what for PS.... some people don't care about the sagging skin me I am shallow I care.... I would rather have a tighter body enhanced with PS.

It is so individual

Does anyone know when it is a good time to have PS. I am half way to goal and my arms are flapping around like sails on a sailing ship and my pannus is hanging so far down that I have to lift it to sit properly. Gross I know, but a reality. anyone have any ideas.

hi ya Doddie,,,

I know both my friends had to wait a year after they had lost their weight,,,there is a good chance the elasticity in your skin will do its job and there will be less to tuck or cut away.

Thanks Angie but I won't hold my breath as I am 64 now and if I reach goal in one to two years, I don't think I will have much elastic left LOL. Not much now.

I hope you are right Angie, as I don't want to lose all this weight to still be embarrassed to be seen in a bathing suit because of saggy thighs or stomach! I guess I'm more vain than I thought!

I'm going to try lunges (when I sort my poor back out!)

Mary

Ah Mary! Hope your back is better soon,,,and yes lunges are great,,,so are just sqwats.

I lost 67 lbs about 10 years ago,,,and my legs and arms were great,,,I got into power lifting and so they didn't really go down in size,,,but got really toned and defined with muscle. BUT OMG my belly was disgusting. It looked like a deflated balloon. Felt like one too,,,well one filled with some Water...

And I did everything,,,I was doing power crunches on some horrible machine that you add weight...I figured if I could of gotten rid of all the skin,,,and more fat I would of had some muscle...ha ha ok everyone would or could say the same. I read alot on skin,,,and benefits of what works and doesn't. Grapeseed oil sticks out..

And did that work for you? You talk in the past tense, so did you end up having a Tummy Tuck? Or just live with it?

I'm exercising, and doing skin brushing and hoping for the best.

Mary