Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with this feeling

Just wondered if anyone had an ache when swallowing liquids almost feels like a lodged gas bubble..lots of small burps or hicups follow ? I know I am tight right now I had a fill last friday, I can eat solids ( very little )but there is an ache feeling when something passes through the band. Thanks so much for responding :thumbup:

yea i have had that feeling after a fill. i would try to barely open my mouth to drink because i wanted to let as little air in as possible. you might need a slight unfill. i was stubborn i stuck it out until it loosened a bit.

Hey there, how long ago where you banded? How big of a band and how much of a fill? All that factors in with the band. Let me know. Hope all goes well.

Usually after a fill, I have to be careful not to take gulps of water/liquid. To make sure I am taking small sips and swallowing - otherwise it almost feels like food getting stuck.

But if it has been a week since your fill, you should have loosened up a little (unless you are gulping, in which case take smaller swallows).

Are you able to get down any kind of solids?

You do want to make sure that you aren't too tight, because eventually you can become dehydrated if you aren't getting enough liquids in.

If in doubt, always call your patient advocate/nurse at your surgeon's office and ask if you could be too tight or if its just a sign of drinking too fast.

I should of included more info... I was banded June of 07, had a fill in Aug, March and one last Friday Exactly one week ago. I have 6 ccs in my 10 cc band. As I sit here this morning sipping my potein shake it aches terrible when the iquid passes, it feels as though it is food being stuck. Sometimes I can eat solids sometimes it gets caught. Strange but I never have a problem with salad, I would think it would be a food that would clog, but other things are hard to get down. I usually end up having to be sick to unclog. It happens a couple times a week. I am thinking I may be to tight and should get a little taken out, I am getting plenty of liquid down that is not a problem, at night I can drink really well. I feel stubborn to get some taken out because I needed more when I was at 5 ccs. I am thinking that maybe 5.5 would be a good number instead of 6. I just wondered if any of you live on a daily basis feeling this way..very tight ?

Thank so much

I have felt that way too after a fill. Pressure of sorts when drinking and then the need to burp etc.

The Protein shake may be too thick.

I'm the queen of belching, burping, and drain-like "gurgling". I told my doc about it and she said I'm just tight. I'm living with it until I lose this last 40 - then I'm loosening!!

I had to tell my whole damn yoga class this week that I may be a noisy Dead Pose person...lying flat makes me gurgle like a drain. Very embarrassing but I refuse to be embarrassed by it. I say excuse me and try to burp into my mouth. It'll end soon :)

I have it too but I am not worried about being too tight. Cold Water can give me that feeling and i know that isn't too thick. I go slow on drinking in the morning but I can eat a banana or yogurt . . . you would think that they would be more difficult than cold Water, go figure.

I still eat healthy food without sticking to mushies but I just have to be careful with the Proteins and some veggies as far as time and chewing. I can drink just fine at night and I get tons of water in the second half of the day. However, I definitely feel that sensation in the morning and also if it is something really cold.

I should of included more info... I was banded June of 07, had a fill in Aug, March and one last Friday Exactly one week ago. I have 6 ccs in my 10 cc band. As I sit here this morning sipping my potein shake it aches terrible when the iquid passes, it feels as though it is food being stuck. Sometimes I can eat solids sometimes it gets caught. Strange but I never have a problem with salad, I would think it would be a food that would clog, but other things are hard to get down. I usually end up having to be sick to unclog. It happens a couple times a week. I am thinking I may be to tight and should get a little taken out, I am getting plenty of liquid down that is not a problem, at night I can drink really well. I feel stubborn to get some taken out because I needed more when I was at 5 ccs. I am thinking that maybe 5.5 would be a good number instead of 6. I just wondered if any of you live on a daily basis feeling this way..very tight ?

Thank so much

DO NOT MAKE YOUR SELF SICK ON PURPOSE!!!!! i had my band put in july '07 and never really got the hang of really SLOWING down while i ate and ended up getting sick frequently. in november i got something stuck and started throwing up (not on purpose) and couldn't stop. this was on a monday by thursday i was admitted to the hospital and had to have an emergency operation because my band had slipped and i couldn't swallow ANYTHING! it was the worst and most frightening experience of my life! and it was all because of throwing up..so PLEASE do not MAKE yourself throw up, get your band loosened and save yourself a lot of trouble! :cool2:

im at 22 days since my banding and doing great, i also had terrible gas for the first 2 weeks, on my 3rd day home i thought i felt like i had a knife in my throat everytime I ate or drank, i sat on the edge of the bed and put my hands against my stomach and rocked forward a few times pushing against my stomach and BAM!!! I burped for 20 minutes straight, and i'm talking 10-20 seconds at a crack, now when i feel the gas building i just do the same thing and it pushes it right out!!

The feeling you are describing sounds like you have good restriction. That said - you should be able to drink comfortably in the long run so have some taken out if it doesnt get better - good luck!