Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being Banded has NOT changed me.

The only thing the band or my kids or having been pregnaNT OR GETTING CLOSER TO 40 THAN AWAY FROM IT or what ever has done. Is I really find myself looking for reasons to get off the couch and exercise. I never thought I would say that- but I am bitchier and nastier and more easily angered by my kids the days I midd exercising (or heaven forbid I miss about three- and dh will suggest maybe it is time for the treadmill or to go to the Y for a swim)

Other than that I have learned that I can beat this too- but I wish I felt I had given myself the will power to stick to a 1200 calorie diet for as long the band has! But I couldn't do it and at least now I can eat the good stuff and the bad stuff (never thought a happy meal would make 2 or three meals for me in my life)

Jane

Hi Lisa,

Cant make it between 5 and 6 your time. But I love ya!!! I know lots of folks think that I dont battel food demons cause I lost a lot of weight, but I do every single day. That has not changed. I have been on a plateau for 6 weeks and I want to scream!!! I have been sneaking a teaspoon of Peanut Butter here and a handful of chips there. I thought I was being wise about using butter spray on my healthy pop popcorn and found out that my 15 second sprays were adding up to over 100 calories! So I kicked the can to the curb....

Donali made a great suggestion. Go out and take a belly dancing class. Finger paint. Take a stripper class. There are lots of things that will get you out of the house and away from the refrigerator.

Hugs,

Babs in TX

334/180/170

-154 and stuck!!!!

I guess what I was trying to say was that "They" say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. First, who the heck are "they?" And have they ever broken a habit in 21 days?

My point is I was hoping some of my old habits would have gotten a little easier. I tried a little experiment on myself last week. I tried counting how many times thoughts of food interupted my thought pattern, and I couldn't even keep up the count. Thoughts flood my brain at least every 2 minutes.

I don't think anything is corny when we are trying to make a new life for myself. Guitarman, I wish you were closer cause I've been dying to pick up my guitar again and finally learn it, but I can't find a good instructor. I took a few classes here and there, but I sure wish I could make some decent noise come out of that thing.

Yes, I can and SHOULD take night classes again. I adore school. I can even afford $25.00 these days but I need the push to get started (like a catalog needs to whack me upside the head.)

Yes, I've come very far. I've learned enormous things. Most important I'm not letting anyone keep me from posting any more. I've dealt with the liars and will try to come to LBT every single night for support and wisdom. So I guess I have changed because I am like 90% better at getting all my Water in. I eat slower almost all the time. I finally chew my food. Eating slow and chewing food are definitely things the Band controls.

It's almost 5:30 p.m., which would be 8:30 p.m. on the east coast, but nobody was in chat. And I'm 100% Polish so this thread accepts all Polish jokes!

I was late for chat cuz my truck broke. It actually broke months ago but duct tape was keeping it together. I learned one more valuable lesson, that duct tape is only good during winter months cause the minute it gets warm it gets all gooey and stretchy. So I finally dropped it off for repair$. But finding all you guys right here is like when Dorothy finally wakes up and sees her loved ones standing over her bed. That's the feeling I have right now, and it ain't a bad feeling at all. Deep warm fuzzies you guys.

The Food Monkey. That sounds like a book I should write!

OK Delarla I was just in there and it says you are there but you never responded. SO poo on you.

HUGS anyway.

Hi Lisa,

I'm glad to see you still here and using LBT. I was bummed when you were missing in action for awhile but you always make me smile. Your really not very alone at all. I have the same bad evening eating habit as you. I basically starve all day and do nothing but munch all evening. My hubby is at work from 5 pm to 1 am so I'm all alone all evening. Sometimes I make good choices but a lot of times I make bad ones too. I'd imagine that is why I've been plateaued for 3 months. I need to break the cycle. I also haven't been to Water aerobics since last november and keep having to stall getting back into it because of my car accident problems (neck and shoulder keep alternating flare ups. I had xrays and an ultra sound last week) When my shoulder hurt the most (I was off of work for over a week) ALL I did was eat comfort foods. When I went back to the docs I was prepared to have gained 5 lbs but expected a 10 lb gain. I was happy to find out I stayed the exact same! After an entire batch of Cookies, chips and eating anything else you could think of, I was pretty happy staying the same. I do tend to do a lot better if I remember to eat Breakfast and pack a bite for lunch. If I come home ravenous it is the beginning of the end. I'm sorry your band journey has been so tough and hope someday it goes more smoothly. I really do think a fun evening class might just be the right answer. Anyway best wishes to you, Teresa

Missed the chat already -- but I feel ya'...

Approaching 2 years out and have endured complications as (I think) you have... happy to have achieved some weight loss... but can get very depressed with the way I "use" food still. When my son was very young, after I'd get him to bed, I'd relax with food. He's now 15 and I still engage in the same behaviors!!! Good band restriction helped...but mandated unfills took care of that.

I think -- after all I've been through -- two surgeries and on-again, off-again pain and/or discomfort -- why am I sabatoging my success??? The million dollar question, if ever there was one.

Hang in there, girl, you are not alone.

Elizabeth

Delarla

There She was just a walking down the street. Singing Do a ditty ditty dum ditty do

Snappin her fingers & humming to the beat . Singing Do a ditty ditty dum ditty do

SHE LOOKED GOOD she looked good SHE LOOKED FINE she looked fine & THAN I NEARLY LOST MY MIND...ooohho oohhh

I just got in and am way late for chat, but if y'all try this again some other night I'll be there. Boy, is this thread relevant for me today. There's a new Coldstone ice cream just off campus, right on my way home, and it was calling my name. I normally don't beat myself up for occasional treats, but they've been more than occasional this last week, and I can't blame hormones or steroids (not anabolic ones!) this time around. Broiled chicken makes me PB, but ice cream and brownies slide right down. I feel like I need a personal cop to yell, "Stop! Get away from the spoon!"

Lisa,

I'm new and we haven't really chatted and I'm not banded yet (4-17 hopfully) but I know what you are feeling. Nighttime is difficult for me too and I am very concerned about what to do about it. I'm thinking just come home from work and got straight to bed! Whaddya think?

There are a lot of good suggestions here.

So I'd like to put my two cents worth in about the people talking about you....when I was younger (and skinney) I was pretty wild and reckless, so much so that I got a reputation. It wasn't deserved but it hurt me none the less. I talked to an older woman friend about it and she gave me this advice which I have lived by ever since...and it has truly made my life much simpler. She told me that if I find myself in a situation where people are talking about me negatively, first evaluate who "those" people are, if they are loved ones, dear friends or coworkers (who can have an influence over my career) find a way to address it, but if they aren't they "they" don't matter so blow them off and look at it as a personal service, if they are talking about you they are leaving some poor schmuck alone.

We should never let people who don't "matter" affect us or keep us from doing things we want to do.

Like I said just my two cents worth....

My difficult time seems to be during the work day. :) Night seems to be okay for right now because I can go to sleep and worry about hunger in the morning.

Having the band only changed my outlook on things in that I now know that I am NOT invincible and life is oh so precious. Other than that, I am still the opinionated bitch I have always been. :)

In a perfect world of eating I would always prepare my food and I know what is good for me and my stomach.

I would not attempt to waste anymore money in the restraunts that peddle my demise.

I would not try and try again to get food down I know i shouldnt even begin.

I would always eat to live not live to eat.

Eating would not be a recreation at anytime.

After all the time, effort, and money I have spent!

Thats in a perfect world. My wants and my will are very strong.

We are not perfect and accepting the progress made is accepting ourselves in reality!

Thank ya very much! :)

As always, Donali is sooo right! I hadn't even though to recommend a night class to you Lisa-- I think that is a F-A-B idea!

I haven't been banded long enough to have been really "changed" as most people understand the context. I haven't used my inhaler for WEEEKS now! Not a squeek, not a wheeze! I remain dilligent in carring my puffers with me, but I honestly don't remember the last time I used one! This is a dramatic change for me, since before I was banded I was using my inhalers far too often, and using the nebulizer several times a week.

After losing close to 200 pounds, I don't think my husband has changed. I think he's gone back to being the very big guy I married.

Oh...Gram...it's worth it.

One thing I have to add to this whole thread is that once you get a good level of restriction, EVERYTHING changes.

Untiil my last fill, I was struggling to control my eating- especially at night. I felt totally controlled by food even though I had restriction and couldn't eat a lot. chips and cheese, candy, Cookies...all of these things called my name every day after about 4 in the afternoon. Then I got another fill and I- seriously- have to remind myself to eat. My stomach growls and that tells me I haven't eated in a few hours and should start thinking about it. I live on summer sausage slices and chicken thighs marinated in yummy stuff. I don't feel that terrible, uncontrollable all consumming urge to eat anymore. I go to bed a lot of the time hungry because I'm just not that interested in eating. This is very, very different for me because when I havne't had a good fill, I've gone to bed sore from eating too much, too.

So, moral of the story- Lisa, of course you don't feel physically and emotionally all that different...you have a band that is not working at it's optimal level. Until you can get another fill you're not going to get the full benefits of the band, and thinking that you can is only going to bring you heartache. I think in another post you covered that you had re-thought how your band is going to work for you going forward, and that's very important and very wise.

Megan