Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banding through HSE Galway

Hi Ladies,

Just found this site on a reccomendation from another site. Its amazing to see so many other women giving such great support to each other. My story is basically i was referred by my doctor to the weight loss clinic in galway to have a series of test done to see if i was a suitable candidate fof the Gastric banding. Throughout a series of 12 tests they discovered i had a blocked gall bladder which had 42 gall stones, a cyst on my kidney and something to do with a hernia. But after passing all the other stuff like BMI and psych evaluation i thought it would be just a matter of time before the op only to find out the HSE wont fund the op i was gutted i cant afford to go private and having read some horror stories regarding the ACS and seeing the prime time special i decided to avoid that option. Anyway i got a phone call on 31st march from the department to come in and meet Mr McAnena as funding was granted if the candidate passed all requirements please dont ask what they were as the other candidates and we all had diff requirements. So spoke o McAnena and he told me i would be having my gall bladder out before the banding. and that he would do the first surgery on the 7th april and the banding on the 21st iwas SHOCKED couldnt believe it would be actually happening. And whats more in the event i am left with loose skin as part of the whole thing if i loose the recccomended amount of weight that 6-12 months later i can have the cosmetic surgery to remove the skin etc.

So as you can guess i have had the op i started weight on 21st April was 19.2 i am currently at 17.9 i am having first fill on 19th april. The after care was amazing. After first week had staples removed, then met with Psychologist this week to see how things are going. Fill on 19th Consultant on 20th and from what i know they will be monitoring are progress for the next 2 years, the other thing is this is actually a test run on behalf of the HSE. If the consultants can prove a success by us the HSE will roll out this service all over ireland.

But i havent looked back since i got it, not denying but this was not easy. but a lot of good things have happened for me due to the weight loss. its so funny though its a pain trying to walk around office and yank back up my trousers that were once welded to me!!!!:thumbdown:

Have to go now as been trying to write this email for last hour as boss is lurking around.:w00t:

Hi Corrib. It's me (from RC). Glad to see you dropped in. Lucky you getting the op with the HSE! Glad to see this is becoming an option for people in Ireland. How did you hear about it? Was it through your GP? My GP is not supportive of the band so probably wouldn't refer anyne for it but at least there might be more options available to people rather than paying for the op privatley.

Keep in touch as this site is great for advice and support.

Hi Corrib,

Welcome to the site and congratulations on having the band done and especially being done by the HSE. I am so thrilled that this is becoming available to people in Ireland safely and with all the aftercare and help that they need. You are really blazing the trail for all who go after you. Well done and I wish you nothing but success with your band and the great team you have working with you.:(

Hi Ladies,

Just a quick reply i am at work so have to be careful not to get caught, but i got my first fill yesterday of 4mls very traumatic when i saw the needle i actually fainted which i never do. i have no threshold for anything like that. so i have another appt today with Mcanena today getting a bit tired of all these appts. anyway better go.

Hi All

Newbie here

Based in the Midlands and would love to get "banded"

Have looked up cosmetic surgery and it looks like they aren't doing it anymore.

Have also received info from the crowd in Belgium

Where did ye all get it done?

Whats all this about fills ?, noticed on the belgium one its €120 per fill - how often do you get this done ??

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

As another poster said GP not helpful at all so have to go private and would prefer the cheapest and best option.

Thanks in advance.

hey there all.....

Tara 20 from Cork here.... got banned on the 28/01/08 in Prague with a full package for 5,500e this included flights, op, hotel for 7 days, also 2 years after care inc all the fills that i need ect.... they were a pleasure to have surgery with but i am not too happy with the fills as its almost impossible for me to go over so i have put on all the weight i lost :smile:

con-grads on the HSE funding you, i have battled with my weiht since i was 7 n even on anti-depressents over it and my GP would not put me forward even though i tried everything, i am a college student now with a massive loan out all because some GP'S think that u are just lazy..... :wink2:

Hi Ladies,

Well had the first fill on monday and oh my god it was so scarey, all was grand while doing the barium swallow and then when they got me to lie down to put the solution in i nearly lost my life when i saw the needle it all went down hill from there i have no stomach for this stuff!!

Anyway after a fainting episode she got 4 mls of solution in and they kept telling me that if i want more to just ring the reception and ask for another appointment. I really have to say the care and aftercare is amazing. The next day i had to come back and meet the consultant Mr Mcanaea who is so lovely and lena who i also meet. i am not back for 3 months but if he told me aswell is i need more fill to go back whenever.

Its been strange since got it filled. before hand eating was sore as the food would push its way through the band and hurt and then i would bring it back up myself. but now i dont have that prob its great i get filled so quickly i can only eat 3 table spoons of Cereal for Breakfast and i am stuffed i have no real appetite for anything yet whihch is great so since the 21st april i have lost 12 kgs which is 26lbs my starting was122kgs so i know i have a good bit to go but i have even noticed other things like for the first time my nails have grown strong and even my hair has a great shine and once where i would only get a day out of i now get four without having to wash it. Although i still shower everyday!!!

But i would urge anyone contimplating it to go through the HSE as part of the plan if your left with loose skin after loosing the weight you will be entitled to have cosmetic surgery.

Hi Ladies,

Well had the first fill on monday and oh my god it was so scarey, all was grand while doing the barium swallow and then when they got me to lie down to put the solution in i nearly lost my life when i saw the needle it all went down hill from there i have no stomach for this stuff!!

Anyway after a fainting episode she got 4 mls of solution in and they kept telling me that if i want more to just ring the reception and ask for another appointment. I really have to say the care and aftercare is amazing. The next day i had to come back and meet the consultant Mr Mcanaea who is so lovely and lena who i also meet. i am not back for 3 months but if he told me aswell is i need more fill to go back whenever.

Its been strange since got it filled. before hand eating was sore as the food would push its way through the band and hurt and then i would bring it back up myself. but now i dont have that prob its great i get filled so quickly i can only eat 3 table spoons of Cereal for Breakfast and i am stuffed i have no real appetite for anything yet whihch is great so since the 21st april i have lost 12 kgs which is 26lbs my starting was122kgs so i know i have a good bit to go but i have even noticed other things like for the first time my nails have grown strong and even my hair has a great shine and once where i would only get a day out of i now get four without having to wash it. Although i still shower everyday!!!

But i would urge anyone contimplating it to go through the HSE as part of the plan if your left with loose skin after loosing the weight you will be entitled to have cosmetic surgery.

hey there,

thats great news corrib i am delighted for you.

Can i ask where do you get your refils done?

thanks.

Hi Corrib,

I am delighted that the H.S.E. is doing this trial and thatyou are benefitting from it!

It's good because it means that we are part of a new way of dealing with obesity.

I am booked for surgery in Belgium in two weeks time and am happy(?) to pay...I'm too old to start getting into a battle with the H.S.E and probably get turned down because of my age/weight etc.

I 'could' back out of this op. but at least it will be my decision.

Though,I would really like to have the range of tests/surgery/care that you are having ....you are obviously getting the ''very best" possible treatment.

Lucky you,

Damienne

Hi Corrib,

Delighted that you're doing so well and don't worry you will get used to the fills, although I can see how daunting it must have seemed having the fill done under Flouro.:(

You should point your Dr's in the direction of LBT so they can see for themselves the issues and aftercare that's needed by so many of us here in Ireland who have already been banded not to mention the amount of people out there currently looking for information on it.

Best of luck again with your band and I continue to be impressed with the great team you have to help you on your way.:drool::smile:

Hi all am only starting out. Just waiting now for a referal from my doctor.Was at my diabetic clinic on tuesday and doc said he would refer me. Hoping to have it done in Galway.Any advice anyone, how long from first visit to op.

Hi All

Newbie here

Based in the Midlands and would love to get "banded"

Have looked up cosmetic surgery and it looks like they aren't doing it anymore.

Have also received info from the crowd in Belgium

Where did ye all get it done?

Whats all this about fills ?, noticed on the belgium one its €120 per fill - how often do you get this done ??

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

As another poster said GP not helpful at all so have to go private and would prefer the cheapest and best option.

Thanks in advance.

hi i too tried to go thru acc but they have actually closed. then i was going to get it done in the galway clinic but it consists of alot of test and takes months. in the end i found out that a crowd from england called the hospital group have bought out acc and they will eventually b trading in south of ireland but 4 now u need to see them thru belfast. i went to their clinic in belfast 4 my consultation and they booked me in to their hospital in bromsgrove birmingham . i went over on wed2nd july . got it done thurs. and home friday. they were very nice. i would recomend them. still on fluids and have lost 1 stone.

Hi im new at this. i was just wondering whats the name of the clinic in galway as i have asked my gp about banding and he says he wounld be happy to reffer me. i have a medical card and would like to follow up on it. he says he will leave it up to me to research so i would be very happy if some 1 could point me in the right direction :Dancing_biggrin:

Dr Oliver McAnena at the Galway Clinic does it. It costs about 15K private unless you can get it done thru the HSE. Thats all I know Im afraid as I had mine done elsewhere.

Best of luck

Ellen