Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Officially Discouraged!!!

Well today I finally got my first fill. (banded Jan 14th) 16 full weeks from surgery. My Dr gives me .5 cc's. He trys to tell me this is ALOT. I explain to him that I have done much research and read these message boards and that I felt it was very conservative considering how long I have been waiting and since I can eat very large portions still. I did not sway him at all. He kept on about how it is not good to put great pressure on the stomach and this fill will help me alot. I'll notice a big difference. I asked him "what if I don't feel restriction?" He said (get ready), "If you are still feeling hunger we will give you another very small fill when I see you again in 4 months" I questioned it thouroughly. Said I felt 16 weeks was extremely excessive but he wasn't having it. So I guess I can expect to have a whopping 1 cc fill by my one year aniversary. Does this seem crazy to anyone else???

Thats crap! I've been going in once a week or once every 2 weeks. I've had 4 fills and am going back on the 19th. I'm close but like you still hungry and not losing much weight. Try to find another fill Dr if you can. Sorry hope it gets better. I have a 9cc band with 4.5cc's in right now. I get hungry about 2 hours after eating. Good luck chrissie

Wow. I do find this excessive. What is the point of a band if the doctor is not going to fill it to the point of proper restriction. I am having a hard time understanding his way of thinking. I'm very sorry you are going through this. I think I would be looking for a different doctor if that was happening to me. I was banded 1 week before you and I have 6.8 cc's in a 9 cc band. The surgeon wants to see me in his office every 4 to 6 weeks... more often if not losing 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. I hope you can work something out here!

Oh damn, your doc is being ridiculous. how big is your band? a 4cc? Are you able to go anywhere else for fills? I was banded on jan 23 and am going for my 4th fill this Thursday. I would look into if you have any other options to get fills done elsewhere if possible. That's CRAZY

Wow that stinks. I have a 10cc band and have 6.1 cc's in it now. Banded 12/31/08. My doctor wants me in once a month. I agree with the other posters, see if you can find another fill doctor. ARe you paying for your fills in full?

You don't say what size or brand your band is, but my fill doctor told me that Inamed's recommendation for the 4-5 cc band is 2 cc's at the first fill. Honestly, I think doctors who will only give out .5 cc fills are generally trying to ensure multiple office visits. Is this the doctor who performed your surgery as well? If not (and even if so), it would probably be a good idea to investigate other options.

Good luck--I know it must be frustrating, but your progress has been fantastic!

This does seem a bit too conservative. My first fill was right around 6 weeks post-op, and I got 3 cc in my 4 cc band. I was more than thrilled to get an aggressive fill, and I have been doing really well, with no complications. Maybe you could find another bariatric doctor in your area to take over your fills?

I was discouraged to find out that I have a 4cc band. I guess because after reading all of the threads I am hearing about people with 10cc bands and having an average of 6cc and 7.5ccs. I got my first fill on last week. I got 2ccs. I feel very little restriction. Is this normal considering I only have a 4cc band? When can I expect a restriction? I have scheduled an appointment with fill center usa in Roswell, GA. I am hoping and praying that I can get up to at least 3.5. I really hope this thing works for me. :wink2:

That sounds kind of ridiculous... and I thought my surgeon was conservative?? My goodness!

You might be better off seeing if there is someone else you can go to. Contact your insurance provider, and you might want to even put in a formal complaint about this surgeon to them.

I was banded Jan. 23 with a 10cc band and I have 5.5 in it now. I am going back next Tuesday for another fill. My doc said he finds his patients with a 10cc band are usually comfortable at about 7-8cc's.

I was banded 3/28/08, went 2 weeks later for post op, and was down 12.5lbs, then at my first fill 2 weeks later down another 4lbs. Got 2cc's that day and don't go back till 06/03/08 for another fill, but don't feel any restriction and feel like all the weight loss up to this point is pure "willpower". Getting frustrated also because just like with other diets I feel like I won't be able to keep it up. Really waiting/wanting to feel restriction, but instead "will" myself not to eat any more. Have been making better food choices, but still not sure how long I can keep it up or if I will plateau.

When I went in for the first fill I was excited to see how much I had lost, now I am scared I will have put weight on. So far I have gotten rid of 2 HUGE garbage bags of "too big" clothes and things are much looser and baggier, but still scared because I don't feel much restriction. :wink2:

You have to remember they operated on our stomachs not our heads. I still go out to eat and think I can have an appetizer, salad, meal, and dessert! Well I can't physically, so mentally we have to remind ourselves everyday. Everyone is going to have a bad day now and then.

I am a tester I spent the past week or so testing myself and my band I certainly failed the test I gained 8 pounds. But now I am done with that and I will get back up and keep going.

It takes time it is really slow and sometimes frustrating but when we finally get the restriction we are looking for it will be easier (hopefully?). No I am sure it will be easier then.

As for the clothes in the garbage bags I did the same thing now we need to have a little self confidence and tell ourselves that we are never going to be in them again and throw them out or sell them or donate them whatever just get them out of the house.

Good luck

WeightWatcher, I have a 4 cc band. There is no benefit to having one size band over another--your surgeon decided which size to give you based on which brand he/she prefers and the size of your stomach. Bigger band does not = more restriction.

And now back to the OP--the consensus seems to be that you should look for services elsewhere. I'm so sorry you're struggling, and that your doctor isn't providing the kind of support you need. Good luck!

I'm feeling the same too. I had one fill and it wasn't much, i think it was 1.5. I did feel restriction for awhile and I am eating much less than I was before. The pounds are coming off as quickly as I want them to, in fact it looks as if I gained 5 pounds this weekend. I keep questioning myself if I should have had gastric by pass instead.

Thanks for the replies...I put a phone call in to the Dr today. (I got a call back from his nurse) Anyway, he has agreed to see me on June 24th. That was the first appointment I could get. I have come to the conclusion that he is just far too busy and has overextended his services. I started to realize this at his last support group. I think there was about 200 people there. And he is the only Dr at his office. He quadrouple books his appointment slots and once I waited 2.5 hours in his office to be seen for a scheduled appointment. I guess I need someone who has a bit more time for his patients.