Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes, does the lap band help?

My husband has stage 2 diabetes. Does anyone know for sure if lap banding will help cure this? I thought I heard if you have diabetes, gastric bypass will cure that, but I'm not sure with lap banding. He is not to overweight but has health problems that by losing weight should help with, but the diabetes is the worst. If you know or have this situation too, please let me know what you can.

Many thanks, Debbie

My husband has stage 2 diabetes. Does anyone know for sure if lap banding will help cure this? I thought I heard if you have diabetes, gastric bypass will cure that, but I'm not sure with lap banding. He is not to overweight but has health problems that by losing weight should help with, but the diabetes is the worst. If you know or have this situation too, please let me know what you can.

Many thanks, Debbie

Hi Debbie -

I have Type II Diabetes. My doctor told me that weight loss will put my Diabetes into remission. She told me that Gastric Bypass will do it faster, but the Lap Band works effectively as well.

I also have very high blood pressure and my doctor is hopeful that this weight loss surgery will lower my BP as well.

What does your husband's PCP say? My doctor actually recommended me for Gastric Bypass surgery, but I'm not interested in rearranging my insides, so I chose Lap Band.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it helps alot. He is only considering lap band to get rid of his diabetes or at least drop his insulin. I will give him this article. I just saw the diabetes forum, this is great. Thanks again.

I was recently at a seminar with people in different stages of their banding. One woman had had to take 5 insulin shots a day and she said 3 days after her banding she was totally off all the shots! Now I am sure that isn't the usual but I was mighty impressed by that. I have heard similar stories about HBP. Too bad mine is from PCOS so I doubt it will go down but I am hopefully since one of those drugs is not going to fit and it can't be broken. Good luck to you and your hubby too.

I was on Metformin (2000mgs a day) before surgery and my readings were somewhere between 90-low to 150-high. After surgery I stopped taking the meds since the pills were too large to take and my blood sugar has never gotten above 120. So the food restriction and weighgt loss does work.

Debbie,

I had the surgery specifically to avoid starting diabetes meds because I couldn't keep my BG numbers under control with diet/exercise. I had to self-pay because I wasn't heavy enough for insurance to cover it, but my FBG is low-normal now and has been since before Thanksgiving. Worth every penny.

I think if your husband is in a normal weight range, the surgery would be too drastic a step (higher risk of complications from surgery than from his diabetes).

BUT: I saw a blurb on 60 Minutes a few weeks ago. Mentioned the diabetes/gastric bypass link, and said that Italian doctors are researching a surgery specifically for diabetics that AREN'T overweight (something about disconnecting/rerouting the duodenum above the pancreatic duct).

Maybe if he waits a couple of years?

I had been Type II diabetic and on 2-3 kinds of diabetic meds a day for 25 years...plus other meds. I also had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides..... and had had 4 heart stents as well a number of other weight-related issues.

I had surgery at 350 lbs......BMI of 62 - at age 62. Within just a few weeks I had to taper off my diabetic meds because my glucose levels were falling.....and within 6 months I was off all of them. And within a year I was off all my meds for everything. All I take now is a Vitamin and Calcium.

Please understand that I have been a very compliant patient. Some doctors will tell you that with lapband you eat the same, just eat less. That's not going to cure anything....it'll help, but it won't cure. I do not eat any white, starchy carbs of any kind.....I have not had potato, rice, Pasta, white bread, corn, etc in 26 months....I do eat good carbs such as geen vegetables,Beans, etc but I keep the carb count less than 40-50 per day. I don't eat anything made with sugar.

I also see that I have at least 80-100 grams/protein every day. With a small pouch, about half of that has to come from supplement. I enjoy them, make them many different ways. Yes, they cost money - but they are not nearly as expensive as junk food, cokes, large sized clothes, prescriptions and doctor bills.

I realize that not all lapbanders eat the way I do......but not all lapbanders had the serious illnesses that I did - it is apparently necessry for some of us to be more strict with our food intake than it is others.

What was the most surprising to me is.....I don't miss those foods! I don't crave them. After about a month of detoxing them from my body, the 'pain' of giving them up was gone. It has been very liberating to be free from the constant obsession with food and eating and the guilt of eating things that were destroying my life.

I wish you and your husband the best......whatever it takes, the journey is worth it!!

I also saw 60 minutes, and it was amazing. They did talk about the insurance issue, that it was being looked at for diabetics even if you don't meet the BMI requirement. I was right at BMI 40, but with numerous health issues - high BP, high Choles, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis in my knees and requiring replacement, back trouble, low thyroid, etc etc and I'm only 54. I just decided this wasn't living and had to do this. My insurance approved me right away. Good luck!

Debbie,

My mother has had stage 2 for years and as of last week she hit the 60lb weight loss having had the procedure in December. Her doctor took her off her diabetes meds and actually cut her dose in half a month after surgery.

The word cure is tough, but the fact is that significant weight loss will either get rid of the type II or at least make it more easily manageable.

I am a Type II diabetic on Lantus, Byetta (injectables), Glyb/Metformin and Actos (oral meds). Since my surgery on 2/25/08 I have lowered my Lantus from 100 units down to 20 units a night. I have been having trouble maintaining a blood glucose level between 80 and 120 due to the weight loss. I am hoping to cut back on oral meds at my next appointment in June. My PCP told me she believes I will probably be off the Diabetic meds within 6 months at my present rate of weight loss.

I have Type II as well, diagnosed in April of last year. It was one of my main reasons for deciding to pursue the surgery. Not my only one, as I weighed 356 lbs. when diagnosed, lol. According to my PCP, at 3 years out from Lap-Band surgery, over 70% of Type II diabetics will have self resolved. That is huge for me. I am just over a month out from surgery, and I have already had to taper off my meds (Byetta and Metformin). Just losing the first 50 lbs. has made an amazing difference, I can not wait to see what happens as I lose more! Good luck to you and your hubby!

Gayle,

I thank you for your in depth explanation. My husband does have heart problems, and he too has stents. He is going to my lapband doctor tonight for discussion. All of the many replies were wonderful. I believe you all are really great. My husband is not really overweight, he is about 200 lbs. and 5"9, but his diabetes is awful. He is on a new med since he had to come off Metformin, (something with your liver after being on it a long time). He has had diabetes for 18 years and is on Lantus shots nightly. His eye site is bad, now has cateracts, and his heart doctor says he really has to watch is food intake or he will have problems with his heart again if he gains weight. The problem with my husband is he loves carbs, Pasta, bread, etc. It dosen't help that we are Italian and that is a main staple in their diets. I think if he can give up carbs like you, he will be better off. I too gave up soda, bread, Pasta, cakes, anything like breads. I cannot digest it at all. It seems like lately I throw up every meal that I have solid food. It takes time to settle, and eventually I can eat. Strange. But, thank you all for your replies.

Debbie

LessandLess and Everyone Else who Helped Me!!!!

You are all so sweet to reply. I really appreciate all the comments.

Thank you all.

Debbie

There is very good evidence from Australia that the band can actually have people off their insulin from as soon as the day after surgery. That's probably not typical, it more often happens once some good weight loss is achieved but a) anything that helps you lose weight will help diabetes and :wink: the band itself seems to have some sort of positive effect even before weight loss but they havent identified what that is yet.