Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!! someone!!!PLEASE!!!

Hi all, I just have a question. I have been on Clear Liquids and Protein Drinks since surgery, 5-12-08. Early this morning I woke up with the most horrible epigastric pains. I got nauseated, cold and clamy. I got up and took some liquid tylenol, gas X and a little milk of mag. Nothing was working. I was up walking for an hour when I looked in my Lap Band compainion book and it said to try some warm tea, so I a made warm pepermint tea. Finally at about 4:30 am I was able to go back to sleep. I had to be up for work at 6:30. This happened one other time and I called my Dr and he had me go for an upper G.I. Everything looked good at that time. I just don't want to go through this again. Anyone else have this problem and how do you prevent it. Becky

Becky...it sounds like this could be stomach spasms to me. The fact that drinking something warm helped with the discomfort bolsters my opinion.

However, since this is not the first time you've had this pain and I'm not doctor (don't even play one on TV!), you should probably check in with your surgeon.

Feel better.

I will see my doc for my first post op visit on Thurs. If this happens again I will call before Thurs. thanks, Becky

I haven't had a fill yet, I am only 1 week post op. I was just wondering if this is the gas pains people have talked about. I never had them in the hospital or the first few days. Becky

Hi all, I just have a question. I have been on clear liquids and Protein drinks since surgery, 5-12-08. Early this morning I woke up with the most horrible epigastric pains. I got nauseated, cold and clamy. I got up and took some liquid tylenol, gas X and a little milk of mag. Nothing was working. I was up walking for an hour when I looked in my Lap Band compainion book and it said to try some warm tea, so I a made warm pepermint tea. Finally at about 4:30 am I was able to go back to sleep. I had to be up for work at 6:30. This happened one other time and I called my Dr and he had me go for an upper G.I. Everything looked good at that time. I just don't want to go through this again. Anyone else have this problem and how do you prevent it. Becky

Becky

I just talked to my DIL who is a nurse too - sounds like you may be having some gas bubbles.. My xdh had that problem too - what are you eating before bed.. do you have a cpap machine - do you sleep on your back.

Not much help here but trying :thumbup:

Hi Janet, I usually don't have anything before bed and I don't have a cpap machine. I usually like to sleep on my stomach or side but have not been able to do that yet. I have had to sleep on my back and I hate it. Will it hurt my band to sleep on my stomach or side? the two times I have experienced this pain has been very early in the morning after about 6 hrs of sleep. Today was my first day back to work and I was pretty wiped out. Should I have something in my stomach before bedtime? I will see my doc this week so he will be able to advise me on these things. I just expected everything to be back to normal after a week. I want to find out when I can start exercising again. I have just been walking a mile or so over the past 3 days. Thanks for listening. Becky

What really surprises me is that your doctor or his office didn't repair you well ahead of your surgery as to what yo would need to do. One of the first things my Doctor (Surgeon0 told me was that he was going to educate me about what was going to happen and what my part would be. Give Him another call.

You will fill full for some time after your surgery, I had my surgery about 3 1/2 weeks ago. For the first few weeks I felt full all the time, it was a chore for me to even get my liquids down. I also made the mistake of taking a couple of bites of a banana and I really did some damage to my esophagus, my dr.s advice was to take something for heart burn, because everytime I tried to get my liquids down it hurt with every sip. Just remember slow and easy will win the race

Thanks lorib I appreciate the advise and the support. I know that this will get better. Becky

beckn, I have a friend that was recently banded and similiar symptons, but worse. Turns out due to lack of any solid in her stomach she devleoped too much acid in her stomch and it caused her nasuea, pain, couldn't swallow, etc, (no history acid reflux) Our Dr had to give her Nexium and a liquid stomach med to take for several days, as she was able to get solid (mushy in) symptons died out. I would definately have your Dr check you out just to make sure everything is ok, You could be the same way. Our Dr puts us on mushy by 4th day, but wasnt soon enough for her. She is doing much better now.

Well I will say after being on this site in particular, the one thing I think we can all agree on is that there is a great extreme on what Lap band Dr.s do pre and post surgery with respect to diet guidelines. With all the research I did, the one thing I can honestly say I missed is how different all the doctors are with respect to diet guidelines. I only visited one site before banding, but I went to several seminars in my area and most of the initial information seemed to be the same. However, since then being on 3 different sites, now only 2, I have seen such extremes. I will say I am very happy with the process my Dr. used which seems to be very different than most of yours but has worked well for me and many others I know who use him. I only hope all of you out there have been as happy, I know some are like Indiogirl55 because I have seen her posts.

I just wonder if some of the more extreme measures are as necessary as some of the Dr may feel, especially when I read how much more bandster hell those patients are going thru compared to others. Please do not take this to mean they are not good Dr.s , I just wonder why such extremes exist? Wouldn't you think the guidlines would be a little more consistent? At first I thought maybe it had to do with the amount of weight to be lost or the BMI levell, but it seems to be more Dr related. anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts on this. I pray we all do well with our Dr and choices. We deserve the best all the time.

Hi sugarbear, great observations and advise. I went back over my post op instructions and realized that I was supposed to be taking Prilosec each day. It had been called to my pharmacy and I picked it up yesterday. I had a much better night and slept very well. I guess there was so much going on with everything I just forgot. I agree there is a wide variety of pre and post op directions from the different surgeons out there and different schools of thought. I have the upmost confidence in my surgeon and I will try to follow his orders as directed. I get to have mushies tomorrow....yippee. My friend who had the surgery 2 weeks ago with this surgeon is doing well and says that it will feel wonderful to have some texture, just to go slowly. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You seem very like a very bright gal. Becky

Hi sugarbear, great observations and advise. I went back over my post op instructions and realized that I was supposed to be taking Prilosec each day. It had been called to my pharmacy and I picked it up yesterday. I had a much better night and slept very well. I guess there was so much going on with everything I just forgot. I agree there is a wide variety of pre and post op directions from the different surgeons out there and different schools of thought. I have the upmost confidence in my surgeon and I will try to follow his orders as directed. I get to have mushies tomorrow....yippee. My friend who had the surgery 2 weeks ago with this surgeon is doing well and says that it will feel wonderful to have some texture, just to go slowly. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You seem very like a very bright gal. Becky

Ok Becky so the prilosec helped that's good - I take pecid chewables only when I get heart burn - I think I was able to sleep on my side by a week out or so - and no it's not going to hurt the band - just your incisions - I would move slowly to a side/tummy sleeping postition and once I got there i was ok - but everyone is diff - just take it slow - and talk to your doc this week.

Hugs

Hi Janet, Yeah I am a little over a week out and I was able to sleep on a 3/4 side postion with a pillow at my back. It was heaven. I think my little dog Lola and Dottie my kitty slept better too. My poor husband has been sleeping in the Quest room this past week. Maybe he will be able to sleep back in our bed soon. Today is my best day yet. I feel almost 100%, just a tiny bit of incisional pain. It helps to hear how others have done this. Thanks, Becky